Sponsored

parker17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 TRD OFF-Road
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to make a post about my TrailHunter build since I was looking for a lot of information while I was waiting for mine. So here’s 4 things I did this weekend and I think all I’m going to do.

- 17” Method 703 Bead Grip rims with FALKEN Wildpeak AT4Ws (285/70R17)
- Smart Cap Sport
- Decked System
- 20% Ceramic Window Tint

I haven’t gotten much driving in since I’ve done any of these mods, so don’t have data on MPG, but cabin noise is minimal with the new tires and the ride is just as smooth.

The Decked system is great, but it defintely takes up a lot of the bed. It also definitely makes it difficult to access the compressor, but it should still be do able. With the smart cap on top of the Decked, I have more than enough bed space and it’ll be nice to be able to leave things locked in the bed. The digital rear view mirror also still works fine with no modification which surprised me.

Let me know if you guys have any questions, I’m happy to do my best to answer them when I have time.

Cheers

IMG_1578.jpg

IMG_1577.jpeg

IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_1582.jpeg

IMG_1581.jpeg

IMG_1547.jpeg

IMG_1546.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Moundman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Camry (a beater!) / 2024 Trailhunter
Looks great so far. Excited to watch this. You have a lot of the stuff I was going to do but then I changed my build plans. I'll have to start my thread also.

tnjwinters

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
The access for the air compressor looks very tight. Did you order the Decked YT9? I’m concerned as I’m hoping to have my TH in about 6 weeks and the Decked was going to be one of the first thing I was going to add. Can you post a few closeups of the power and compressor side access as well as the open space between the drawer and the tailgate. Beautiful build by the way.

Sponsored

Xencer

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 4X4
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to make a post about my TrailHunter build since I was looking for a lot of information while I was waiting for mine. So here’s 4 things I did this weekend and I think all I’m going to do.

- Smart Cap Sport
- Decked System

I haven’t gotten much driving in since I’ve done any of these mods, so don’t have data on MPG, but cabin noise is minimal with the new tires and the ride is just as smooth.

The Decked system is great, but it defintely takes up a lot of the bed. It also definitely makes it difficult to access the compressor, but it should still be do able. With the smart cap on top of the Decked, I have more than enough bed space and it’ll be nice to be able to leave things locked in the bed. The digital rear view mirror also still works fine with no modification which surprised me.

Let me know if you guys have any questions, I’m happy to do my best to answer them when I have time.

Also, I’m now selling 4 Bronze TrailHunter rims (450 miles total) as well as the factory ARB BED BAR. Let me know if you’re interested.

Cheers

IMG_1578.jpg

IMG_1577.jpeg

IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_1582.jpeg

IMG_1581.jpeg

IMG_1547.jpeg

IMG_1546.jpeg
Drool, thats the setup I want. I'm not sure if I want an ARE fiberglass or a smartcap.. hmm

OHTacoCamper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Off Road
Nice setup! I did the same with my TRD ORP (decked, Smart Cap, and Topper EZLift Nomad Package)) I actually went out camping last weekend with my wife and we loved the setup. Got some tweaks to make but I'm definitely looking forward to camping out of my truck.

IMG_0943.jpeg

IMG_7812.jpeg

IMG_0942.jpeg

IMG_7808.jpeg

IMG_7811.jpeg

Last edited:

OHTacoCamper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Off Road
Hey Everyone,

- Smart Cap Sport
- Decked System

Also, I’m now selling 4 Bronze TrailHunter rims (450 miles total) as well as the factory ARB BED BAR. Let me know if you’re interested.

Cheers

IMG_1578.jpg

IMG_1577.jpeg

IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_1582.jpeg

IMG_1581.jpeg

IMG_1547.jpeg

IMG_1546.jpeg
Have you connected the Smart Cap brake light yet? If not, I highly recommend using the 1.25 or 1.5 in hole saw that the Smart Cap Install video uses. It is WAY easier and cleaner. I made the mistake of trying to use the drill bits in the instruction manual, and now I have a hole to fix. :)

SAR Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Trailhunter
I'm looking at a very similar build myself for search and rescue. I also have a similar question as @tnjwinters above about if you ordered the power accessory bed version. From reading the instructions on that I was lead to believe that the access to the air compressor interface and power outlets were fine (just switching the lid upside down and reattaching with magnets).

How do you like your cap? It looks amazing. I'm surprised that your digital rearview mirror works still as I thought this used the camera near the third break light. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sponsored
OP
OP

parker17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 TRD OFF-Road
The access for the air compressor looks very tight. Did you order the Decked YT9? I’m concerned as I’m hoping to have my TH in about 6 weeks and the Decked was going to be one of the first thing I was going to add. Can you post a few closeups of the power and compressor side access as well as the open space between the drawer and the tailgate. Beautiful build by the way.
I can take and post some photos later, but for now, here's a link to the one I ordered. It looks like they did specifically add a cutout for the compressor, but I haven't tried using it since I installed the drawer system so I don't know just how annoying it will be.

https://decked.com/products/drawers

It was the "YT9"

OP
OP

parker17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 TRD OFF-Road
I'm looking at a very similar build myself for search and rescue. I also have a similar question as @tnjwinters above about if you ordered the power accessory bed version. From reading the instructions on that I was lead to believe that the access to the air compressor interface and power outlets were fine (just switching the lid upside down and reattaching with magnets).

How do you like your cap? It looks amazing. I'm surprised that your digital rearview mirror works still as I thought this used the camera near the third break light. Maybe I'm wrong.
I spoke too soon about the rear view mirror camera working well. It's actually too high up so you can't see very far behind the truck, meaning you can see cars about like 20 feet away but beyond that you're just looking at the road. Will definitely need to get an aux camera ordered and attached to the back of the cap near the brake light.

For the compressor, I was so annoyed after having done everything that I didn't even want to deal with flipping the door so I actually just took the door itself off and decided since it's covered by a cap it will be fine. I'm debating whether or not I should put something over it to cover the screen, but for now I'm not worried about it.

OP
OP

parker17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 TRD OFF-Road
Drool, thats the setup I want. I'm not sure if I want an ARE fiberglass or a smartcap.. hmm
If you're going to order a Smart Cap, which I'd recommend over the fiberglass because it's so easy to take off and put on, you should order it soon. I ordered mine in March and got delivery in the end of July.

OP
OP

parker17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 TRD OFF-Road
Nice setup! I did the same with my TRD ORP (decked, Smart Cap, and Topper EZLift Nomad Package)) I actually went out camping last weekend with my wife and we loved the setup. Got some tweaks to make but I'm definitely looking forward to camping out of my truck.

IMG_0943.jpeg

IMG_7812.jpeg

IMG_0942.jpeg

IMG_7808.jpeg

IMG_7811.jpeg
How did you address the height difference between the decked system and the tailgate? Like how did you make it all one height so that you have more room to sleep? That's my number one issue right now. Also, how was the head space while sleeping, did you feel claustrophobic at all? Sweet setup!

OHTacoCamper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Off Road
I spoke too soon about the rear view mirror camera working well. It's actually too high up so you can't see very far behind the truck, meaning you can see cars about like 20 feet away but beyond that you're just looking at the road. Will definitely need to get an aux camera ordered and attached to the back of the cap near the brake light.

For the compressor, I was so annoyed after having done everything that I didn't even want to deal with flipping the door so I actually just took the door itself off and decided since it's covered by a cap it will be fine. I'm debating whether or not I should put something over it to cover the screen, but for now I'm not worried about it.

I agree the digital rear view camera is ok, but a lot of your view is reduced compared to when no cap is on the bed. I actually use the regular mirror now and can see pretty well cars that are close and far behind me. I saw a while back a rear-view camera re-location kit for the Tundra that would enable you to put your bed/rear-view cameras in the back of the cap to retain all previous functionality. I won't be doing that because it looked like a lot of work removing the headliner in the cab to access the cameras to move them.
Sponsored