I don’t understand the hype

TacoScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 SR5
First time Tacoma owner - I have the 4th gen sr5 double cab with 6 foot bed and I’m trying to love it but I hate it. So many things don’t make sense to me…

14 cup holders?

No (usable) interior storage - cubbies around gear shifter - shelf in front of passenger seat - door storage - all require tiny hands to slide in and grab anything with just fingertips - then the “secret” storage which is a aptly named because it’s a mystery to me as to what it’s for

Serious lag in acceleration - feels like it’s stuck in quicksand

full gas tank = only 289 miles

18 mpg not ideal

No unlock button on tailgate

Center console is very shallow for some reason as seems to be plenty of room to go deeper

Door lock lag - I can hit the button (indent) on door handle and sometimes locks right away, other times I’m several steps away and grabbing for the key fob before the button registers - sometimes it doesn’t lock at all

CarPlay/infotainment glitches - changes music source or turns off

Wireless charging barely keeps phone at starting battery level due to CarPlay and gps use

Manual seats on a 45k vehicle?

I know some of it is cosmetic but for the price I’m seriously disappointed in this truck. The answer I get for these things is along the lines of “new engine” or “new design” but regardless I don’t get why people love these trucks so much. Maybe it will grow on me but at just over 2,000 miles I’m ready to take the hit and get something else.
Anyone have anything to help talk me off the ledge?
Sponsored

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
dude those costco & starbucks hauls you need those cupholders lol.

I personally love the interior of my Trailhunter, but I upgraded from a 23 year old full size. I sold a kidney for this truck, but yea whatever, they're expensive. Work hard play hard, don't waste too much time picking apart a Sport Rally 5 trim. Upgrade to a premium package and get back out there 🤙🏽

Vidman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tundra,1967 chevelle, 1972 c-10 pro street
Didn’t you test drive one before your purchase.. you usually do research when paying good money for a new vehicle.. I have test driven many new vehicles that I didn’t like and did not purchase

Photo_Nerd

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad
Sounds like a lot of the stuff you dislike about the truck are things you could’ve noticed during the test drive. No one here is going to convince you to like it if you’re already unhappy with it. Just get something else and be happy.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TacoScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 SR5
life is to short to own/drive a vehicle you'll not happy with...ditch it and move on
agreed…the hit on price will suck so trying to give it time to get used to but don’t see that happening

OP
OP

TacoScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 SR5
Sounds like a lot of the stuff you dislike about the truck are things you could’ve noticed during the test drive. No one here is going to convince you to like it if you’re already unhappy with it. Just get something else and be happy.
Just looking to see if anyone else has any of the same gripes but doesn’t seem to be so I guess it’s just me…

OP
OP

TacoScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 SR5
Didn’t you test drive one before your purchase.. you usually do research when paying good money for a new vehicle.. I have test driven many new vehicles that I didn’t like and did not purchase

I did but coming from an suv I was expecting it to be different and should be able to get used to it.
Hard to know where you’re going to store change and other random things like that. Aside from the cosmetics though, not sure I can get used to the engine lag

OP
OP

TacoScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 SR5
dude those costco & starbucks hauls you need those cupholders lol.

I personally love the interior of my Trailhunter, but I upgraded from a 23 year old full size. I sold a kidney for this truck, but yea whatever, they're expensive. Work hard play hard, don't waste too much time picking apart a Sport Rally 5 trim. Upgrade to a premium package and get back out there 🤙🏽
Ha! Just recounted and it’s actually a more reasonable 16 upholders…just in case I guess?

hart24601

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 limited taco
Just looking to see if anyone else has any of the same gripes but doesn’t seem to be so I guess it’s just me…
Probably. Most people that don’t like it didn’t buy it. Just sell it and move on. It’s only a truck, life goes on.

Sponsored

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
Storage isn't the best, but then again it's a mid sized truck. I came from a 2.7 F150 and I find the Tacoma engine to be pretty peppy. Make sure you're not in ECO mode. Mine came like that from the factory and I was disappointed until I moved it to normal. Even less so in Sport. My wife's Subaru Ascent is faster, rides better, etc.. But it can't take the back trails that I did last week and it's not a truck. It's just a different beast. It may not be for you. The only complaint that I would agree with is the 18Gallon fuel tank. Mine says 280 as well, but every time I get close to empty I only pump in 13 Gallons. I know it can go farther. I do have a TRD Offroad Premium so maybe some of the gripes are mitigated with the higher trim.
Sponsored