Sponsored

NoNo

First Name
MrNo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
You are not calculating your MPG properly. There is ZERO chance you are getting 32.2 on a tank of gas. You are looking at your display at one single point of time. I can get 40 coasting downhill, truck in neutral.

Reset your trip odometer to 0. Fill up your tank and stop filling it after first click. Then go drive for that entire tank. Go fill up again to the first click. Take your trip odometer reading and divide by the number of gallons you put in to the .00. Then report back. I promise you that you are not getting anywhere close to 32.
I don't think he was saying for a full tank. I've gotten 31mpg for a 50 mile trip. 45-60mph the whole way, no stops, and relatively flat and winding state road. That's the best I've done but I haven't been trying to set any records either.
Sponsored

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
I don't think he was saying for a full tank.
Well that is usually a MPG gauge and how you figure it. You don't look down at your ECO screen when cruising downhill with a tail wind behind a semi and see that it says 40 and report you are getting 40 MPG. You at minimum calculate a tank full if not multiple tanks to report your true MPG.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
Well that is usually a MPG gauge and how you figure it. You don't look down at your ECO screen when cruising downhill with a tail wind behind a semi and see that it says 40 and report you are getting 40 MPG. You at minimum calculate a tank full if not multiple tanks to report your true MPG.
No, trip MPG exists.

As does the MPG the MID tells you after you turn the vehicle off.

I've gotten up to 26 on a 23 mile trip in my TrailHunter

mrgooden

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
You are not calculating your MPG properly. There is ZERO chance you are getting 32.2 on a tank of gas. You are looking at your display at one single point of time. I can get 40 coasting downhill, truck in neutral.

Reset your trip odometer to 0. Fill up your tank and stop filling it after first click. Then go drive for that entire tank. Go fill up again to the first click. Take your trip odometer reading and divide by the number of gallons you put in to the .00. Then report back. I promise you that you are not getting anywhere close to 32.
Did I say on a tank of gas? I commute 30 or so miles 1 way. The record on my commute is 32.2.

Richard

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did I say on a tank of gas? I commute 30 or so miles 1 way. The record on my commute is 32.2.

Richard
Oh ok. I thought we were reporting real world MPGs. Never mind I am not getting 19. I am getting 40. Toyota really should change their window stickers to reflect the 30-35 people are claiming. They would sell a hell of a lot more Tacomas. That is better MPG than my econo box 22 Corolla I sold for this truck.

Sponsored

mrgooden

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
A daily commute is real world mileage. Not sure what world you live in. But hey, I make it up.

2024 Tacoma Real-Life MPG Thread - Share Your 2024+ Tacoma 4th Gen's Gas Mileage! ⛽ 20240722_113527

Taco Azul

First Name
MP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Trailhunter LB, Tesla Model X, Polestar 2, Toyota GR86
I just got 24.5 mpg on a 50 mile drive while fully loaded and pulling a trailer!

* I was traveling from Timberline Lodge to the Portland area, so I dropped about 5500 feet in elevation.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
While well known it’s frowned upon to leave the air dam or otherwise referred to as “The Snow Plow” on your 24 Tacoma I have left mine in place and my gas mileage is so incredible that I do not even pay attention to MPG. I run 93 octane but when filling 5 gallon jugs with 90 non ethanol for everthing carbureted I will top off truck with that. 93 is a seat of the pants difference in performance from 87. That’s a big jump in octane. Do any of you notice a difference with octane numbers ?

NoNo

First Name
MrNo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
Oh ok. I thought we were reporting real world MPGs. Never mind I am not getting 19. I am getting 40. Toyota really should change their window stickers to reflect the 30-35 people are claiming. They would sell a hell of a lot more Tacomas. That is better MPG than my econo box 22 Corolla I sold for this truck.
Calculating a full tank is no more "real" mpg than calculating a trip of any significant mileage. A full tank could just as easily be any type of driving as a shorter trip. I manually calculated a full tank and got 23.5mpg and that included a full hour of idling, some time in 4wd, and a good bit of off-roading. Having calculated it once, I won't do it again. It's more relevant to me to see what I'm getting for specific types of drives, rather than what I get for any given tank. I want to have an idea what I get driving 75+ on the interstate, compared to driving 55-65, versus stop and go driving or my regular commute to work.

mrgooden

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
While well known it’s frowned upon to leave the air dam or otherwise referred to as “The Snow Plow” on your 24 Tacoma I have left mine in place and my gas mileage is so incredible that I do not even pay attention to MPG. I run 93 octane but when filling 5 gallon jugs with 90 non ethanol for everthing carbureted I will top off truck with that. 93 is a seat of the pants difference in performance from 87. That’s a big jump in octane. Do any of you notice a difference with octane numbers ?
I just put regular, but I really did not notice a difference in mileage on my last FI car.

Richard

Sponsored

Powhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 TRD OR 6MT DCSB Underground
6MT TRD Offroad here. I reset my fuel economy when I put on new wheels and tires. 285/70r17 Toyo RTs, a true 33” tire weighing in at 60lbs apiece. Over 4000 km of highway, city, gravel and trail I’m averaging 13.1 L/100km which is 18.0 mpg.

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calculating a full tank is no more "real" mpg than calculating a trip of any significant mileage. A full tank could just as easily be any type of driving as a shorter trip. I manually calculated a full tank and got 23.5mpg and that included a full hour of idling, some time in 4wd, and a good bit of off-roading. Having calculated it once, I won't do it again. It's more relevant to me to see what I'm getting for specific types of drives, rather than what I get for any given tank. I want to have an idea what I get driving 75+ on the interstate, compared to driving 55-65, versus stop and go driving or my regular commute to work.
Ok. I will leave it be. That is not how I or the EPA looks at MPG. They don't (nor I) look at one small example and call out that for an MPG I am getting. It is for the life of the car/truck so people can figure out about what the fuel expense will be for ownership of a vehicle. I believe the Monroney even has a statement of "fuel cost during ownership". Even one tank full isn't really a true MPG rating for a (your) truck. True MPG is for the length of ownership. So hyper-miling and making claims that one is getting X MPG just for the sake of claiming some non realistic high number is USUALLY not what these threads are about.

Based on the folks that are actually looking at it longer term(and how the EPA averages it out) it appears that the Tacoma is right around the 20 MPG number. Peace out.

JED

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tacoma TRD Sport
There's been some MPG talk in this thread, but can the other 2024 Tacoma owners report here what kind of MPG you're getting?

I know everyone's still in the first few weeks of owning the truck, but curious if you're all seeing above or below EPA rating so far.
So after 3500 miles of mixed driving my mileage is a solid 17.5 MPG. That said I replaced the OEM tires (31.6” dia) immediately with 33.9” diameter Toyo’s. The Toyo’s have a 7% greater circumference. Adding 7% to 17.5 gives me 18.75 MPG. Does that correction sound right?
Sponsored