Sponsored

What engine oil and oil filter? Oil change intervals?

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra CrewMax

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
I've heard that while there isn't any such additives, there's a lot of moly and good stuff like that from assembly lubes etc. I wouldn't want to dump those out too soon.
If the assembly lube has made its way to your oil pan or filter, it is no longer doing its job anyway.

26wx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
If the assembly lube has made its way to your oil pan or filter, it is no longer doing its job anyway.
I'm not sure I agree with that. Plenty of UOAs of the factory fill out there showing high concentrations of moly in the samples. If the samples are pulled correctly, halfway through a drain process, then those are dissolved in the oil.

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester Wilderness
Oem filter tests
this video freaks me out little...might reconsider my plan to use Toyota's oil filter.
I get that flow is very important but Toyota's lack of filtering is considerably less than aftermarket oil filters.

Watching other videos in this filter testing series has me considering the Purolater Boss oil filter.
It has similar flow rates to Toyota's filter, both when the oil is hot and cold, plus it filters out exponentially more particulates than the Toyota brand filter.
Purolator Boss oil filter testing

Sponsored

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From the videos The Motor Oil Geek has done on a 2022 Corolla, it doesn't look like Toyota is using any special oil/additives for break-in period. Further, he demonstrated how important it is to do your first oil change much earlier than the OEMs say. For his daughter's Corolla, the OEM interval is 10,000 miles. He did oil changes at 700 miles, 3000 miles, and 10,000 miles. 0W-8 Motor Oil: Too THIN to Trust? Let's Find Out! (youtube.com)
Interesting to see in the 1st oil change Corolla video he chose a Purolator oil filter instead of Toyota :unsure:

M40A1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD
Oem filter tests
this video freaks me out little...might reconsider my plan to use Toyota's oil filter.
I get that flow is very important but Toyota's lack of filtering is considerably less than aftermarket oil filters.

Watching other videos in this filter testing series has me considering the Purolater Boss oil filter.
It has similar flow rates to Toyota's filter, both when the oil is hot and cold, plus it filters out exponentially more particulates than the Toyota brand filter.
Purolator Boss oil filter testing
Yup, I watched a couple of his videos and I'm certainly going to switch to the Purolator Boss filter. The amount/size of contaminants using the Toyota OEM was really surprising! I also watched some videos from TheMotorOilGeek on YouTube, and those were interesting as well.

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm certainly going to switch to the Purolator Boss filter.
Why can't things just be easy from time to time lol
From what I can find, the Purolator Boss isn't made yet the 4th gen.
Our Tacoma's use the :
90915-YZZN1 (North American part number, made in Thailand)
90915-10009 (factory filter, made in Japan)
Purolator does have a match to these but it's their Purolator One filters and sadly not the Boss version.

Hmm what to do...

M40A1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD
Why can't things just be easy from time to time lol
From what I can find, the Purolator Boss isn't made yet the 4th gen.
Our Tacoma's use the :
90915-YZZN1 (North American part number, made in Thailand)
90915-10009 (factory filter, made in Japan)
Purolator does have a match to these but it's their Purolator One filters and sadly not the Boss version.

Hmm what to do...
My wife's 2018 4-cyl Camry uses the same filter as my 2024 Tacoma Sport: 90915-YZZN1. From the Purolator website, their Boss filter replacement for my wife's Camry is the PBL14476. As you noted, for the 2024 Tacoma they do not list a Boss filter equivalent. In fact, they show the PurolatorOne filter as part number PL11411. I may have to email them and see why they have a different filter between the two vehicles that use the same Toyota version.

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My wife's 2018 4-cyl Camry uses the same filter as my 2024 Tacoma Sport: 90915-YZZN1. From the Purolator website, their Boss filter replacement for my wife's Camry is the PBL14476. As you noted, for the 2024 Tacoma they do not list a Boss filter equivalent. In fact, they show the PurolatorOne filter as part number PL11411. I may have to email them and see why they have a different filter between the two vehicles that use the same Toyota version.
That's promising!
The only differences I can see aside from the Boss 14476 being 1/2" longer than One 11411, is that the bypass pressure of 14 on the One11411 versus 14-18 on the Boss 14476.

I do like the idea of a slightly larger filter for more media inside.
Could the 14psi vs 14-18psi really be that big of a difference?

Please let us know if you get an answer from Purolator in regards to 2018 Camry vs Tacoma. Color me intrigued!

Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Same here, Toyota OEM Filters (90915-YZZN1) I ordered directly from a dealer. Pretty cheap too, around 4-5 bucks, using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-20. I changed mine @ 1K Miles, will change @ 2, then 5, and every 5K from there on out.

Fly-by-Night

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport Upgrade Package, Underground
I’m new to this forum and new to trucks. I just purchased my ‘24 Tacoma and am looking for information on what oil filter and oil to use. I did search with no results.

I know Toyota recommends changing the oil every 10,000 miles, I intend on changing it every 5,000 or every 6 months whichever comes first. I also want to do a break in oil change at 500 miles.

I know some will say this is excessive but it’s as much about my brain as it is about taking good care of the engine.

Thank you for your help!
Mike
‘24 Trd Off Road
What every manufacturer recommends, cut that number in half. Fluids are cheap, engines, trans, transfer case and diff are expense. I been using Amsoil for years and plan on using it on my new Taco.

M40A1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD
That's promising!
The only differences I can see aside from the Boss 14476 being 1/2" longer than One 11411, is that the bypass pressure of 14 on the One11411 versus 14-18 on the Boss 14476.

Please let us know if you get an answer from Purolator in regards to 2018 Camry vs Tacoma. Color me intrigued!
I did get a response from Purolator. For context, here’s what I wrote followed by their response:

Folks, I have a 2024 Tacoma (4-cyl iForce Turbo) that uses a Toyota 90915-YZZN1 oil filter. This filter is the same on my wife’s 2018 Camry, which is also a 4-cylinder engine. Perusing your website I see that you do not have a Boss filter for my Tacoma, but you do have one for my wife’s Camry. Why do you have a different filter between the two vehicles that use the same Toyota version oil filter (for example, the PurolatorBoss PBL14476 for my wife’s Camry versus the PurolatorOne PL11411 for the 2024 Tacoma)? Thanks!

Purolator response: There is no Purolator Boss version of the PL11411 as you are already aware.

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
That's promising!

The pressure is probably higher on the 14476 cause it has more volume. I had a Nissan Versa with a tiny oil filter. Posters on their forum recommended another filter that was about one and half times longer. Used that version for 14 years without issue until I traded for the Tacoma.

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra CrewMax
That's promising!

Back in the day, I used FL-1 or equivalent filters for my '91 5.0 Mustang; the reasoning was the same: more media.
Sponsored