Sponsored

Safety Sense & Automatic Car Wash?

bigd9247

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Has anyone taken their Tacoma through an automatic car wash? If so, did you have to turn anything off in the Toyota safety sense settings?

Where I live, we have those automatic washes where you put your car in neutral and they guide you through on a conveyor. My fear is that I'm going to get half way in and the safety sense is going to lock up the brakes. The last thing I want is to stop and have the car behind me get pulled into me.

And for the record, yes I realize automatic washes aren't great for the paint... but neither are the bushes and branches that drag down the side while on forest service roads.
Sponsored

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
I do it a couple times a week. No issues. Yes it beeps as if you are going to hit something but it doesn’t stop the truck.

APKurt

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road in Celestial Silver
You can silent the alarms by tapping the little speaker icon on the safety sense screen while you go through the carwash.

dvrgz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Long Bed
mute as soon as I enter. No problems.

Sponsored

Duck Amuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma TRD Off-Road/17 MINI Cooper Clubman S
You can silent the alarms by tapping the little speaker icon on the safety sense screen while you go through the carwash.
Is that in the main infotainment or the gauge cluster? Safety sense drives me NUTS when I'm offroad, I had no idea there was a mute.

Why the truck doesn't mute them automatically when in 4 low I don't know...

soupy1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR Long Bed
I think what the OP wants is to disable the collision avoidance system so that it won't hit the brakes in the middle of the car wash. I think that would be the Pre-Collision Braking System. From the manual it looks like the truck has to be moving at 3 or more MPH for that to be active. I would expect that the engine switch must also be on so it should not be an issue.

Edit: you can disable the Pre-Collision System (PCS) using the settings option on the multi-information display. It will turn back on the next time the engine switch is turned on.

Last edited:

Dataman

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 1st Gen Toyota Tacoma
Glad there's a mute option! I take my "Blue Bayou" to Quick Quack car wash about once a week. Otherwise, my truck will get very dirty as I'm too busy to take time out to wash it! Disabling the PCS is a good option too if its not to involved.

Sponsored

ProjektZero

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma (4th gen)
Oh I use a touch less wash. The sprayers still cause the sensors to go off though
Sponsored