Sponsored

New automatic transmission tsb to now include hybrid.

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
First off, I'm not defending anyone, but people put too much credence in what this guy says. This video is strictly his opinion; he's keeps referring to "the way things were." I'm sure he's an excellent mechanic, but he's not an engineer or a marketer, and he clearly doesn't understand how the dealer franchise system works. Yes, it would be great to go back to simpler times, but that's not going to happen if you want to stay in business. Toyota and everyone else have to respond to market forces, government regulations, and consumer demands.

Do vehicles cost too much? Absolutely. Do people neglect their vehicles? Of course. Why is this? For one, labor rates are insane. Dealers are charging upwards of $200 per hour with no guarantees that the problem will be fixed. The independent chain I used to work for is up to $160. I ran the numbers: $1,100 for a four-wheel brake job, with their cost around $300, depending on the application. The same goes for tires. While the markup isn't as bad, the cost is still high, especially without paying for the lifetime warranty package, which adds even more to the price and is pure profit. Just another form of insurance.

It's a vicious circle. If you want to retain good people, you need to pay them well; otherwise, they'll find someone who will. To pay them, you have to charge for parts and labor at a rate that covers all the costs associated with running your business while still making a profit.

Why are we at this point? Well, I could go one but that's a discussion beyond the scope of this forum.

I agree with all that and I also agree with @TacoFreak — the part of the video I thought people needed to think about is that Toyota does take care of its customers. Not perfectly and not always quickly but they do (look at their recent efforts to fix the white paint issue). Also their quality is not really going down. Their vehicles are just getting more complex. I also do not 100% agree with this guy or I would not have bought a TH. But he makes really great points. And I love his comment about how us truck guys are insane. Because we are maybe just a little crazy. We need to chill out and let Toyota do its thing. We’re all going to be fine and these trucks WILL LAST if we take care of them. I firmly believe that.