I wanna see a drag race of Turbo vs Hybrid Tacomas

evlfred

First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Tundra Plat
An apples to apples drag would be best, like a couple of limited or sport trucks...
Sponsored

Taconatron

First Name
nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma
Yep. I’m waiting for real world comparisons. Also can’t wait for tunes to come out and compare tuned 4g against 4g hybrids.

crepr12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
lmmfao...Tacoma drivers of all gens always want to race or think they are fast...what is this about...smh

JakeJoeBob

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
lmmfao...Tacoma drivers of all gens always want to race or think they are fast...what is this about...smh
We just want to know which one is actually faster, i.e drives better overall. So far what we have heard has been mixed. Not really about actual racing, you missed the point...

Sponsored

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
We just want to know which one is actually faster, i.e drives better overall. So far what we have heard has been mixed. Not really about actual racing, you missed the point...
They didn’t miss the point at all.

the majority of the hybrid benefits are not for a 0-60 so they, like me, are confused what a drag race would do?

the battery and motor isn’t used throughout 0-60. Anyone who thinks it is seems to have missed the point of the hybrid powertrain entirely

JakeJoeBob

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
They didn’t miss the point at all.

the majority of the hybrid benefits are not for a 0-60 so they, like me, are confused what a drag race would do?

the battery and motor isn’t used throughout 0-60. Anyone who thinks it is seems to have missed the point of the hybrid powertrain entirely
Well this one is, it's not a traditinal hybrid. The electric motor is used for torque fill everytime you step on the gas pedal and Toyota has even marketed it as such. It literally says on Toyota's website "when you hit the gas, the thrills are instantaneous". The MPG improvment is only 2 (EPA combined number). So if the 0-60 isn't any better and the tow rating is worse and the payload is only marginaly better, and you only gain 2 mpg, I would say thats not worth if it doesn't drive any nicer. It's about a 4000 dollar option. To me, if it's faster and more reponsive, thats the Taco Hybrids only real benefit and I would proably pay for it. The slightly better MPG is just the cherry on top. Toyota Truck Hybrids are for more power while still hitting emessions goals, not efficiency.

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
I read a test somewhere that the person was not impressed at all with the 'off the line' response of the hybrid over the standard 278hp turbo. He couldn't at all justify the premium price for it, just for that area alone. The extra weight is what handicaps it.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
Well this one is, it's not a traditinal hybrid. The electric motor is used for torque fill everytime you step on the gas pedal and Toyota has even marketed it as such. It literally says on Toyota's website "when you hit the gas, the thrills are instantaneous". The MPG improvment is only 2 (EPA combined number). So if the 0-60 isn't any better and the tow rating is worse and the payload is only marginaly better, and you only gain 2 mpg, I would say thats not worth if it doesn't drive any nicer. It's about a 4000 dollar option. To me, if it's faster and more reponsive, thats the Taco Hybrids only real benefit and I would proably pay for it. The slightly better MPG is just the cherry on top. Toyota Truck Hybrids are for more power while still hitting emessions goals, not efficiency.
I’m aware.

Im just saying torque isn’t limited to usefulness in 0-60s and the added torque from the motor isn’t being delivered as constantly on paper like non hybrids.

it eliminates turbo lag, allows easier towing (not more), is more powerful offroad due to the higher torque available quicker, and then there’s the marginal mpg increase. It simply drives better, not faster.

the hybrids 0-60 time is marginally better and not the purpose. I’d suggest you go test drive one. It’s a fun powertrain