Rough transmission shifts

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Wow 76 days. I just hope this new trans is properly put together. Would love for this truck to last over 200,000 miles like my 2017 tacoma sr5
There’s a bulletin coming from Toyota in this issue soon, or a recall. I spoke with a Toyota tech and there’s 9 tacomas at his dealership for broken transmissions. His theory is Toyota is gonna start having dealers replace the torque converter and flush all the cooling lines . I think they were doing full trans replacements so the engineers could get the full picture of what’s happening and develop a fix for it
Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
We are all wondering what is causing this, but trust me, Toyota is even more interested than we are.

That is one of the things I like about Toyota. Not that they never make mistakes, but when they do, they dig until they find the cause of things like this and then move forward with a fix.

My truck is already built so I could have this problem but I trust Toyota to sort this out. I have never heard of any compensation for your truck's down time. When they provide a loaner while you wait that is your compensation and that seems fair to me.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
We are all wondering what is causing this, but trust me, Toyota is even more interested than we are.

That is one of the things I like about Toyota. Not that they never make mistakes, but when they do, they dig until they find the cause of things like this and then move forward with a fix.

My truck is already built so I could have this problem but I trust Toyota to sort this out. I have never heard of any compensation for your truck's down time. When they provide a loaner while you wait that is your compensation and that seems fair to me.
There’s a team of engineers probably working 24/7 on this issue, there reputation is on the line big time. The tundra problems really put the spot light on Toyota. It will be figured out very soon and taken care of. I smell a bulletin being released next week. I check every day at work on my data base to see if Toyota issued a tsb yet

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I check every day at work on my data base to see if Toyota issued a tsb yet
Good job and please post when you find information about this.

This problem coming right on the heels of the huge Tundra engine recall is really shining a spotlight on Toyota and its rep for quality products. They can save themselves if they treat us all right, like they are doing with the new engines in over 100,000 Tundras.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Good job and please post when you find information about this.

This problem coming right on the heels of the huge Tundra engine recall is really shining a spotlight on Toyota and its rep for quality products. They can save themselves if they treat us all right, like they are doing with the new engines in over 100,000 Tundras.
Agreed and I truly believe they will treat us right. After Covid the world changed and quality has been ever so hard to achieve it appears. I will certainly post the tsb the moment I see it

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I wonder if there was a batch of bad parts? Plus, you shouldn't have to drive thousands of miles for the transmission to start working correctly.
I agree - you should not have to drive any vehicle just to make it work properly.

I have written embedded code to control some very complex machinery. The learning thing is just to optimize performance, which should basically work properly from the start. The software can "learn" details about how you drive and improve performance, but should always work right out of the box.

Sales/service people at car dealerships lean on this hard to excuse something not working right and avoid fixing it.

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
There’s a bulletin coming from Toyota in this issue soon, or a recall. I spoke with a Toyota tech and there’s 9 tacomas at his dealership for broken transmissions. His theory is Toyota is gonna start having dealers replace the torque converter and flush all the cooling lines . I think they were doing full trans replacements so the engineers could get the full picture of what’s happening and develop a fix for it
This makes perfect sense. Whoever makes the torque converters is going to be losing money or, worse, the contract.

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
I agree - you should not have to drive any vehicle just to make it work properly.

I have written embedded code to control some very complex machinery. The learning thing is just to optimize performance, which should basically work properly from the start. The software can "learn" details about how you drive and improve performance, but should always work right out of the box.

Sales/service people at car dealerships lean on this hard to excuse something not working right and avoid fixing it.
Absolutely.

soxrok2212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
TRD Sport 4x4 with 1800mi here. Hearing a strange rattle on cold start when I shift from park to drive. Park to drive and drive to reverse also has a pretty hard jolt. Also feeling some rough downshifts when slowing down. If I put it into S at a stop, it shows in 3rd gear. Unsure if this is a computer glitch or if it's actually just in 3rd at a complete stop. Taking it to the dealer on Saturday.
small update: took the truck in this morning. Service shop said I’ll have to come back during the week when a master tech is there as we wasn’t familiar enough with the 24 Tacomas. He did take it for a test drive and said second gear felt quite harsh. I took the truck home then proceeded to drive 100 miles on it. Hit traffic, foot off the gas and heard a massive thud at 8mph. Hopefully it makes it back home. Will update after the next visit.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Hard to imagine that a massive thud is good news. Looking forward to hearing how this turns out.

Good luck!

Sponsored

soxrok2212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
small update: took the truck in this morning. Service shop said I’ll have to come back during the week when a master tech is there as we wasn’t familiar enough with the 24 Tacomas. He did take it for a test drive and said second gear felt quite harsh. I took the truck home then proceeded to drive 100 miles on it. Hit traffic, foot off the gas and heard a massive thud at 8mph. Hopefully it makes it back home. Will update after the next visit.
Made it home. On the way back, I put it into tow/haul to feel it hit every gear (mostly on deceleration). Each time it downshifts into first and second it buckles and the whole truck jerks. The tech earlier today said he noticed the same but didn’t have a comparison to know if it’s “normal” for this truck (I think we all know the answer here). Would anyone here be willing to try putting yours into tow/haul and seeing how smooth the downshifts are from various speeds? More harsh slowdowns tend to result in heavier buckling for me, but it’s always present regardless.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Made it home. On the way back, I put it into tow/haul to feel it hit every gear (mostly on deceleration). Each time it downshifts into first and second it buckles and the whole truck jerks. The tech earlier today said he noticed the same but didn’t have a comparison to know if it’s “normal” for this truck (I think we all know the answer here). Would anyone here be willing to try putting yours into tow/haul and seeing how smooth the downshifts are from various speeds? More harsh slowdowns tend to result in heavier buckling for me, but it’s always present regardless.
I noticed with mine in tow haul mode it’s a bit “rougher” but nothing significant

soxrok2212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
I noticed with mine in tow haul mode it’s a bit “rougher” but nothing significant
Interesting. I'm dropping it back off on Tuesday. Others are saying their torque converter is what failed. I'll share the details as I get them. Already missing my Taco and its not even gone yet!

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Interesting. I'm dropping it back off on Tuesday. Others are saying their torque converter is what failed. I'll share the details as I get them. Already missing my Taco and its not even gone yet!
Yeah let us know
Sponsored