Sponsored

Rotating full size spare - TPMS?

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000
Would the TPMS figure out which tires are active if there are 5 sensors (1 inactive)?

I have the limited (full time 4wd). Im assuming tire rotations every 4000 miles would not cause a problem as there would be minimal wear difference.
Sponsored

soupy1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR Long Bed
Have a look at page 540 in the manual. It goes over registering ids. Haven't tried anything myself.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5
Did anyone get this to work on their own without getting the dealer involved? My dealer wants $200 to get my truck to recognize a set of 2024 TRD Sport wheels tires and sensors. That seems a little steep.

Baltimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gen1.5 Highlander v6 AWD, gen4 Taco Ltd Max
The reference on calibrating the system was called out above and the manual steps are reasonably clear (not always the case)

Especially if you have 5 sensors, you'll longer have to do the full classroom where you drive a few miles for it to figure out both website and tire size to adjust speedometer.

Related information though from my tire shop:
Limited Hybrid ships with a full size temporary spare (for all the ranting in whatever threads there where about this, I went back and looked at my windows sticker from a 2004 and it clearly states "matching spare" when it's a regular tire on the same wheel).

That full size temporary is 245/75R17 112S (spare) (17" steel wheel) versus the regular tire of 265/65R18 114T (18" alloy wheel).
The shop measured that the spare is 1/10" of an inch shy of a brand new regular, and 1/10" larger than a regular tire at full wear life (Factory "General" tires tread wear is 3/8"). This equates to two extra rotations per mile (641 vs 639). Thus, our hypothesis is that this was very intentional in sizing for the middle of the wear life on the OEM sizing.

Also means that if you're on 18" rims you have to buy a new spare rim to make all five equal.

(PS your $200 is way steep. My tire shop was $32.25 ($30 labor and $2.25 weights/shop parts) per tire to move the sensors and tires from the OEM wheels to a different wheel, balance them with color matched stick on weights, and recalibrate the system (since they wanted to be safe in case a tire position accidentally changed). Took 2.5h and $130.

Last edited:

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
Would the TPMS figure out which tires are active if there are 5 sensors (1 inactive)?

I have the limited (full time 4wd). Im assuming tire rotations every 4000 miles would not cause a problem as there would be minimal wear difference.
You do not have a TPMS sensor in your spare. You could certainly add one and any reputable tire shop could do that and then do a relearn adding the 5th TPMS into the trucks system via a TPMS tool with OBD connection. It should cost about $25 or free if you bought the sensor from them. Certainly NOT $200

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5
Yeah my dealer seems to be playing games...

I have a 2024 SR5, I'm getting someone's 2024 Sport wheels that are take offs (wheels, ties & sensors) and installing on my truck. Dealer is telling me its $40 a tire to relearn which sounds more like what it would cost to replace the sensors itself.

So $160 is lower but Jesus it's still way too high...

I referenced the manual for the 7" screen and the option to "Change wheel" Is not there. Seems like the Manual is not lining up with the trucks instrument panel options which sucks because the manual says you can register TPMS on your own without the dealer needed.

Also called 2 other tire shops near me and once I said it was a 2024 Toyota Tacoma they said they don't have the ability to add those sensors, only the aftermarket sensors. WTF!

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok now that I understand what you are trying to do.

You do need an OBD relearn TPMS tool to do the job. You need a shop that does a lot of tires as they would have needed to add the 2024 into their scanners.

If you have a Discount Tire nearby go there. If not tell your local shop to do the RELEARN as a 2021 Tacoma (alloy wheels) version. The 2024 have the T6 (550-0106) sensor so there are a bunch of Toyota‘s that use that sensor and that is all you need to do the relearn. It is TPMS protocol specific not year and model specific to do relearns.
Hope that helps.

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh and the cost should be about $25 if not free. It takes 5 min and most local shops around here would do it for free if you are nice and they think they will get your business in the future.

Baltimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do it yourself - in the owners manual:

Tire pressure warning system ...............................................504 Function................................504 Initializing..............................507
Installing tire pressure warning valves and transmitters......506
Registering ID codes............509
Selecting wheel set..............511

By the way if any ship gives you crap about it being a 24 Tacoma just tell them it's the same sensors as a 22-22 Tundra.

What they might not have is the ability to do an alignment. My shop only gets alignment system updates over a year and since Toyota wasn't shipping EOY last year yet, they didn't have it's settings. When I did my wheel swap, they loaded the 2024 Tundra profile just to do a before/after compare - not to change anything.

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do it yourself - in the owners manual:

Tire pressure warning system ...............................................504 Function................................504 Initializing..............................507
Installing tire pressure warning valves and transmitters......506
Registering ID codes............509
Selecting wheel set..............511

By the way if any ship gives you crap about it being a 24 Tacoma just tell them it's the same sensors as a 22-22 Tundra.

What they might not have is the ability to do an alignment. My shop only gets alignment system updates over a year and since Toyota wasn't shipping EOY last year yet, they didn't have it's settings. When I did my wheel swap, they loaded the 2024 Tundra profile just to do a before/after compare - not to change anything.
He can’t do it by himself. These are take offs and he does not have the ids to load them. They are installed in the tire. He does have a tool to scan and get the ids.

Sponsored

Baltimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He can’t do it by himself. These are take offs and he does not have the ids to load them. They are installed in the tire. He does have a tool to scan and get the ids.
If you read pages 509-510 it explains the process to register new IDs. No special tool is called out or required.

Copy/Pasted below to showcase, but it's more understandable in the manual where the pictures exist.

Every tire pressure warning valve and transmitter has a unique ID code. When replacing a tire pressure warning valve and transmitter, it is necessary to register the ID code. When registering the ID codes, perform the following procedure. 1 Park the vehicle in a safe place, wait for approximately 20 minutes, and then start the truck. 2 Press and hold to display the cursor on the content display area (center) of the multi-information display. 3 Press / of the meter control switches to select “ Settings” and then press . 4 Press / of the meter control switches, select “Vehicle Settings” and then press and hold .
5 Press / of the meter control switches, select “TPWS setting” and then press . 6 Press / of the meter control switches, select the “Identifying Each Wheel & Position”. Then press and hold until the tire pressure warning light blinks slowly 3 times. Then a message will be displayed on the multi-information display. When registration is being performed, the tire pressure warning light will blink for approximately 1 minute then illuminate and “--” will be displayed for the inflation pressure of each tire on the multi-information display. Even if the vehicle is not driven at approximately 25 mph (40 km/h) or more, registration can be completed by driving for a long time. However, if registration does not complete after driving for 1 hour or more, perform the procedure again from the beginning. 8 Initialize the tire pressure warning system. (P.507) ■When registering ID codes ●ID code registration is performed while driving at a vehicle speed of approximately 25 mph (40 km/h) or more. ●Before performing ID code registration, make sure that no wheels with tire pressure warning valve and transmitters installed are near the vehicle. ●Make sure to initialize the tire pressure warning system after registering the ID codes. If the system is initialized before registering the ID codes, the initialized values will be invalid. ●ID codes can be registered by yourself, but depending on the driving conditions and driving environment, registration may take some time to complete. ●As the tires will be warm when registration is completed, make sure to allow the tires to cool before performing initialization.

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It takes 5 min at a shop. Doing it the way the manual describes is a PITA and it even states it can take up to an hour of driving to get it done.

Dansflhti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport,16 Mustang GT Conv,14 HD SG.
I'll be going through this overly complicated process in a few weeks when I install my winter tires which are mounted on OEM Off Road wheels with Toyota sensors. I had a 2016 F-150 and presently have a 2016 Mustang. The process with them is to put on wheels and drive down the street...less than a KM the PSI displays on the dash...easy peasy.

NewtoToyota

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 TRD Sport
I had issues with the tpms when I installed new wheels and tires since I did it myself instead of taking it to a shop. I messed with the settings and couldn't figure it out, got the tpms error code. Kept messing with the settings in the dash then after airing down to hit some trails and airing back up, the pressures registered.
Sponsored