Sponsored

Ordered my 1st ever Toyota - 2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium, and starting to worry 😬

KRiMZoN

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium
First, thanks for reading this and I appreciate your advice and opinions in advance.

I ordered a 2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium in Black about 5 weeks ago ( I’m in Canada 🇨🇦 ) and I received a text from the dealership last week saying it will be in early next week!

Over the last 3-4 weeks I have spent so many hours researching and watching YouTube on the 4th Gen Tacoma’s because I’m excited that it’s bordering insanity. Seriously, my wife thinks I’ve lost my mind lolHaving never owned a Toyota in my life, 2 years ago I bought a Mini Cooper Countryman that has given me nothing but issues since the day I bought it. Being a carpenter, I need a truck ( I know I know, why buy the Mini Cooper !?!? It was an impulse buy. Trust me I’ve learned my lesson ).

I asked so many people about trucks and everyone kept saying “ get a Tacoma “ … so after ( as I said above ) researching my brains out, I ordered one.

Now over the last few weeks I have seen more hate for Toyota Tacoma’s and “ never buy this truck “ videos than I could have imagined. A stark contrast to everyone saying “ The Tacoma is one of the best trucks ever built “ opinions I was being given. I understand click bait videos, but there seem to be so many! It’s making me really nervous after the last 2 years of dealing with such a piece of crap vehicle.

I guess I’m just looking for feedback from people who own a 2024, or may have more insight into this on practically the eve of spending 60k on a truck I was really excited for.

So once again, thank you everyone who spends the time to write, I will take everything being said from long time Toyota customers serious and appreciate the help.

PS : seriously, never ever buy a Mini Cooper Countryman … like, ever.
Sponsored

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
Lots of jealousy by people that vent by negativity towards this 4 generation Tacoma. Lots of you tube people with sad lives making negative 4 generation Tacoma video like who takes there kids to a Toyota dealership to film a negative video about a Tacoma those poor kids. Trust what you read here by actual owners and ignore all that nonsense. For piece of mind get extended warranty do your maintenance as per periodic maintenance chart and enjoy your truck. I love my 4G Tacoma. No regrets and no worries from this proud owner.

Taco Azul

First Name
MP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Trailhunter LB, Tesla Model X, Polestar 2, Toyota GR86
90% of YouTubers are only going for views. You will never get their honest opinion, instead you’ll get whatever gets the most eyeballs. TRD Jon has had a Tacoma for a few months and gives pretty honest feedback regularly on his channel.

Also, the “Your honest reviews” thread on this forum is worth a read through. By and large real owners love the truck, but have a few things that could be better.

As for me, I co-own a GR86 currently and in the past 7 years I have bought a Prius Prime and a Highlander. My Toyota experiences have been good enough that I’m buying a new Taco without hesitation. Unfortunately mine is on QC hold at the moment, so I can’t give you my personal feedback.

Fireguy67

First Name
Klaus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyta Tacoma Sport Premium 6’ bed
I agree with AV8R. If it makes you lose sleep cancel it. But having said that I personally love my TRD Sport Premium. No problems so far after almost three months of ownership. If you want honest opinions and advice on ownership by people who actually own and use the vehicle keep logging in here and stay off of You Tube.

Sponsored

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
I've said it on this site and others: Ignore YouTube. All of those clickbait bitches are just after views. Notice that not one of them actually owns the vehicle. Many opinions are based on a one-hour drive at press review days, and the commenters either can't afford it, or their wives said "no." Lastly, the creators who have positive reviews are "shills" because you know their opinions don't line up with mine, so they suck.

Wighty

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TRD Off Road
I had the same concerns and I come from a Gen 3 OR. I’ve had my Pro for about 2 weeks now and I love it!! No complaints. Plenty of power for me. For the piece of mind, I bought the platinum warranty. I’m not sure if those turbos will last 10 years. Just in case, I’ll be covered. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
I got a OR premium back in March (In Canada). No serious issues with it, you won’t be disappointed. I’ve got 5K km on it and just did the first oil change on it. Never mind the haters, you do you. It is a machine at the end of the day, there are alternatives but they’re also machines. Modern vehicles in my mind have become better built that a vehicle from 20 years ago, and so many manufacturers all use same suppliers for transmissions, differentials etc. hard to really bash one manufacturer over another now a days. All will have possibilities of having equal problems.

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
seriously, never ever buy a Mini Cooper Countryman … like, ever.
Owned a Countryman for 3 years and couldn’t wait to get rid of it. Nothing wrong with it mechanically but between having to drive an hour and a half to get it serviced, the high maintenance cost, and the harsh ride, it was just enough time to make me never own a MINI again. That and the fear of driving it out of warranty!

As for the Taco, go look at YouTube for any new model; first, everyone is like “oooooh aaaaaah shiny!”

Then the new content dies down for a bit, and the asshats need their “views” so all the negative bullshit comes out. Then people get their hands on their vehicles and post some videos and everyone is like “ooooh aaaaah shiny” again. Then the owners are too busy enjoying their cars/trucks and the scumbags take over YouTube again.

The thing you should focus on is: they are selling thousands of trucks, and you’ve heard of a few bad apples. It happens with every model, and unless you see REPUTABLE media reporting on major issues (like the Tundra engine problem) then why worry?

By the way, it’s hard to trust the reputable media too because these days, there’s little in the way of unsponsored content.

Keep an eye out on forums like this where the majority of owners share actual experience - good or bad - with other owners.

See you the road soon! I’ll change my MINI wave for a taco one when I see you.

Sponsored

OldTimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 2wd
I have owned my 2024 TRD Sport for close to three months and 1300 miles. I came from a 2003 Tundra that I drove and loved for 21 years. I absolutely love driving this vehicle! Extremely comfortable, quiet ride that feels like driving a SUV. Wind Chill Pearl with Blackout and I have had numerous compliments on the vehicle from neighbors and co-workers. One of my neighbor's told me his wife doesn't even like trucks but thinks mine is gorgeous. She's a beauty.

Now I am not going to tell you it is perfect, but given the choice, I would definitely buy it again. Hopefully I'll have the same opinion 20 years from now because I buy vehicles for the long haul.

As others have stated, the vast majority of YouTube hate is coming from people who don't own the vehicle and just like mainstream television media, produce content designed to get the most clicks/views; and unfortunately, humans would rather watch a train wreck than butterflies dancing.

At the end of the day, only you can make your decision, but if you are looking for advise I would listen to actual owners over anyone else. While we don't have a crystal ball to know what the long-term will look like, no other manufacturer can guarantee you anything different.

Best of luck and hope you enjoy your new truck.

Edit: Perfect timing, look at what a fellow forum member has to say https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/threads/5-months-of-ownership-and-11-000-miles.5437/

Last edited:
OP
OP

KRiMZoN

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Owned a Countryman for 3 years and couldn’t wait to get rid of it. Nothing wrong with it mechanically but between having to drive an hour and a half to get it serviced, the high maintenance cost, and the harsh ride, it was just enough time to make me never own a MINI again. That and the fear of driving it out of warranty!

As for the Taco, go look at YouTube for any new model; first, everyone is like “oooooh aaaaaah shiny!”

Then the new content dies down for a bit, and the asshats need their “views” so all the negative bullshit comes out. Then people get their hands on their vehicles and post some videos and everyone is like “ooooh aaaaah shiny” again. Then the owners are too busy enjoying their cars/trucks and the scumbags take over YouTube again.

The thing you should focus on is: they are selling thousands of trucks, and you’ve heard of a few bad apples. It happens with every model, and unless you see REPUTABLE media reporting on major issues (like the Tundra engine problem) then why worry?

By the way, it’s hard to trust the reputable media too because these days, there’s little in the way of unsponsored content.

Keep an eye out on forums like this where the majority of owners share actual experience - good or bad - with other owners.

See you the road soon! I’ll change my MINI wave for a taco one when I see you.
Thanks so much for this!!

OP
OP

KRiMZoN

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have owned my 2024 TRD Sport for close to three months and 1300 miles. I came from a 2003 Tundra that I drove and loved for 21 years. I absolutely love driving this vehicle! Extremely comfortable, quiet ride that feels like driving a SUV. Wind Chill Pearl with Blackout and I have had numerous compliments on the vehicle from neighbors and co-workers. One of my neighbor's told me his wife doesn't even like trucks but thinks mine is gorgeous. She's a beauty.

Now I am not going to tell you it is perfect, but given the choice, I would definitely buy it again. Hopefully I'll have the same opinion 20 years from now because I buy vehicles for the long haul.

As others have stated, the vast majority of YouTube hate is coming from people who don't own the vehicle and just like mainstream television media, produce content designed to get the most clicks/views; and unfortunately, humans would rather watch a train wreck than butterflies dancing.

At the end of the day, only you can make your decision, but if you are looking for advise I would listen to actual owners over anyone else. While we don't have a crystal ball to know what the long-term will look like, no other manufacturer can guarantee you anything different.

Best of luck and hope you enjoy your new truck.

Edit: Perfect timing, look at what a fellow forum member has to say https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/threads/5-months-of-ownership-and-11-000-miles.5437/
Thank you for the link and so much truth in humans watching a train wreck than butterflies dancing 😃