Sponsored

The most annoying thing in my Tacoma so far? The cupholders for driver/passenger.

cuechairo

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(TBD) 2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I don't understand what they were thinking with these cupholders. The tabs that secure a drink in the cupholder pivot in a direction that doesn't allow for them to move properly when trying to get a drink in. Included is a picture of the damage they do to a styrofoam cup. I'm left to wonder how many times can I insert and remove the cup before it makes a hole in it and my drink goes everywhere...

I have a couple ideas for a 3D printed mod that will address this issue...

I love almost everything else though :giggle:

PXL_20240402_192510540.jpg

PXL_20240402_192516301.jpg

PXL_20240402_192443844.jpg

PXL_20240402_192238946.jpg
Sponsored

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I'm guessing that orientation is because if it was hinged the opposite direction, there's a risk of a partially full cup being pushed out by it if it was light enough. But I've always been annoyed by Tacoma cup holder mechanisms. They just don't make them good for single-hand insertion of a cup. That being said, I've been driving Tacomas for 25+ years so I can't really compare to anything else... they may all be bad.

n118nw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco OR Premium
I don't understand what they were thinking with these cupholders. The tabs that secure a drink in the cupholder pivot in a direction that doesn't allow for them to move properly when trying to get a drink in. Included is a picture of the damage they do to a styrofoam cup. I'm left to wonder how many times can I insert and remove the cup before it makes a hole in it and my drink goes everywhere...

I have a couple ideas for a 3D printed mod that will address this issue...

I love almost everything else though :giggle:

PXL_20240402_192510540.jpg

PXL_20240402_192516301.jpg

PXL_20240402_192443844.jpg

PXL_20240402_192238946.jpg
I'm still new to 3D printing but I found out the hardway that PLA sucks when left in cars.. so what material is good for the summer heat, PETG? I haven't tried ABS or nylon yet because I don't have an enclosure

Sponsored

OP
OP

cuechairo

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(TBD) 2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I'm still new to 3D printing but I found out the hardway that PLA sucks when left in cars.. so what material is good for the summer heat, PETG? I haven't tried ABS or nylon yet because I don't have an enclosure
I am considering TPU (flexible) or ASA (good temperature performance), depending on how I want to make it. Might get some nylon to do a final product if I end up with a final design that I really like

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
ABS/ASA or PC/PCCF are probably your best bet. You shouldn't need an enclosure if you're printing very small objects. Just use the draft shield feature in your slicer. PCCF doesn't even need that most of the time.

OP
OP

cuechairo

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(TBD) 2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Why not just get a reusable cup that fits in there well? Seems a lot easier than 3D printing new parts.
Because that would depend on me keeping a clean cup there at all times, and having to transfer liquids every time I get something at a drive through or gas station. A 3D printed part would (ideally) work for all situations. Also, this is exactly why I bought a 3D printer 😂, I don't view it as work, it's a hobby

Sponsored

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
It's annoying getting those little hinges to even open up, I found myself spending way too long fondling my bottle trying to get it to slip down into the cupholder when driving. Not great when you're coming up on a light and need to shift lol.

Definitely not their best design.

AnotherRandomWhiteGuy

First Name
Another
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 2001
Because that would depend on me keeping a clean cup there at all times, and having to transfer liquids every time I get something at a drive through or gas station. A 3D printed part would (ideally) work for all situations. Also, this is exactly why I bought a 3D printer 😂, I don't view it as work, it's a hobby
You just carry it into a gas station or hand it to them and ask them to fill it. I've never had a problem doing that. It's pretty simple. I hate cheap crappy throw wake cups and use my own most of the time. If washing a single cup is an issue for you then I don't know what to tell you man.... Buy a sponge and some soap?

Sounds like you're just stoked on 3D printing, in which case probably a cool project.

OP
OP

cuechairo

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(TBD) 2024 Tacoma TRD OR
You just carry it into a gas station or hand it to them and ask them to fill it. I've never had a problem doing that. It's pretty simple. I hate cheap crappy throw wake cups and use my own most of the time. If washing a single cup is an issue for you then I don't know what to tell you man.... Buy a sponge and some soap?

Sounds like you're just stoked on 3D printing, in which case probably a cool project.
Awesome, sounds like you have a solution that works for you!
Sponsored