Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
Ruissimo’s Ownership Blog – The 2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter

Fair warning: This is a long post, and I’ll be adding to the original post as the truck ownership experience develops and modifications pile up! If you’re here for specifics on the engine, ride, or features, feel free to skip to those sections. Otherwise, read on for the full journey!

Before Making the Jump

I’m a car guy; I’m not big on tinkering with my vehicles, but I sure do love them and take good care of them. Cars for me are not a way to get from point A to point B; I spend a significant amount of time driving (I average 20,000 miles a year now, but the first year I owned my current car, I put 35,000 miles on the odometer.) I want tech and features to keep me entertained and comfortable while I drive.

This is my first Toyota, though I’ve had family members who owned them before. My parents owned a Corolla in the 90s which lost a battle against a telephone pole. My brother just traded in his previous gen Tundra, my father owns a 2021 Tacoma TRD Sport, and my wife owned a 2017 Sienna XLE before trading it in for a 2023 Sienna XSE last summer. None of these vehicles ever had any major issues.

Prior to the wife’s 2023 Sienna, to me, Toyota was a car brand that made reliable, boring cars. I never honestly considered buying one. Until I sat in that van. The hybrid system, upgraded technology and interior, and the quality really changed my perception of the brand.

I started looking for my next vehicle in the fall of 2022. I coach soccer and one of my kids is a baseball catcher. We are always at the ball field, and my 2019 Genesis G70’s trunk just couldn’t keep up with folding goals, catcher bags, 72 soccer balls, pinnies (dirty/clean/unknown), chairs, coolers, etc. Though we’re no longer in cub scouts, my boys and I fell in love with camping, hiking and fishing, so my next vehicle should make it easier for us to be outdoors.

I wanted something with storage capability and/or versatility for all of these activities. I looked at the Highlander and thought it might fit the bill, but kept leaning more towards the 4Runner. So, like the obsessive researcher I am, I googled:

“When will the new 4Runner generation be released?”

I found a couple of articles that predicted a new generation 4Runner for the 2024 model, but that didn’t happen. Then I saw an article that said the 4th generation Tacoma was imminent. I liked driving my father’s Taco, but felt the interior and tech (just like on the 4Runner) was at least 10 years too old for my taste. A few weeks later, I clicked on another article with a picture of the Trailhunter, in glorious Bronze Oxide.

My fate was sealed.

The Purchase

The process of getting this truck was long and filled with delays. I placed my deposit on August 19, 2023, expecting it to arrive some time in early 2024. However, between delays in production and a couple of QC holds, it wasn’t until August 21, 2024 that I finally took delivery of my Bronze Oxide 2024 Tacoma Trailhunter with a 5 foot bed. The one year and two days wait tested my patience, but when I finally got laid eyes on it, I knew it was well worth the wait.

For reference, here are the key dates:

1724389555117-ea.png

I worked with Lynch Toyota of Manchester, CT for the purchase, and they were very easy to deal with. I had my insurance and finances sorted out ahead of time, which made the process smoother. The dealership was efficient, but I made sure to be clear about how I wanted the truck prepped. I went through an extensive delivery checklist I had prepared, and had the salesperson ensure the last few items were taken care of before I drove off: tire pressure to 32 PSI, a JBL speaker in its rightful place, help finding the receiver hitch and ball mount, and most importantly, to get rid of the dealer sticker on the tailgate. Get that outta here!

They did a great job getting it all done in a couple of hours. They also gave me a fair price for my trade-in, and I was talked into the 7 year, 125,000 mile extended warranty. I had already considered purchasing it anyway because of the hybrid battery, and that, combined with their price, made it hard to resist.

The Drive Home

MY GOD, THIS TRUCK IS GORGEOUS. It is huge. It is mean. The color is unique. The interior is modern and efficient. It feels every inch of a midsize truck inside, but outside, it doesn’t get intimidated by full size trucks because it holds its own! For reference, the Trailhunter is an inch narrower and and 0.2 inches taller than my friend's 2023 Silverado. Thicc.

We can argue about break-in periods all day, but I don’t drive highways for more than a couple of miles at a time the first 1,000 miles. I don’t use cruise control, I don’t break or accelerate hard, and I vary RPMs as much as possible. So I drove 102 miles home through the backroads of Connecticut and New York.

Two minutes after pulling out of the dealership parking lot, the immaculate shininess and cleanliness was erased by a rain shower. It was a sunny day. And it rained because screw me, that’s why. Whatever, this baby is going to be dirty a lot, and we might as well get it done early on.

Two minutes later, a late model Ford F150 pulls up to my left blind spot, and the driver honks at me, then accelerates to see me, and gives me a thumbs up with a huge smile. It took 4 minutes for someone to appreciate what a phenomenal job Toyota has done with the appearance on this truck and this trim in particular.

For specifics on the actual ride, read on.

The Engine & Ride

It’s difficult for me to opine on the engine as I will be in the break-in period for another 750 miles or so. However, it is apparent to me that even at low revs, there is plenty of power on tap to propel this beast forward.

I was expecting the hybrid engine is this truck to be more similar to my wife’s Sienna, to be honest; in her car, you step on the gas pedal, the car silently lunges forward on electric power, then you hear the ICE kick on and take over, begrudgingly. In this truck, the transition is almost instantaneous, though it is very possible this is because I’m not taking liberties with the gas pedal. I don’t think I’ve gone over 3,000 RPM yet. I will provide a better opinion on the engine and transmission in a few days when I take the shackles off. Keep in mind, this is my first truck, and this could be completely normal behavior. More to come.

The cold air intake is equal parts cool and distracting. I can barely hear it with the windows rolled up, but with them down, I can’t imagine tolerating it on a daily basis. With the radio on, I couldn’t hear it at all. 99% of the time, my radio is on. The kids think it’s badass.

The suspension is firm, which I suspect is exactly what you want in a truck like this. On good roads, it absorbs bumps easily, and is vastly more comfortable than my sports sedan was. On uneven roads, you feel every bump, just like I used to in large wheels and low profile sedan tires. I will update you on the ride when off the beaten path in a few weeks. Steering is responsive, especially for a vehicle of this size, and the ride feels stable and predictable. In a couple of tight turns, I was made aware I was in a large vehicle with some limitations.

All in all, I am overall impressed with the engine and ride, but many miles need to be added to the odometer until I can give you a full honest and thorough opinion.

The Features

This truck has ALMOST every feature my 5 year-old, $57,000 Genesis had: smart cruise, lane departure assist and warning, HUD, and heated and ventilated front seats. The only things I didn’t carry over were the heated rear seats and moonroof. In 102,000 miles, I never sat in that back seat, and I used the moonroof once every couple of weeks from April to October. I won’t miss them much.

The upgrades more than make up for these two things, though. The screen is easily 6 inches larger, and sharper. The ride height… chef’s kiss. I can see Russia from my seat, it’s so high. And at night, I am not blinded by 99% of the cars I encounter. I feel more visible to others, and I feel safer, though I’m old enough to know drivers are idiots and vigilance needs to be constant. I mentioned the lane departure system before, and I feel Toyota’s is better than my 5 year-old Genesis’, but most of that experience is from driving my wife’s Sienna. When I use smart cruise on the highway in a few days, I’ll know whether the Tacoma’s system is as good. It should be the exact same.

The cabin is about the same size as my sedan, too, both in front and in the back. The storage in the center console and glove box is similar, but the door storage is far superior in the Taco.

The cabin finish feels durable, and the overall fit and feel of the interior is rugged, which I quite like. City driving is VERY quiet for a truck, but I suspect highway driving will bring additional road noise.

The Overall Ownership Experience So Far

It’s been about a day and a half, but most of that time has been spent outside the truck. In the short time I’ve had it, though, it has exceeded my expectations. It’s clearly designed for adventure, and while I haven’t had the chance to take it off-road yet, I’m excited to see how it performs when I do. The build quality feels solid, and the truck’s elevated ride height gives me confidence that it can tackle whatever terrain I throw at it. So far, the truck has been everything I hoped it would be. It’s sturdy, capable, and full of features that make driving it both fun and practical.

A friend came over to pick up his kid earlier tonight, and he was flabbergasted by the truck. He couldn’t stop saying things like, “I can’t believe this is a Tacoma”, “this doesn’t look like anything else I’ve seen on the road”, “This thing is awesome”, and so on. I suspect I’ll get a lot of those reactions in the coming months before there are more of these on the road.

What’s to Come?

The main goal for this truck is to add some modifications in the short-term that will allow me to meet my daily needs: pick ups and drop offs at school, activities, and most importantly, to get everyone and everything to the sports fields with as little effort as possible.

I also want to customize the truck so that it is aesthetically different from other Tacomas. I’m not looking for major changes, but more subtle ones (see modifications section below).

As I turn 50 this year, I have made it a life goal to visit as many of our national parks as possible. I want to enjoy nature with the kids before they’re off to college, so in the next year or two, I’ll be adding some “light” overlanding gear, though I haven’t decided on what exactly. We have several ground tents and air mattresses, so I may try out a truck bed tent setup before attempting a rooftop tent or camper trailer later on. To be determined.

The First Mods

As I’ve stated above, I have begun with a few key modifications to enhance the truck’s functionality for my needs, and to make it my own:

Aug 21, 2024:
  • Installed Visor Molle Panel – Quick access to a 5” LED flashlight and Smith & Wesson folding knife on the passenger side
  • Installed Visor Document Holder – Quick access to registration and insurance on the driver’s side
Aug 22, 2024:
  • Removed ARB Bar – I don’t see much functionality, and it is currently incompatible with a tonneau cover, which allows for better protection and security
  • Installed OEM Trifold Tonneau Cover – Can’t leave sports equipment in an open bed
  • Installed Diode Dynamics HitchMount Reverse Light Kit – Since I won’t be towing any time soon, why not get better visibility? Good lighting while backing up at night, and the brake light flickers quickly and brightly
  • Installed TRD Front Grille Badge – A subtle touch of personalization
  • Installed Glove Box Divider – Not sure how useful it will be until I start filling it
  • Installed Armrest Cover – I have bony elbows, so extra padding is always good, plus the dog likes to step on the armrest to steal kisses. The hammock I bought will help prevent this, though
  • Installed Armrest Storage Tray – Adds verticality and organization
  • Added Tactical Patches – One ‘Murica flag patch, and one Great Smoky Mountains National Park patch. Hoping for at least 4 more National Park patches this year! I’m placing them on the driver’s side of the carpet surrounding the center console for now
Aug 23, 2024:
  • Installed Bed Extender – To keep stuff close to the tailgate

The BlackVue DR900X-2CH front and rear dash cams were removed from my old car, and I'm waiting on some parts and connectors so I can install them in the truck. I feel vulnerable without it. I've had a dashcam in my last 5 cars, over a 12+ year span. It is a priority.

I’m also looking to add several other mods that have already been purchased, but will take a few days to get installed. Stay tuned.

That’s all for now. I’ll be posting some pictures and videos as things get added, or places visited, or because.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Biggs1975

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Toyota Tacoma

Fair warning: This is a long post, and I’ll be adding to the original post as the truck ownership experience develops and modifications pile up! If you’re here for specifics on the engine, ride, or features, feel free to skip to those sections. Otherwise, read on for the full journey!

Before Making the Jump

I’m a car guy; I’m not big on tinkering with my vehicles, but I sure do love them and take good care of them. Cars for me are not a way to get from point A to point B; I spend a significant amount of time driving (I average 20,000 miles a year now, but the first year I owned my current car, I put 35,000 miles on the odometer.) I want tech and features to keep me entertained and comfortable while I drive.

This is my first Toyota, though I’ve had family members who owned them before. My parents owned a Corolla in the 90s which lost a battle against a telephone pole. My brother just traded in his previous gen Tundra, my father owns a 2021 Tacoma TRD Sport, and my wife owned a 2017 Sienna XLE before trading it in for a 2023 Sienna XSE last summer. None of these vehicles ever had any major issues.

Prior to the wife’s 2023 Sienna, to me, Toyota was a car brand that made reliable, boring cars. I never honestly considered buying one. Until I sat in that van. The hybrid system, upgraded technology and interior, and the quality really changed my perception of the brand.

I started looking for my next vehicle in the fall of 2022. I coach soccer and one of my kids is a baseball catcher. We are always at the ball field, and my 2019 Genesis G70’s trunk just couldn’t keep up with folding goals, catcher bags, 72 soccer balls, pinnies (dirty/clean/unknown), chairs, coolers, etc. Though we’re no longer in cub scouts, my boys and I fell in love with camping, hiking and fishing, so my next vehicle should make it easier for us to be outdoors.

I wanted something with storage capability and/or versatility for all of these activities. I looked at the Highlander and thought it might fit the bill, but kept leaning more towards the 4Runner. So, like the obsessive researcher I am, I googled:

I found a couple of articles that predicted a new generation 4Runner for the 2024 model, but that didn’t happen. Then I saw an article that said the 4th generation Tacoma was imminent. I liked driving my father’s Taco, but felt the interior and tech (just like on the 4Runner) was at least 10 years too old for my taste. A few weeks later, I clicked on another article with a picture of the Trailhunter, in glorious Bronze Oxide.

My fate was sealed.

The Purchase

The process of getting this truck was long and filled with delays. I placed my deposit on August 19, 2023, expecting it to arrive some time in early 2024. However, between delays in production and a couple of QC holds, it wasn’t until August 21, 2024 that I finally took delivery of my Bronze Oxide 2024 Tacoma Trailhunter with a 5 foot bed. The one year and two days wait tested my patience, but when I finally got laid eyes on it, I knew it was well worth the wait.

1724389555117-ea.png

I worked with Lynch Toyota of Manchester, CT for the purchase, and they were very easy to deal with. I had my insurance and finances sorted out ahead of time, which made the process smoother. The dealership was efficient, but I made sure to be clear about how I wanted the truck prepped. I went through an extensive delivery checklist I had prepared, and had the salesperson ensure the last few items were taken care of before I drove off: tire pressure to 32 PSI, a JBL speaker in its rightful place, help finding the receiver hitch and ball mount, and most importantly, to get rid of the dealer sticker on the tailgate. Get that outta here!

They did a great job getting it all done in a couple of hours. They also gave me a fair price for my trade-in, and I was talked into the 7 year, 125,000 mile extended warranty. I had already considered purchasing it anyway because of the hybrid battery, and that, combined with their price, made it hard to resist.

The Drive Home

MY GOD, THIS TRUCK IS GORGEOUS. It is huge. It is mean. The color is unique. The interior is modern and efficient. It feels every inch of a midsize truck inside, but outside, it doesn’t get intimidated by full size trucks because it holds its own! For reference, the Trailhunter is an inch narrower and and 0.2 inches taller than ,y friend's 2023 Silverado. Thicc.

We can argue about break-in periods all day, but I don’t drive highways for more than a couple of miles at a time the first 1,000 miles. I don’t use cruise control, I don’t break or accelerate hard, and I vary RPMs as much as possible. So I drove 102 miles home through the backroads of Connecticut and New York.

Two minutes after pulling out of the dealership parking lot, the immaculate shininess and cleanliness was erased by a rain shower. It was a sunny day. And it rained because screw me, that’s why. Whatever, this baby is going to be dirty a lot, and we might as well get it done early on.

Two minutes later, a late model Ford F150 pulls up to my left blind spot, and the driver honks at me, then accelerates to see me, and gives me a thumbs up with a huge smile. It took 4 minutes for someone to appreciate what a phenomenal job Toyota has done with the appearance on this truck and this trim in particular.

The Engine & Ride

It’s difficult for me to opine on the engine as I will be in the break-in period for another 750 miles or so. However, it is apparent to me that even at low revs, there is plenty of power on tap to propel this beast forward.

I was expecting the hybrid engine is this truck to be more similar to my wife’s Sienna, to be honest; in her car, you step on the gas pedal, the car silently lunges forward on electric power, then you hear the ICE kick on and take over, begrudgingly. In this truck, the transition is almost instantaneous, though it is very possible this is because I’m not taking liberties with the gas pedal. I don’t think I’ve gone over 3,000 RPM yet. I will provide a better opinion on the engine and transmission in a few days when I take the shackles off. Keep in mind, this is my first truck, and this could be completely normal behavior. More to come.

The cold air intake is equal parts cool and distracting. I can barely hear it with the windows rolled up, but with them down, I can’t imagine tolerating it on a daily basis. With the radio on, I couldn’t hear it at all. 99% of the time, my radio is on. The kids think it’s badass.

The suspension is firm, which I suspect is exactly what you want in a truck like this. On good roads, it absorbs bumps easily, and is vastly more comfortable than my sports sedan was. On uneven roads, you feel every bump, just like I used to in large wheels and low profile sedan tires. I will update you on the ride when off the beaten path in a few weeks. Steering is responsive, especially for a vehicle of this size, and the ride feels stable and predictable. In a couple of tight turns, I was made aware I was in a large vehicle with some limitations.

All in all, I am overall impressed with the engine and ride, but many miles need to be added to the odometer until I can give you a full honest and thorough opinion.

The Features

This truck has ALMOST every feature my 5 year-old, $57,000 Genesis had: smart cruise, lane departure assist and warning, HUD, and heated and ventilated front seats. The only things I didn’t carry over were the heated rear seats and moonroof. In 102,000 miles, I never sat in that back seat, and I used the moonroof once every couple of weeks from April to October. I won’t miss them much.

The upgrades more than make up for these two things, though. The screen is easily 6 inches larger, and sharper. The ride height… chef’s kiss. I can see Russia from my seat, it’s so high. And at night, I am not blinded by 99% of the cars I encounter. I feel more visible to others, and I feel safer, though I’m old enough to know drivers are idiots and vigilance needs to be constant. I mentioned the lane departure system before, and I feel Toyota’s is better than my 5 year-old Genesis’, but most of that experience is from driving my wife’s Sienna. When I use smart cruise on the highway in a few days, I’ll know whether the Tacoma’s system is as good. It should be the exact same.

The cabin is about the same size as my sedan, too, both in front and in the back. The storage in the center console and glove box is similar, but the door storage is far superior in the Taco.

The cabin finish feels durable, and the overall fit and feel of the interior is rugged, which I quite like. City driving is VERY quiet for a truck, but I suspect highway driving will bring additional road noise.

It’s been about a day and a half, but most of that time has been spent outside the truck. In the short time I’ve had it, though, it has exceeded my expectations. It’s clearly designed for adventure, and while I haven’t had the chance to take it off-road yet, I’m excited to see how it performs when I do. The build quality feels solid, and the truck’s elevated ride height gives me confidence that it can tackle whatever terrain I throw at it. So far, the truck has been everything I hoped it would be. It’s sturdy, capable, and full of features that make driving it both fun and practical.

A friend came over to pick up his kid earlier tonight, and he was flabbergasted by the truck. He couldn’t stop saying things like, “I can’t believe this is a Tacoma”, “this doesn’t look like anything else I’ve seen on the road”, “This thing is awesome”, and so on. I suspect I’ll get a lot of those reactions in the coming months before there are more of these on the road.

What’s to Come?

The main goal for this truck is to add some modifications in the short-term that will allow me to meet my daily needs: pick ups and drop offs at school, activities, and most importantly, to get everyone and everything to the sports fields with as little effort as possible.

I also want to customize the truck so that it is aesthetically different from other Tacomas. I’m not looking for major changes, but more subtle ones (see modifications section below).

As I turn 50 this year, I have made it a life goal to visit as many of our national parks as possible. I want to enjoy nature with the kids before they’re off to college, so in the next year or two, I’ll be adding some “light” overlanding gear, though I haven’t decided on what exactly. We have several ground tents and air mattresses, so I may try out a truck bed tent setup before attempting a rooftop tent or camper trailer later on. To be determined.

The First Mods

As I’ve stated above, I have begun with a few key modifications to enhance the truck’s functionality for my needs, and to make it my own:

Aug 21, 2024:
  • Installed Visor Molle Panel – Quick access to a 5” LED flashlight and Smith & Wesson folding knife on the passenger side
  • Installed Visor Document Holder – Quick access to registration and insurance on the driver’s side
Aug 22, 2024:
  • Removed ARB Bar – I don’t see much functionality, and it is currently incompatible with a tonneau cover, which allows for better protection and security
  • Installed OEM Trifold Tonneau Cover – Can’t leave sports equipment in an open bed
  • Installed Diode Dynamics HitchMount Reverse Light Kit – Since I won’t be towing any time soon, why not get better visibility? Good lighting while backing up at night, and the brake light flickers quickly and brightly
  • Installed Glove Box Divider – Not sure how useful it will be until I start filling it
  • Installed Armrest Cover – I have bony elbows, so extra padding is always good, plus the dog likes to step on the armrest to steal kisses. The hammock I bought will help prevent this, though
  • Added Tactical Patches – One ‘Murica flag patch, and one Great Smoky Mountains National Park patch. Hoping for at least 4 more National Park patches this year! I’m placing them on the driver’s side of the carpet surrounding the center console for now

The BlackVue DR900X-2CH front and rear dash cams were removed from my old car, and I'm waiting on some parts and connectors so I can install them in the truck. I feel vulnerable without it. I've had a dashcam in my last 5 cars, over a 12+ year span. It is a priority.

I’m also looking to add several other mods that have already been purchased, but will take a few days to get installed. Stay tuned.

That’s all for now. I’ll be posting some pictures and videos as things get added, or places visited, or because.
Congratulations, I know you and I have been waiting forever for our trucks!! I am finally going up to PA tomorrow to get my Trailhunter- hard to believe that I too will own one!!

OP
OP
Ruissimo

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aug 21, 2024:

Just picked up the truck and drove it home. As soon as I got home, I made a couple of quick changes:
455819955_1566837930900335_2487014866802119429_n.jpg

455657022_8028178823942246_3654863436603499600_n.jpg

Holder: Don't remember... I bought it when I owned my 2017 MINI. There are tons of them on Amazon.

Bigger mods tomorrow!

OP
OP
Ruissimo

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aug 22, 2024:

Slightly bigger changes today.
  • Removed ARB Bar – I don’t see much functionality, and it is currently incompatible with a tonneau cover, which allows for better protection and security. I do miss the looks though. It is a unique accessory, but I'm probably going to sell it
455033592_1966371347127567_1881468449954373443_n.jpg
455075985_8116085071806359_718384259628262931_n.jpg

Link: Hard Tonneau Cover - Standard Bed (toyota.com) - Hint: wait for the 25% off sales, and find it at a dealer near you! I paid $879.34 (including tax) for mine, because there was an additional coupon at my dealer.​
456257901_883999360301334_3350441512386973999_n.jpg
454223444_391751380608475_2268422651885751894_n.jpg
455688954_1217927282691818_1739690601695306431_n.jpg
456269224_527504973069841_4047107471733821654_n.jpg
454722935_1192136712058852_282668507912560108_n.jpg
453498077_787553319967279_7480149889948853480_n.jpg

Sponsored

Sponsored

TexasBlueCrush

First Name
bre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4th gen TRD Sport 6MT

Before Making the Jump

My fate was sealed.

The Purchase

1724389555117-ea.png

The Drive Home

MY GOD, THIS TRUCK IS GORGEOUS. It is huge. It is mean. The color is unique. The interior is modern and efficient. It feels every inch of a midsize truck inside, but outside, it doesn’t get intimidated by full size trucks because it holds its own! For reference, the Trailhunter is an inch narrower and and 0.2 inches taller than ,y friend's 2023 Silverado. Thicc.

The Engine & Ride

The Features

What’s to Come?

The First Mods

Aug 21, 2024:
Aug 22, 2024:

Great read Ruissimo and thanks for sharing.

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Limited iForce Max
I got a call today on a newly available TH. I said no.

OP
OP
Ruissimo

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got a call today on a newly available TH. I said no.
Cool. Now it’s available for someone who will appreciate it as much as I do mine.

Good news all around!

larkhen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord
Have you noticed issues with your high air intake cover like others have mentioned? You’re the first I’ve seen on the forum post getting a TH after the QC hold and I wanted to see if you thought the cover was loose/too easy to remove.
Sponsored