Sponsored

Pretty sure my 2nd transmission is going to fail

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
Gen 4 Toyota Tacoma.
I test drove 3 of those things; I don't mind it being a 4cylinder, it's just that powertrain that I mind. Even the hybrid doesn't seem right; very unrefined, uneven, inconsistent. The whole truck feels cheap.
For perspective..... I did a lot of testing just for how long it took to get a TRD OR long bed in my region and other possible purchase choices. Our company fleet has Ford, Stellantis, GM and Rivian light truck or van categories so hands on familiarity there. Now with 2000+ miles on the 2024 TRD OR and years with earlier Toyota 4x4 I have to say just NO WAY to it not being a good product and especially saying unrefined.

My 2000+ miles experience ranges from trail building and ski area crew stuff (off road) to hauling building materials 186 mi to my cabin site at freeway speeds with shuttling stuff for my business in between. It's the most pleasant to use pickup I've had. I've owned 5 personally and used countless more for work. My associates earlier gen Tacomas have strange seating by comparison, are loud, and the new powertrain blows by them on climbs.

Then we have this element of refinement. We lost a family member - not his fault - to a jerk behind the wheel and that crappy for safety Ford helped mangle him dead. The 2024 Tacoma is an IIHS Top Safety pick. That's a really important area of refinement if you ever had to deal with a family member killed in an auto accident.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
@bitflogger I am in pretty much the same situation as you. I have owned multiple Toyota trucks and have driven most other brands as work vehicles. I have a lot of off road experience in a whole range of different vehicles. I have lost a good friend to a drunk driver, so safety is important to me too.

I have only driven one 4th gen and am waiting on my truck now. But the 4th gen I drove was smooth, solid and very refined. I have yet to drive a 4th gen hybrid but Toyota has defined hybrid refinement for years and I can't imagine that has changed. My friends Toyota full hybrid is so smooth that you never even know if the engine is running or not.

I don't know where those cheap shots came from, but they don't line up with my experience at all. That of course is just my opinion and other people are free to drive whatever they want. For me it will always be the ultimate all arounder, a Toyota Tacoma.

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
I've driven around 6200 miles and couldn't be happier. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned, and I'm 55 so there's been quite a few. I find it very refined. My only complaint so far has been the gas tank size :). That being said, it doesn't diminish the poor experience the OP is having with his Pro. New models are always a problem with parts, but if there is a bad bunch out there, they need to start pulling transmissions from the line and sending them to dealers.

OP
OP

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
To update y’all. Transmission was leaking and losing pressure bc of a seal they think. Of course the parts not in because it’s new. They said the seal is a manufactured problem because the new transmission came as a unit and they just put they unit on so the failing of the internal components must be manufactured issue. But yes there is a problem. The transmission is losing pressure allowing it not to shift and is leaking fluid. Keep yall updated. Hopefully it’s not more than that.

Sponsored

CrispyTacoLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma Off-road
I thought he was great, you weren’t a fan ?
I think he made a mistake waiting so long to address the auto transmission shifting algorithms, cruise control issues, adding the height adjustable power seats, offering LED lights, fixing diff weeps and driveline vibrations, etc. The 3rd gen Tacoma was as good as it was going to get by 2020 or 2021. My 2017 wasn’t fun. I blame Swears.

His Tacoma team did make Toyota a shit ton of money, so I credit him for that. I made a tidy sum on TM stock, too. Toyota rewarded him with a huge promotion.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
I think he made a mistake waiting so long to address the auto transmission shifting algorithms, cruise control issues, adding the height adjustable power seats, offering LED lights, fixing diff weeps and driveline vibrations, etc. The 3rd gen Tacoma was as good as it was going to get by 2020 or 2021. My 2017 wasn’t fun. I blame Swears.

His Tacoma team did make Toyota a shit ton of money, so I credit him for that. I made a tidy sum on TM stock, too. Toyota rewarded him with a huge promotion.
All good points.

Jcisco951

First Name
Jozie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma trd sport
To update y’all. Transmission was leaking and losing pressure bc of a seal they think. Of course the parts not in because it’s new. They said the seal is a manufactured problem because the new transmission came as a unit and they just put they unit on so the failing of the internal components must be manufactured issue. But yes there is a problem. The transmission is losing pressure allowing it not to shift and is leaking fluid. Keep yall updated. Hopefully it’s not more than that.

Jcisco951

First Name
Jozie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma trd sport
My trd sport got a new trans and TC AT 5000 and at 1000 miles after the new trans and TC it was downshift from 2 to 1 gear hard. I decided to just trade it for a trd OR

IMG_5802.jpeg

IMG_5798.jpeg

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
My trd sport got a new trans and TC AT 5000 and at 1000 miles after the new trans and TC it was downshift from 2 to 1 gear hard. I decided to just trade it for a trd OR

IMG_5802.jpeg

IMG_5798.jpeg
What the heck is going on with these transmissions? Dealer give you any insight? Who’s to say your new truck isn’t going to develop the same problem

Sponsored

Jcisco951

First Name
Jozie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma trd sport
What the heck is going on with these transmissions? Dealer give you any insight? Who’s to say your new truck isn’t going to develop the same problem
No insight. Dealers have the same amount of info as we consumers do. Bottom line . 80,000 trucks have been sold and only like 13 have been reported to the national highway safety report for transmission problems. My guess it was a bad batch of TC. But I will be updating each 1000 miles .

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
No insight. Dealers have the same amount of info as we consumers do. Bottom line . 80,000 trucks have been sold and only like 13 have been reported to the national highway safety report for transmission problems. My guess it was a bad batch of TC. But I will be updating each 1000 miles .
Gotcha but the weird shifting and hard shifting is reported way more then 13 times, which many that failed said those were the symptoms. So the situation is very blurry

OP
OP

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
There’s very many that aren’t reported to that website. I wouldn’t have reported unless I saw to on the forum. There’s a lot of people that just don’t even know to do that like me
Sponsored