Road force balancing to get rid of vibration

Badgertaco

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma OR
Hey everyone, i installed a set of 285 70 17 toyo open country on my OR about 2000km ago and now i have a vibration at 96kph and up. I've had the tires balanced 3 times and no change but never had them done on a road force style machine. Is this possibly the only way of getting these tires to run smoothly. I'm asking because I'm not super excited about spending more money on balancing with no results. Any advice or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
Doesn’t sound acceptable to me a retailer who sold you tires and installed and balanced them can’t get a shake out of the truck. Get your money back and go elsewhere (Preferably somewhere that has a road force balancer)

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
Hey everyone, i installed a set of 285 70 17 toyo open country on my OR about 2000km ago and now i have a vibration at 96kph and up. I've had the tires balanced 3 times and no change but never had them done on a road force style machine. Is this possibly the only way of getting these tires to run smoothly. I'm asking because I'm not super excited about spending more money on balancing with no results. Any advice or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
This was a good while ago and ultimately over the dealer not able to properly address lug-centric vs hub-centric but I got my cost reimbursed from a place that was with the right tools, competent, and in that also discovered a tire well out of spec. That was all for my then new and under warranty 4Runner.

I also had a tire replacement scenario where the seller could not do a good job. In that case the Discount Tire chain stores with the right gear and training balanced solved it but also found an out of spec tire.

From those two experiences ever since I only go to same Discount Tire store, a very high quality independent service place or COSTCO. The only issues there is the independent place only sells Michelin and Nokian, and COSTCO only sells and mounts original equipment compatible tires.

You might have to take my path to be satisfied, it might not be a bargain, but it is how we've stopped the annoying problem. I've also kept the vehicles in spec which might not work for someone getting these pickups specifically for more extreme hobby and sport.

GPTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport Premium
I just installed a set of Toyo Open Country 265/65R18 on my TRD Sport Premium and have had no issues.
Hope you can get your balance troubles resolved.

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Something isn't right with your tires and or wheels. No way you should need road force balancing. Try moving back to front and see if the shake goes away. Bottom line you should go back to your tire store and ask them to replace the tire(s) that won't balance.

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
Something happened after 1200 miles. Either a weight fell off (I'm sure that possibility has been eliminated), or there is a structural issue in one of the tires.
Sponsored