Sponsored

Tacohunter2024

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4 Prime → '24 TRD OR or Sport
Our concerns are not a generalized fear around whether this truck is dependable. It’s focused on this TSB. Even if we are prepared to get ourselves back if we get stuck, we may not want the headache of it knowing we’re on this TSB list. I have a family and younger kids. I don’t want to mess with that. And with a new toyota I really shouldn’t even have to give it a thought.
I pay the "Toyota Tax" to avoid nonsense like this. If Toyota is going to be like every other car maker, they should be priced accordingly.
Sponsored

MayburyKyle

First Name
kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 TRD Pro 4Runner
I have a Tacoma ordered/reserved that has been sitting in New Jersey for 3 weeks now. I've been getting cold feet, this post may have pushed me to that point. Would it be an overreaction to cancel at this point and wait for the 2025s? The VIN isn't within the TSB range, but it sure does seem like it's within reason that it could be a month from now.
I am in the same exact boat waiting on an allocated underground trd pro !

Tacohunter2024

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4 Prime → '24 TRD OR or Sport
I am in the same exact boat waiting on an allocated underground trd pro !
What are you thinking? Are you going to stick with it? Or drop it and give them some time to sort it out? I'm leaning towards dropping it, but seeing if they offer another $1,000 off on the way out the door 🙂

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@MayburyKyle and @Tacohunter2024 I just thought about this the other day. The TSB was out but my truck was not yet on it when I bought my Pro. But I went for it and I have zero regrets. It is an amazing truck and even if it needs a new transmission I and still happy just to have this beautiful truck. The last time I check Toyota inventory I found only one Pro in 500 miles and it was only for sale because it had a $10k markup. I wouldn't look for any deals on the halo models any time soon.

BTW my truck, like most 4th gens is perfect so far, and I would never pass up the chance to own this truck just because there is some chance I could have a problem. There is always some chance you could have a problem with any vehicle and it is a Toyota and they will take care of you.

Of course your mileage may vary and we each have to make our own choices.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Things have gone downhill quickly on my Taco. It was fine until about 500 miles but in the last 100 miles it has started to shift like shit, particularly at low speeds and when first starting. I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised since I am withing the fucked transmission TSB, but as long as it shifted fine I could pretend it was OK.

I just hope I don't end up like @Gfenza89 with a crap transmission that doesn't die. Toyota has decided that Yugo shift quality is actually fine as long as our trucks will still move. Now I get to start hoping it goes tits up and sooner rather than later.

It is jumping right in with a range of the crap that other people have reported, like delayed shifts, and rough shifts that feel like a rumble strip that isn't there. Sometimes after the delay it jumps into gear like I hit something on the road. That seems to happen the most often from 1st to 2nd. It has come on quickly, so fingers crossed it will just go ahead and die.

Sponsored

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Things have gone downhill quickly on my Taco. It was fine until about 500 miles but in the last 100 miles it has started to shift like shit, particularly at low speeds and when first starting. I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised since I am withing the fucked transmission TSB, but as long as it shifted fine I could pretend it was OK.

I just hope I don't end up like @Gfenza89 with a crap transmission that doesn't die. Toyota has decided that Yugo shift quality is actually fine as long as our trucks will still move. Now I get to start hoping it goes tits up and sooner rather than later.

It is jumping right in with a range of the crap that other people have reported, like delayed shifts, and rough shifts that feel like a rumble strip that isn't there. Sometimes after the delay it jumps into gear like I hit something on the road. That seems to happen the most often from 1st to 2nd. It has come on quickly, so fingers crossed it will just go ahead and die.
Wow sorry to hear that, welcome to the club. Right around the same miles when mine started acting up. Absolute bullshit from Toyota. Drive slowly in a parking lot and you’ll feel the truck bucking and jerking …. Good job Toyota thanks for leaving us in the dark. For you guys that paid trd pro prices it’s even more of insult to you guys with that big money. Call Toyota and voice your concerns !

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Call Toyota and voice your concerns !
I will do that, but I don't expect a brand engagement moron to do anything for me. Their job is dispense pretend sympathy, while Toyota treats customers like they have treated you. The best option for all of us is to hope these suckers outright die.

I guess it is worse in a halo, but honestly any Tacoma from an SR up should shift properly, not just the expensive ones. And the story that any Toyota that shifts like that is normal is such a lie that it really pissed me off, even before I got involved in this cluster.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
I will do that, but I don't expect a brand engagement moron to do anything for me. Their job is dispense pretend sympathy, while Toyota treats customers like they have treated you. The best option for all of us is to hope these suckers outright die.

I guess it is worse in a halo, but honestly any Tacoma from an SR up should shift properly, not just the expensive ones. And the story that any Toyota that shifts like that is normal is such a lie that it really pissed me off, even before I got involved in this cluster.
Yup but by calling it does get sent to corporate and documented. I don’t know I’m pretty pissed off about this whole mess. If there business model is to completely fuck over us guys in this tsb range and tell us yeah just drive your brand new truck that shifts like horse shit and suck it up, oh and if it last through the warranty period and then breaks that’s your problem…. Phew I’ll loose my fucking mind

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Yeah @Gfenza89 I can't argue with any of that. I understand that this stuff happens and I trust my dealer to replace the transmission if it fails. But telling us that our new trucks can shift like shit and that is normal blows my mind. I always thought that Toyota was better than that.

But while unloading stuff I brought home from a nursery today, it was sitting in the sun and looking beautiful and I still love the truck. But not if it is going to drive like it has the last couple of days. Like everyone else I will just have to hang on and see what happens.

The problem came along fast and that makes me hope it will completely fail just as fast. This is the first new Toyota that I have loved while also wanting it to die.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Yeah @Gfenza89 I can't argue with any of that. I understand that this stuff happens and I trust my dealer to replace the transmission if it fails. But telling us that our new trucks can shift like shit and that is normal blows my mind. I always thought that Toyota was better than that.

But while unloading stuff I brought home from a nursery today, it was sitting in the sun and looking beautiful and I still love the truck. But not if it is going to drive like it has the last couple of days. Like everyone else I will just have to hang on and see what happens.
Good luck, hope it fails on you soon. I can’t wait for mine to fail, my gosh what a strange conversation to be having after buying the legendary reliable Toyota Tacoma, these are trucks with less then 3k miles!
The problem came along fast and that makes me hope it will completely fail just as fast. This is the first new Toyota that I have loved while also wanting it to die.

Sponsored

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5

Strange conversation to be having on a brand new Toyota truck, wishing and waiting for our transmissions to fail and now have to wonder how far to take your brand new truck away from home….

vtdano

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6-speed manual
Seeing that the hybrid is included, but I don't see anything that specifically says that the 6-speed manual trans is included? My vin is in the lower so the TSB tool on another post stated that I fall under it. Finding clarification is a tough one.

MayburyKyle

First Name
kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 TRD Pro 4Runner

This has me leaning towards waiting on it. I have already put down a $500 deposit and waiting on it to be shipped. I have a 2020 Trd pro 4runner and being that’s it’s almost winter and I do make long drives from Iowa to VA has me very cautious on getting the Tacoma. I don’t want to be stranded 1000 miles away from home bc my brand new trucks trans took a shit. Really thinking about backing out of it. I don’t see anything the dealership is going to do, and I don’t want to be driving around with a trans that shifts like shit or that can potentially take a shit. Then they won’t do shit until it’s all the way broken throwing codes. I am going to call the salesman tm and see what he has to say. I have a feeling I am going to get fucked if I get the Tacoma. My luck is bad
Sponsored