Sponsored

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road & 2014 Land Cruiser
I offroad a lot in my Land Cruiser which I am keeping. Next week I expect to pickup my Tacoma Off Road and will begin setting it up to also off road.

In my 200 series Land Cruiser I Have a Yaesu FTM- 400 and a Midland MXT-275 GMRS radio. Only the HAM is pictured. That is an aftermarket Android head unit which did a lot to update my technology.
2024 Tacoma HAM and GMRS Radio Installs in 4th gen Tacoma -- Post Your Setups 20220116_104555

Both hard installed. The HAM antenna is on the back tailgate and the GRMS antenna is on the front bumper. I also have handhelds, but they only work at a much shorter range

I found this antenna adapter that would work for either a HAM or GMRS antenna
https://www.victory4x4.com/product/VT3CB-BARE.html
Not sure it works on a 2024. I see @Victory 4x4 is on here and hopefully they will respond

Looking to see if others have installed either radio. Interested in Head Unit, Face plate and antenna installs.

I may install the HAM and stick with a hand held for GMRS. I likely would get a smaller HAM like a 200 or 300 for the Tacoma. It has to be dual band with APRS

Let see what you have or discuss options you have found
Sponsored

Victory 4x4

BASIC Sponsor
First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 TRD Sport
We haven't installed a radio in the 4g Taco, but we do make a mount that works with both ditch lights and antennas (1/2" hole.) I actually switched to this mount setup in my 3G Taco as well.

https://www.victory4x4.com/product/VTDLM-4G.html

2024 Tacoma HAM and GMRS Radio Installs in 4th gen Tacoma -- Post Your Setups 1721249877127-r3
2024 Tacoma HAM and GMRS Radio Installs in 4th gen Tacoma -- Post Your Setups 1721249856116-mx

OP
OP
Romer

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road & 2014 Land Cruiser

SAR Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Trailhunter
Am very keen to see installs on this thread. I currently use a ham and part 90 radio that I'll be installing in my new taco. Interested in radio body locations (getting the TH so can't have it under the rear seats), remote head locations, antenna mounts, and coax paths.

Sponsored

geonerdist

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road/2007 Nissan Xterra
I have a Yaesu FT-8800 mounted with clicky Velcro above the rear view mirror and the microphone is mounted to a Molle panel from Rago. I also have two Motorola XTL5000s mounted to the passenger side molle panel with 67 designs mounts. All the radio bodies are under the back seat.

My antennas are mounted to a Prinsu roof rack.

2024 Tacoma HAM and GMRS Radio Installs in 4th gen Tacoma -- Post Your Setups IMG_1639

Victory 4x4

BASIC Sponsor
First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 TRD Sport
Thanks. Any thoughts on if a HAM antenna like 3-4 feet long would hit the pillar when the hood is opened?
It should not be an issue at all, but I will verify for you tomorrow. They are currently shooting a front bumper install video on our 4G.

On my 3G I have my faceplate on my dash mount with magnets. Works awesome. Our dash mount for the 4G is behind the screen though, so I will have to figure something out for that.

2024 Tacoma HAM and GMRS Radio Installs in 4th gen Tacoma -- Post Your Setups 20240718_150429
2024 Tacoma HAM and GMRS Radio Installs in 4th gen Tacoma -- Post Your Setups 20240718_150451

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24’ Tacoma TRD Off Road
I have a Yaesu FT-8800 mounted with clicky Velcro above the rear view mirror and the microphone is mounted to a Molle panel from Rago. I also have two Motorola XTL5000s mounted to the passenger side molle panel with 67 designs mounts. All the radio bodies are under the back seat.

IMG_1639.jpeg
nice setup! This looks nice and accessible while driving. I need to get me at least one of these comms. I use a handled sometimes but that thing is a hit and miss or forget to charge it.

bigd9247

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR

IMG_1639.jpeg
Nice setup! Forgive my ignorance, but why would you need three radios? I imagine you must be using them for different things. I haven't dabbled with HAM or GMRS but I've always been curious and it looks like it could be a fun hobby.

Sponsored

SAR Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Trailhunter
In the US the FCC regulates what type of radio can access what frequencies. Ham, GMRS, CB, and commercial (part 90) radios all transmit/receive on different frequencies and at different power levels. Some required licenses while others do not.

The benefit of having more than one of the same type of radio allows you to monitor multiple frequencies concurrently, and simply pick up the mic for whichever radio you need to transmit.

geonerdist

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice setup! Forgive my ignorance, but why would you need three radios? I imagine you must be using them for different things. I haven't dabbled with HAM or GMRS but I've always been curious and it looks like it could be a fun hobby.
The ham radio is used for ham stuff and traveling. The other two are used for search and rescue.

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser

IMG_1639.jpeg
Would you be able to post a more detailed photo of this? I have the FTM500 I was planning on mounting where the sunglasses holder is by using RAM mounts. Yours looks pretty interesting.
Thank you

geonerdist

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would you be able to post a more detailed photo of this? I have the FTM500 I was planning on mounting where the sunglasses holder is by using RAM mounts. Yours looks pretty interesting.
Thank you
I tried using ram mounts to the rear view mirror arm and could not get it the way I wanted it. Always blocked the sunglasses compartment. I decided to just use some clicks Velcro on the control head and the trim piece around the mirror. Wire running was super easy. It works ok since those trim pieces are not very rigid.
2024 Tacoma HAM and GMRS Radio Installs in 4th gen Tacoma -- Post Your Setups IMG_1672

2024 Tacoma HAM and GMRS Radio Installs in 4th gen Tacoma -- Post Your Setups IMG_1676

brentbba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Trailhunter
My Yaesu FT-8800 mounted in my Tacoma Trailhunter. I scavenged my mounts from my old Prius. The same Yaesu in my old Landcruiser was built into the dash and just left it for the new owner. It uses a Ram suction cup mount for the head unit. The body of the radio barely fit under the driver seat. The antenna uses an old Diamond 400 hatch mount that attaches to the lip of the hood. I tried a Caliraised ditch light mount, but it was so stealth that the PL-259 antenna off the Diamond mount was just too deep and hit the hood lip. Speaker just sits in the center console. Not great, but I still have access to the phone charger and usb/12v port to the right. I haven't figured out a good mount for the mic and don't particularly want to be drilling holes for the mic clip. Looking for ideas there.
2024 Tacoma HAM and GMRS Radio Installs in 4th gen Tacoma -- Post Your Setups Tacoma Ft-8800 1
2024 Tacoma HAM and GMRS Radio Installs in 4th gen Tacoma -- Post Your Setups Tacoma Ft-8800 2
2024 Tacoma HAM and GMRS Radio Installs in 4th gen Tacoma -- Post Your Setups Tacoma Ft-8800 3
2024 Tacoma HAM and GMRS Radio Installs in 4th gen Tacoma -- Post Your Setups Tacoma Ft-8800 4
Sponsored