Sponsored

wolfpackwest

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Trailhunter
If you're like me, and wanted the vehicle-specific Rigid light kit for the ARB Bumper, but also wanted the feature of being able to manually fire the lights as well - then this thread is for you. You can also follow this along for the 'normal' install as well; you'd just forego the 'splitter' harness and wire the lights directly into the Taillight/Short harness.

A quick background, if you haven't been following the other thread where John from SPV has been chiming-in: the vehicle-specific kit from Rigid is just simply the SR-L series flush mount lights along with a harness for our trucks, but has been reported to have some issues with the harness they provide. Additionally, their harness was reported to only be firing the lights with the reverse light trigger, and wasn't wired to illuminate the backlight feature on the SR-L's.

My preference was to have the following capabilities:
1) The automatic trigger for reverse lights (spreader)
2) The automatic trigger for the backlights to come on with parking/taillights (red halo; this is how the Rigid harness SHOULD be, but didn't function)
3) The ability to manually fire the spreader lights using the pre-wired AUX buttons and pigtails supplied with the truck

After talking to John and Sidney at SPV, who are fantastic and wildly responsive by the way, they got me all setup with their harnesses to accomplish what I was looking for. John even FaceTimed with me, late on a Friday afternoon to walk me through and show me what I would need and how it would wire-up. They got my parts out to me via UPS 2-Day shipping, and everything installed seamlessly after I received my parts.

Here's a breakdown of my parts order:
1) Rigid SR-L Series Spreader Lights - Red Halo/Flush Mount - Part # 53222
2) SPV Parts Short Length Rear Harness w/Taillight adapter
3) SPV Parts 2-Way Splitter Harness
4) SPV Parts Single Pole Connector

Additionally, you'll need your OEM AUX pigtails; specifically the 4-pin to 2-pin jumper, as well as the 2-pin jumper. NOTE: So stupid, but on the OEM pigtails, the white/black (thick) wire is the ground. The black wire is 15A power. The green wire is 10A power. The blue wire is 5A power. The 2-pin jumper for the rear, ONLY has 15A power wiring; way overkill for these 2 lights, but whatever. So pay close attention to the wire colors when splicing-in. You'll see in the photo below, that I have the white/black wire bent back to remind me NOT to use it.

Here's a photo of all the pieces laid-out:
2024 Tacoma HOW TO: Rigid SR-L Series Lights for ARB Rear Bumper Installation IMG_0139 2

All-in-all, these parts ordered from SPV ended up being cheaper than the Rigid vehicle-specific kit. Just call up John at SPV to place your order if this is what you're looking for.

Onto the install -

1) Locate and remove the T20 Torx screws holding the blanking plates into the ARB bumper. This was a bit of a pain to get a torx bit in there, but was able to knock it out using a 3/8" driver and ratchet, going over the frame. On the passenger side of the truck, there's some kind of mount there blocking your path; just slightly bend it up until you have enough clearance to fit the extension through. Hold onto the screws - you'll reuse them.
2024 Tacoma HOW TO: Rigid SR-L Series Lights for ARB Rear Bumper Installation IMG_0141 2.JPG

2) Install the SR-L's from behind, reusing the T20 Torx screws removed in previous step.
2024 Tacoma HOW TO: Rigid SR-L Series Lights for ARB Rear Bumper Installation IMG_0145 2.JPG

3) Let the light harnesses dangle for the time being. We'll come back and route/ziptie everything later.
2024 Tacoma HOW TO: Rigid SR-L Series Lights for ARB Rear Bumper Installation IMG_0146 2.JPG

4) Remove the two 10mm bolts from inside the tailgate, securing the driver's side taillight to the fender. GENTLY pull the taillight away from the fender; there are two plastic pops holding it in. It will eventually pop out, semi-violently.
2024 Tacoma HOW TO: Rigid SR-L Series Lights for ARB Rear Bumper Installation IMG_0147 2

5) Disconnect the OEM harness going into the taillight.
2024 Tacoma HOW TO: Rigid SR-L Series Lights for ARB Rear Bumper Installation IMG_0148 2.JPG

6) Plug in the taillight adapter harness between the OEM harness and the taillight. Route the wiring down through the crevice
2024 Tacoma HOW TO: Rigid SR-L Series Lights for ARB Rear Bumper Installation IMG_0149 2.JPG

7) Head up to the engine bay, and remove the dummy plug connectors from the AUX connectors. Plug in your 4-pin to 2-Pin OEM pigtail between the two AUX connectors. This is how you get power to the rear AUX port under the truck. **Side Note:** You may notice I have some additional wiring going into my jumper harness here; this is because I have ditch lights for the front wired into here as well.
2024 Tacoma HOW TO: Rigid SR-L Series Lights for ARB Rear Bumper Installation IMG_0154 2.JPG
2024 Tacoma HOW TO: Rigid SR-L Series Lights for ARB Rear Bumper Installation IMG_0155 2.JPG

8) Head back to the rear of the truck, and remove the dummy plug connector from the rear AUX port. It can be found here:
2024 Tacoma HOW TO: Rigid SR-L Series Lights for ARB Rear Bumper Installation IMG_0142

9) Crimp & heatshrink the BLACK wire from the OEM 2-pin pigtail onto the SPV single pole connector. I don't have a photo of this, but you get the idea from Step 10.

10) Plug the 2-pin pigtail into the AUX port, and begin routing all of your wiring.
2024 Tacoma HOW TO: Rigid SR-L Series Lights for ARB Rear Bumper Installation IMG_0157 2.JPG

11) Route the taillight adapter harness down to the Short Harness. This is pretty obvious, but white goes to white (the white wire is power for the halo backlight). The red wire from the taillight harness will plug into the SPV 2-way splitter, then one end of the splitter will go to the Short Harness; the other end of the splitter will plug into the single pole connector that you spliced into the OEM pigtail (the red wire is power for the reverse/spreader light). Additionally, plug the short harness connectors into the connectors running to the Rigid lights.
2024 Tacoma HOW TO: Rigid SR-L Series Lights for ARB Rear Bumper Installation IMG_0159 2.JPG

12) Run the ground wire to here. I tried several ground locations, that for whatever reason didn't work out. This one works perfect and is up and out of the way.
2024 Tacoma HOW TO: Rigid SR-L Series Lights for ARB Rear Bumper Installation IMG_0165 2
2024 Tacoma HOW TO: Rigid SR-L Series Lights for ARB Rear Bumper Installation IMG_0164 2

13) Tidy up all the wiring and ziptie as needed.
2024 Tacoma HOW TO: Rigid SR-L Series Lights for ARB Rear Bumper Installation IMG_0162 2.JPG
2024 Tacoma HOW TO: Rigid SR-L Series Lights for ARB Rear Bumper Installation IMG_0161 2.JPG

Passenger side:
2024 Tacoma HOW TO: Rigid SR-L Series Lights for ARB Rear Bumper Installation IMG_0163 2.JPG

14) All done! Your red halos should come on with the parking/tail lights. The white spreader light will come on when shifting into Reverse. And you should also be able to use the AUX 1 button to manually fire the white/spreader lights as well.

An idea of both lights on together:
2024 Tacoma HOW TO: Rigid SR-L Series Lights for ARB Rear Bumper Installation IMG_0171 2.JPG

Just the red halos, on with the parking lights:
2024 Tacoma HOW TO: Rigid SR-L Series Lights for ARB Rear Bumper Installation IMG_0172 2.JPG

Both lights on, manually fired by the AUX 1 button:
2024 Tacoma HOW TO: Rigid SR-L Series Lights for ARB Rear Bumper Installation IMG_0173 2.JPG

Both lights on, along with the bed scene lighting:
2024 Tacoma HOW TO: Rigid SR-L Series Lights for ARB Rear Bumper Installation IMG_0174 2.JPG

Hope this helps some of you out. Feel free to ask me any questions if I can help answer anything.

A couple more just because I was already taking photos (Ditch lights are manually fired off of AUX 2 now): :sunglasses:
2024 Tacoma HOW TO: Rigid SR-L Series Lights for ARB Rear Bumper Installation IMG_0176 2.JPG

2024 Tacoma HOW TO: Rigid SR-L Series Lights for ARB Rear Bumper Installation IMG_0175 2.JPG
Sponsored

BuriedFriend

First Name
Stevie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma TRD Pro
Hella nice! I’m definitely doing this.
now I need to find a thread that shows how to tie my roof rack scenery lights to my bed lights.

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
Awesome thanks for this. Picking up the Rigids on a Black Friday sale…

Do these light throw a good distance? Wondering how well they’ll light the campsite ground with the tailgate down…
Sponsored