Sponsored

Tailgate Gap Issue

Nanoshade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
Check the back driver side bumper. There is also a significant gap compared to the opposite side. Looks as if the bumper hasn’t been properly bolted in.
Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@Quickreply1 Did you ever make any progress with getting your tailgate to fit? Not only are the gaps too wide on both sides, but it doesn't look like your tailgate is latching all the way.

I assume the width of the tailgates is pretty uniform, which would mean that the bed itself is out of square. It is interesting that the same thing is happening with Tundras built in a different factory.

All the panels fit perfectly on my Tundra, but it is 13 years old. I guess they really don't make them like they used to.

Viper_00

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD off road hybrid
There has to be a way to fix this from moving or at least minimize movement from side to side

. Any suggestions?

WDBGR

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
Any update on this? I should be picking up next week and want to be sure to check for QC issues. The dealer is going to hate me.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I have only had my Taco for a couple of weeks, and I have not paid a lot of attention to this. But there is a slight difference in gap from tailgate side to side. I have a panel gap meanuring tool and I will check it soon. I think mine is consistent though and does not vary. At this point I have been ignoring it, just like the hood vibration. which is there but so slight that I don't see it unless if try.

I'll also be interested to hear how other people are handling their tailgate gaps, and if there is a fix. I know some dealers are saying that it is what it is. I have seen people force their tailgates into the middle, but other people have said that eventually it just goes back.

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I measured my tailgate fit and it is better than I remembered and probably well within spec for a tailgate. I would still like to know if there is an adjustment procedure.

See attached image.

Tailgate Fit.jpeg

Viper_00

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD off road hybrid
So apparently there is no Toyota solution to the tailgate from sliding left and right according to my dealer. Before I picked up my truck I literally went to at least 10 brand new trucks and shook the tailgates. 8-10 were loose! Then driving away I saw a few 3rd gen’s on the road and they were off centered as well. I may try to wrap some electrical tape on the upper left latch and see if that prevents it from pivoting.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Mine fits good enough for me at the moment, but I know that some fit really poorly and it would be nice to know if there is a fix for keeping it in the center.

I think part of it is that we are expecting regular panel fit standards to apply to tailgates, which might not apply to a truck's tailgate. It is pouring rain at the moment but when I can open my garage door and open the tailgate I will look the latches and see if I can figure something out.
Sponsored