Rear Differential Not Engaging

Jettabold

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
Anybody have any thoughts on why my locking rear diff will not engage? It just blinks the whole time. I'm following the manual's instructions, but it's not working. It's in 4 low, wheels not moving. Tried it in Park, Reverse, Neutral, and Drive with wheels not moving. Still nothing. Plan to take it to the dealer if I can't get it to work. Thanks, Doug
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jettabold

Jettabold

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
So you put it in 4 high, put it in neutral, and then 4 low?
Yes, you always have to go to neutral before you engage in 4Lo. That engagement usually works pretty well. The 4Lo light stops blinking and then I rode in 4Lo for 50 yards or so, before I stopped and pushed the lock diff button. Just keep blinking.

Sponsored

mcrwlrpro

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma TRD Pro, 2016 Lexus ES 350
When it won't lock, the trick is to turn the steering wheel slightly left or right and roll about a foot and it should engage. This is has been a thing since the 1st gen.

StreeTaco

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
It’s not likely to engage if you’re not moving. Also, manuver the truck in a way to make the rear tires turn at different speeds, wether it be turning while moving or actually goosing the throttle to make one rear tire slip just enough for the locker to engage.

OP
OP
Jettabold

Jettabold

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
It’s not likely to engage if you’re not moving. Also, manuver the truck in a way to make the rear tires turn at different speeds, wether it be turning while moving or actually goosing the throttle to make one rear tire slip just enough for the locker to engage.
Well this is my first Taco so all good to know. Seems like they manual would go into some of these gyrations! I'll try you suggestions soon and let everyone know if it works. Thanks,

Cabby30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 DCLB TRD OR
This is normal. Go ahead and put the truck into drive after pushing the button and roll a foot or two forward. It should lock once the pin engages. With the window down, you’ll be able to hear it click into place.

OP
OP
Jettabold

Jettabold

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
It worked! I turned the wheel sharply and drove forward like a yard and it engaged. It's crazy the manual doesn't tell you that. When they say the wheels need to not be moving I take that literally, haha. Thanks to everyone's help and replies.
Sponsored