Sponsored

Load index on KO3 tires

Muckle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Looking at ordering KO3s in 285/70/17 for my 2024 TRD OR. Looking at Discount Tire, I have the following options:
  • 116S load index/speed rating / C1 load range w/ black side wall
  • 126S load index/speed rating / E1 load range w/ raised white lettering
A few questions:
  1. I assume the higher load range tire will be stiffer/noisier - fair assumption?
  2. Is the higher load range tire necessary or overkill?
  3. If I do go with the higher load range, is it typical to have the raised white lettering facing inwards? Would prefer this over it facing out.
Sponsored

Discount Tire

ELITE Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All Things Toyota
Looking at ordering KO3s in 285/70/17 for my 2024 TRD OR. Looking at Discount Tire, I have the following options:
  • 116S load index/speed rating / C1 load range w/ black side wall
  • 126S load index/speed rating / E1 load range w/ raised white lettering
A few questions:
  1. I assume the higher load range tire will be stiffer/noisier - fair assumption?
  2. Is the higher load range tire necessary or overkill?
  3. If I do go with the higher load range, is it typical to have the raised white lettering facing inwards? Would prefer this over it facing out.
The Load Range E/126S is certainly overkill for a Tacoma, however many forum members use the higher load for the more durable sidewall for off road use. The tread pattern is exactly the same on both so there should be no difference in road noise. The higher ply rating would be a firmer ride. Raised white letters are an aesthetics and entirely up to you to face them out or not. The LRE only comes black wall though. Don't hesitate to shoot us a DM if you would like our assistance. (y)

OldOre

First Name
AC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD OffRoad
I'm looking for Cs in the stock size, but Discount Tire indicates that the KO3 won't be available in a C in the 265/70/17 until August 2025.

In terms of overkill, the Es are a full 20lbs heavier per tire when compared to stock BFG Trail Terrain T/As.

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
I'm looking for Cs in the stock size, but Discount Tire indicates that the KO3 won't be available in a C in the 265/70/17 until August 2025.

In terms of overkill, the Es are a full 20lbs heavier per tire when compared to stock BFG Trail Terrain T/As.
On top of the weight, it's a much rougher ride in general on E-rated tires. Unless you need them for load requirements (which will never be a problem, unless you are overloading your Taco), I would stay away.

As far as wheeling performance, yeah, they're definitely more durable - however the stiffer tire sometimes won't conform as well to the terrain. You're trading some of that flexibility for additional reliability.

I'd really consider the SL-rated AT4Ws. Super happy with them thus far, that's what I went with.

Trocious

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR Premium
After trying out LT and SL tires on my 2nd gen Taco I ended up ordering SL rated Open Country AT3s for my 4g. I like the softer ride. The heavy and stiff LT tires change a lot of how the suspension feels.
Sponsored