Traction or Recovery Pads

Zanez

First Name
Zane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD off road
Don't know much about recovery boards. Looking at Cali Raised Led boards. Appreciate any input.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Zanez

First Name
Zane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I live in the middle of Idaho and think kids buy them to make their trucks look cool.

But a shovel.
I live on the ocean and spend a lot of time in the sand and I have a shovel. Just looking for someone that knows something about traction pads

taco4moro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD ORP
invaluable piece of recovery gear and popular for a reason, relatively cheap and convenient before needing to winch yourself or be tugged out if stuck.

you could spend a lot of money to get a name brand recovery board or you could go to the home improvement store and spend $50 on wood to make your own, personal preference.

i'm sure you can find some boards for dirt cheap on fb market like i did

Sponsored

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
I live on the ocean and spend a lot of time in the sand and I have a shovel. Just looking for someone that knows something about traction pads
My experience in the sands of California is this. If you can afford the $300 boards they are better built and more durable then the $100 Amazon. I once saw a set of $100 boards get totally trashed in one use at the imperial sand dunes from someone drunk spinning like crazy on them they were borrowed and the dude that lent them was pissed. Recovery boards can be extremely helpful to get you out of a jam. All the cool “kids” use them. I have seen many Boomers using them as well. Why not have an extra piece of kit along side your shovel to help get unstuck. I had metal folding traction pads in my trucks 25 years ago. I am just a 43 year old kid just trying not to be stuck out in BFE.

OP
OP

Zanez

First Name
Zane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My experience in the sands of California is this. If you can afford the $300 boards they are better built and more durable then the $100 Amazon. I once saw a set of $100 boards get totally trashed in one use at the imperial sand dunes from someone drunk spinning like crazy on them they were borrowed and the dude that lent them was pissed. Recovery boards can be extremely helpful to get you out of a jam. All the cool “kids” use them. I have seen many Boomers using them as well. Why not have an extra piece of kit along side your shovel to help get unstuck. I had metal folding traction pads in my trucks 25 years ago. I am just a 43 year old kid just trying not to be stuck out in BFE.
Perfect! That's a great answer. Thank you.

PUMPKINKING

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off-Road Tacoma Solar Octane
I work on a farm and drive skid steer (tank tracks) and 4WD machines every day and we still get stuck on the regular and the only reason why I haven't had to use recovery boards is because I have access to other off road machines for recovery.

IMO having recovery boards with you is invaluable when going off road because you cannot count on somebody else to help recover your vehicle if it gets stuck.

I have recovery boards made by X-Bull (acceptable quality at an affordable price) and I plan on picking up a set of Maxtrax (premium quality @ premium price).

OP
OP

Zanez

First Name
Zane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I work on a farm and drive skid steer (tank tracks) and 4WD machines every day and we still get stuck on the regular and the only reason why I haven't had to use recovery boards is because I have access to other off road machines for recovery.

IMO having recovery boards with you is invaluable when going off road because you cannot count on somebody else to help recover your vehicle if it gets stuck.

I have recovery boards made by X-Bull (acceptable quality at an affordable price) and I plan on picking up a set of Maxtrax (premium quality @ premium price).
Thanks. I'm looking at the max traks

RESQCAT

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Grand Cherokee... Tacoma on order
I am a Search and Rescue Technician with 20 years of experience. I have both miltary and civilian offroading in all kinds of terrain for another 24 years prior to that. I have been stuck on a number of occasions where I needed help to get unstuck.

These last years I use Maxtrax or Tred Pro as do most of my colleagues. We occassionally get stuck in mud or deep snow, and only rarely in sand as I am in WA State outside Seattle. So while we do not use them often, when we do they are extremely useful to get unstuck quickly. Yes, we have winches too, but generally only need a board or two. Some may buy them to look cool, we buy them to get home.

Sponsored

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
I live in the middle of Idaho and think kids buy them to make their trucks look cool.

But a shovel.
Does AARP give a AAA discount? Or you get the senior citizen rate? Everyone needs a lil help sometimes. If you were stuck and struggling with only a shovel would you not let a kid with traction recovery boards give you a helpful hand. Old farts stuck in the past. Wisdom with age is not always the case.

Sagebrush

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
Does AARP give a AAA discount? Or you get the senior citizen rate? Everyone needs a lil help sometimes. If you were stuck and struggling with only a shovel would you not let a kid with traction recovery boards give you a helpful hand. Old farts stuck in the past. Wisdom with age is not always the case.
Why this shit?
Sponsored