Sponsored

Looking to swap Trailhunter steel skids for UHMW plastic

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
Looking for a plastic skid for the Trailhunter front engine - for winter driving. I don’t 4x4 trail in the winter where I live it’s all pavement & mountain driving. Snow chunks & gravel deflection is the game half the year. I considered swapping all skids to 5052 1/4” aluminum but I can’t square the price when I already have it kitted in steel. My TH is 6’ bed, so naturally I’m handicapping the extreme off-roading anyway due breakover angle. The goal is to shed some weight on this rig 6-8 months out of the year. How good is that powder coat on the TH steel skids…. Rock rails probably get pulled during the winter too, maybe add a step for the lady.

A smooth plastic, not the felt-like deflector stuff on the OR. Anyone know of any shops that would have this for the TH? It’s a weird ask, but shedding ~350lbs half the year is tempting. Would rather just leave the steel engine skid on than drive it naked but the rest of the trail kit can sit in the garage until spring
Sponsored

PotatoTRD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 trd pro
I don’t know of anyone making UHMW skid plates at the moment, I have been trying to convince RCI to make some! But if I’m not mistaken the skids and sliders for the trailhunter are super lightweight and you might not be really achieving that much by removing them, if I remember right that front skid is only 26lbs and the trans is similar. You would maybe be saving ~120lbs at the most if you removed everything