OP

tacogarage

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd and 2nd Gen Taco
Does anyone know if the Icon top hat reinforcement plates fit on a Pro - or if they are needed?
They have better shocks but I think they have the same top hat, would you be able to snap a picture of the top of the shock mount?
Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
They have better shocks but I think they have the same top hat, would you be able to snap a picture of the top of the shock mount?
Next week when it is delivered. :)

I think that you are right about the top hat being the same, so I may play it safe and get the Icon plate. Even with the Fox shocks I am guessing that it would be good insurance.

Toyota really needs to address this issue, and soon.

Last edited:

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Hey @Gfenza89. Loving my truck. I have been driving trucks since working on farms as a kid and this is the nicest truck I have ever driven. I think that means I might be past liking it. :)

What I think is so cool with the 4th gen is that a lot of what I like is in every trim and they are all stand out trucks from my POV.

Sponsored

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Hey @Gfenza89. Loving my truck. I have been driving trucks since working on farms as a kid and this is the nicest truck I have ever driven. I think that means I might be past liking it. :)

What I think is so cool with the 4th gen is that a lot of what I like is in every trim and they are all stand out trucks from my POV.
Thatā€™s great news man! Yeah very true I love my sr5 as well not many things I can complain about just that weird ā€œshudderā€ I get occasionally literally my only ā€œissueā€ doesnā€™t seem to get worse or happen more frequently so who knows Iā€™ll mention it at my first service. Happy to see you finally got your tacomašŸ‘

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
That looks like a different setup to me. I don't think the pros have that same shock mount from the looks of this picture.
That was what I was thinking too, although I have not yet looked closely at other trims. I will do that the next time I am at my dealer. I have not read about this failure in any THs or Pros so maybe I am OK.

If I can get a better picture I will post it.

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' RAV4 Hybrid Limited, '24 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
Thanks for sharing pics of the PRO setup. I don't think the mount is any different from other trims, but obviously the FOX shock is more robust than the Bilstein one (just based on all the promotional shots of the PRO doing jumps). I think the primary cause of the failures of the Bilstein is the cast aluminum top hat which is susceptible to fatigue over time. If I had to guess, I'd bet the Fox shock is forged steel.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@SonoranSurvivalist Yeah - I think you are right on all of that. I will try to get a picture with more direct light on the top hat for comparison, and I still haven't looked at an OR. The OR is a very capable off road truck and Toyota needs to fix that problem as soon as possible.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Here is a better picture of the Pro top hat. It looks like stamped steel to me, and not cast. Aren't the ones that are failing cast? Maybe I am just remembering that wrong. and obviously I'm still a bit confused. :)

I also attached a picture of the external rear bump stop on the Fox shocks.

ProTopHat.jpeg

ProRearBumpStop.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: