Sponsored

What engine oil and oil filter? Oil change intervals?

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester Wilderness
Purolator response: There is no Purolator Boss version of the PL11411 as you are already aware.
Tech seems a little testy with our questions lol
I recently received similar response without explanation on why Boss works in 2018 Camry but not Tacoma.

I wrote - 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad gas L4 2.4l Turbo.
It's factory filter is 90915-YZZN1 (NA) or 90915-10009 (Japan made and installed from factory)
Cross reference that puts me into your One 11411 and no Boss option.
Here's the curious part however, the 2018 Toyota Camry also uses the 90915-YZZN1 and cross reference puts it into One 11411, Purolator Boss 14476, or One 14476.
Does the Boss 14476 also then correlate to the new Tacoma?

"Mike,

Toyota 90915-YZZN1 crosses to Purolator PL11411, we have not made a decision to offer this in a Boss version."
Sponsored

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
If you can see them at a store ( One 11411, Purolator Boss 14476, or One 14476) you should be able to tell holding them next to each other whether they would work.

Armyn21

First Name
Armyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport
1st change was at 1k miles then used toyota 0w20 up to 5k miles then switched to 0w30 mobil 1 AFE and a Fram Synthetic Endurance filter. will change every 5k miles. current miles is 9700

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1st change was at 1k miles then used toyota 0w20 up to 5k miles then switched to 0w30 mobil 1 AFE and a Fram Synthetic Endurance filter. will change every 5k miles. current miles is 9700
At the risk of starting an oil debate, here is something I found on another site:

I I wasn't sure if this was going to be an issue but actually ow-20 far out performs ow-30 oil which is why it's more expensive, here is a really good write up of the differences. Essentially 0w-30 does not protect your engine nearly as well as 0w-20 but is ideal for more extreme temperatures (temperatures of over 400°F).

While the 0w30 motor oil promises to protect your engine from tear, the 0w20 motor oil does this in a more outstanding and dramatic way. According to a study that was carried out with the 0w20 motor oil, it was revealed that this motor oil leaves your motor parts about four times (4×) smoother.
The 0w20 motor oil offers you a much more superior wear and tear protection on some of the essential or vital parts of the engine. The 0w30 motor oil, on the other hand, does not offer you the same assurance. When it comes to viscosity breakdown, the 0w20 motor oil happens to offer you a higher and unsurpassed level of protection that the 0w30 motor oil cannot offer.

Armyn21

First Name
Armyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport
At the risk of starting an oil debate, here is something I found on another site:

I I wasn't sure if this was going to be an issue but actually ow-20 far out performs ow-30 oil which is why it's more expensive, here is a really good write up of the differences. Essentially 0w-30 does not protect your engine nearly as well as 0w-20 but is ideal for more extreme temperatures (temperatures of over 400°F).
id rather believe my cousin whos a tribologist for 7 yrs and work for valvoline and spits out 110% facts rather than some dude that speculates.. EPA regulates this lightweight oils for the USA bec of smog and fuel efficiency. its ok to go 1 weight above whats recommended but you will loose a very tiny fraction of mpg (0.5mpg) i wouldnt go to much details but this is what he has to say.

Sponsored

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Is the standard 0w-20 Toyota genuine synthetic motor oil all we need for our trucks or did Toyota update their genuine oil to be specific for the 2024 tacomas?

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra CrewMax
Is the standard 0w-20 Toyota genuine synthetic motor oil all we need for our trucks or did Toyota update their genuine oil to be specific for the 2024 tacomas?
The oil is not unique to the Tacoma. Any 0W-20 spec engine can run it.

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I use Costco 0W-20. Same stuff as Walmart Super Tech and Amazon Basics. Comparable to Mobil 1 in tests.

GMak621

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma TRD ØR
I use Costco 0W-20. Same stuff as Walmart Super Tech and Amazon Basics. Comparable to Mobil 1 in tests.
X2 I run Kirkland Synthetic. Price is approx. $3.50/qt buying in bulk online. 12 qts at a time.

Cheap enough to change it whenever you desire.

TrustButVerify

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Last edited:

Sponsored

OlafTheNork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Pro
'Great thread. Thank you everyone. Re: best oil filters, I did my own research on this thread and otherwise. I then ran a "ChatGPT" AI session with the following question and results are below "Verdict" at the end. IMO it matches the results of my research and "might be" a great summary of the above. See what ya'all think. Since Purolator Boss is not available and I'm not yet ready to jump back into AmsOil, I'm going with Mobil 1 filter.

Also, Merrillville, IN Toyota dealer Service Manager said if I brought in my own oil and filter they would do the oil and filter change for labor only. I'll advise what that labor cost is here when I take it in. Past has been $29, now I'm sure $35 for the labor. It's worth it to me.

Olaf: Which is the best oil filter: Mobil One, STP, KN, Amsoil, Purolator or Fram?

ChatGPT: When comparing oil filters from Mobil 1, STP, K&N, Amsoil, Purolator, and Fram, the best option depends on your specific needs, such as vehicle type, driving conditions, and budget. Here’s a detailed comparison to help you choose:

1. Mobil 1

Performance:
Mobil 1 oil filters are highly regarded for their efficiency and longevity, especially when used with synthetic oils. They offer excellent filtration, trapping a high percentage of contaminants, and are designed for extended oil change intervals.

Build Quality: High-quality synthetic blend media provides superior filtration.

Best For: High-performance vehicles, synthetic oil users, and those looking for extended drain intervals.

2. STP

Performance:
STP filters are budget-friendly and provide decent filtration for regular driving conditions. While they don’t offer the high-end performance of some other brands, they are reliable for standard oil change intervals.

Build Quality: Adequate for everyday driving, but not as robust as premium brands.

Best For: Budget-conscious consumers or those with standard driving conditions.

3. K&N

Performance:
K&N oil filters are designed for high-performance vehicles, offering high oil flow rates and the ability to handle higher oil pressures. They are popular among enthusiasts for their durability and efficiency under demanding conditions.

Build Quality: Heavy-duty canisters and synthetic filter media ensure durability and superior filtration.

Best For: Performance-oriented drivers, high-performance engines, and off-road or racing conditions.

4. Amsoil

Performance:
Amsoil filters are top-tier in terms of filtration and durability. They are designed to work exceptionally well with synthetic oils, offering outstanding efficiency and support for extended oil change intervals, even under extreme conditions.

Build Quality: Premium construction with advanced synthetic media provides excellent filtration and longevity.

Best For: Those who use synthetic oils and prefer extended drain intervals, particularly in high-performance or severe driving conditions.

5. Purolator

Performance:
Purolator offers a range of filters, from the budget-friendly PurolatorONE to the premium PurolatorBOSS. These filters are known for their efficiency and reliability, with the BOSS model offering top-tier filtration and long life.

Build Quality: PurolatorBOSS and PurolatorONE use advanced synthetic media for excellent filtration, while the Purolator Classic is more basic but still reliable.

Best For: A wide range of vehicles, with PurolatorBOSS being ideal for those seeking premium filtration, and PurolatorONE offering a good balance of performance and value.

6. Fram

Performance:
Fram offers a broad range of filters, from the budget-friendly Fram Extra Guard to the premium Fram Ultra Synthetic. The Ultra Synthetic is designed for high filtration efficiency and extended use with synthetic oils.

Build Quality: Varies by model; the Ultra Synthetic model has solid construction and high-efficiency synthetic media.

Best For: Budget-conscious users (with the Extra Guard) or those looking for premium filtration at a reasonable price (with the Ultra Synthetic).

Verdict

For Premium Filtration and Extended Performance:
Amsoil and Mobil 1 are the top choices. Amsoil stands out for extreme conditions and extended drain intervals, while Mobil 1 is excellent for overall high performance with synthetic oils.

For Performance Enthusiasts: K&N is ideal, particularly for high-performance vehicles and demanding driving conditions.

For Balanced Performance and Value: PurolatorBOSS offers excellent filtration at a reasonable price, making it a strong choice for most drivers. Mobil 1 is also a great option in this category.

For Budget-Friendly Options: Fram (Extra Guard) and STP provide decent performance at lower costs, suitable for standard oil change intervals and everyday driving.

Conclusion: If you're looking for the absolute best in filtration and performance, Amsoil and Mobil 1 are at the top. PurolatorBOSS is an excellent middle-ground option for those who want quality without the highest price. K&N is perfect for performance enthusiasts, while Fram and STP are reliable choices for those on a budget.

Vidman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tundra,1967 chevelle, 1972 c-10 pro street
id rather believe my cousin whos a tribologist for 7 yrs and work for valvoline and spits out 110% facts rather than some dude that speculates.. EPA regulates this lightweight oils for the USA bec of smog and fuel efficiency. its ok to go 1 weight above whats recommended but you will loose a very tiny fraction of mpg (0.5mpg) i wouldnt go to much details but this is what he has to say.
Your cousin is correct

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000
I doubt it would happen but i wonder if toyota would ever deny warranty due to use of aftermarket oil filter.

I only think of that because the toyota filter has such a high flow rate. Possibly critical for the new turbo.

That flow rate boggles my mind given the small filter surface are. That filter is tiny. I think my lawn mower has a bigger filter. I would happily pay for a larger filter with more filtration and equal flow.

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Costco by me last month had the Mobil 1 0W-20 on sale, bought a few boxes to keep stock for the future.

Personally I have always run the Toyota OE filters. They're about the same price as most of the aftermarket options when bought in bulk, and they don't go bad. So I usually just keep a stockpile of them as my fiance's Lexus takes the same filters.

I always do my oil changes at 5K intervals. Highly recommend if any of ya'll are doing oil changes yourself to pick up the Fumoto valve. Makes oil changes a breeze.

OlafTheNork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Pro
Thank you Ron. I re-ran that ChatGPT again this time including the Toyota (OEM) filter. 'Looks like they agree with you.

Which is the best oil filter: Mobil One, STP, KN, Purolator, Fram or Toyota?

When comparing oil filters from Mobil 1, STP, K&N, Purolator, Fram, and Toyota, each brand has its strengths depending on your vehicle type, driving habits, and maintenance preferences. Here's a detailed comparison of each:
1. Mobil 1
  • Performance: Mobil 1 oil filters are highly rated for their excellent filtration efficiency and long life, especially when used with synthetic oils. They are designed to trap a high percentage of contaminants and are ideal for extended oil change intervals.
  • Build Quality: High-quality synthetic blend media for superior filtration.
  • Best For: High-performance vehicles, synthetic oil users, and those who prefer extended oil change intervals.
2. STP
  • Performance: STP filters are budget-friendly and provide decent filtration for everyday driving. While they may not match the high-end performance of some premium brands, they are reliable for regular oil change intervals.
  • Build Quality: Adequate for standard driving conditions but not as robust as higher-end options.
  • Best For: Budget-conscious consumers or those with typical driving conditions.
3. K&N
  • Performance: K&N oil filters are known for their high flow rates and are designed for high-performance vehicles. They handle higher oil pressures well, making them suitable for demanding driving conditions, such as racing or off-road use.
  • Build Quality: Heavy-duty canisters and synthetic filter media for durability and efficiency.
  • Best For: Performance enthusiasts and those driving high-performance vehicles.
4. Purolator
  • Performance: Purolator offers a range of filters, with the PurolatorONE and PurolatorBOSS being the most popular. These filters provide excellent filtration efficiency and are reliable for both standard and extended oil change intervals.
  • Build Quality: Advanced synthetic media in higher-end models like PurolatorBOSS offers great filtration and durability.
  • Best For: A wide range of vehicles, with PurolatorBOSS being ideal for those looking for premium filtration and PurolatorONE offering a good balance of performance and value.
5. Fram
  • Performance: Fram offers a variety of filters, from the budget-friendly Fram Extra Guard to the premium Fram Ultra Synthetic. The Ultra Synthetic model is designed for synthetic oils and provides high filtration efficiency.
  • Build Quality: Varies by model; Ultra Synthetic has solid construction and efficient synthetic media.
  • Best For: Budget-conscious users (Extra Guard) or those looking for good filtration at a reasonable price (Ultra Synthetic).
6. Toyota (OEM)
  • Performance: Toyota OEM oil filters are specifically designed for Toyota vehicles. They provide reliable filtration and are built to meet the exact specifications of Toyota engines, ensuring optimal performance and protection.
  • Build Quality: High-quality materials and construction, tailored to Toyota’s engineering standards.
  • Best For: Toyota vehicle owners who want a filter that perfectly matches their engine’s requirements and maintains the vehicle’s warranty.
Verdict
  • For Premium Filtration and High Performance: Mobil 1 is a top choice, especially for those using synthetic oil and looking for extended oil change intervals.
  • For Performance Enthusiasts: K&N is ideal, particularly for high-performance vehicles or drivers who push their cars to the limits.
  • For Balanced Performance and Value: PurolatorBOSS offers excellent filtration and durability, making it a great choice for most drivers. Mobil 1 is also a strong contender in this category.
  • For Toyota Owners: Toyota OEM filters are the best choice, as they are specifically designed for Toyota engines, ensuring optimal performance and maintaining warranty coverage.
  • For Budget-Friendly Options: Fram (Extra Guard) and STP are good choices for regular driving conditions and standard oil change intervals, offering reliable performance at a lower cost.
If you drive a Toyota, the Toyota OEM filter is often the best option because it’s designed specifically for your vehicle. For other vehicles, Mobil 1 and PurolatorBOSS stand out as the best overall choices for quality and performance. K&N is perfect for performance-focused drivers, while Fram and STP are solid options for those on a budget.
Sponsored

Reactions: Ron