Undercoating or not (for Northeast)?

Scooby

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
Has anyone gotten their Tacoma undercoated or plan on getting it done? This is my first Toyota and have never gotten it done on any of my other vehicles. A bunch of people told me I should get it done. I live in the Northeast where we get a decent amount of snow. Should I get it undercoated?
Sponsored

Tom Sellick

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro
Has anyone gotten their Tacoma undercoated or plan on getting it done? This is my first Toyota and have never gotten it done on any of my other vehicles. A bunch of people told me I should get it done. I live in the Northeast where we get a decent amount of snow. Should I get it undercoated?
I’m going to. I’ve always had my vehicles undercoated due to the amount of salt on our roads in winter.

OP
OP

Scooby

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
I’m going to. I’ve always had my vehicles undercoated due to the amount of salt on our roads in winter.
I called around, and was told there are different types of undercoatings. One guy told me the two popular types are a wax based and the other an oil based undercoating. I was told the wax lasts the truck's lifetime while the oil based has to be reapplied every year or two. Which do you get? I'm new to undercoating and don't know much about it.

Tom Sellick

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro
I called around, and was told there are different types of undercoatings. One guy told me the two popular types are a wax based and the other an oil based undercoating. I was told the wax lasts the truck's lifetime while the oil based has to be reapplied every year or two. Which do you get? I'm new to undercoating and don't know much about it.
I can’t pretend to be an expert but I go to Krown. I think it’s petroleum based which allows it to flow into tight spaces etc. it’s worked for me.

Sponsored

Airborne

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 4runner
This is a good idea , living in the north east we have a lot of salt on roads in winter, as well as brine solution, new england winters are messy. Planning my 2025 i will be doing an undercoat and im leaning on the wax procedure , im in Hudson valley / catskills and will be searcing for this service, i keep my trucks 10 years and would like to take care of the frame and under vehicle

Hannzie

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I had mine sprayed with Fluid Film last week. I’m in Canada so I needed some sort of undercoating. I was told by multi mechanics that this is the way to go. It creeps but also sticks well and safe on everything. It’s more expensive then oil so not a lot of places use it but seems much better then oil based.

Vidman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tundra,1967 chevelle, 1972 c-10 pro street
I used fluid film on my tundra for the first 5 years I had it. Frame looked great stoped using it and now trading it in for my TH and all the dealers said that the undercarriage looked great..so I will be doing the same to my taco

FlyAngler

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Super White Tacoma Sport AT DC SB
I'm also in the Northeast. My current Tacoma is 7.5 years old. No undercoating. Doing fine. Someone had recommended the undercoating to me when I first bought the truck new. I'm happy with my decision. Never had a repair or problem that could have been prevented. I usually keep my vehicles 10 years, though I'm breaking that this time because I want a TH. :cool: Will be selling my current truck if my TH ever actually gets on the ship in Veracruz. Been sitting there for a while now with no hold. Soon, I hope!

Quick edit to add: I would also consider the cost of the undercoating against the potential repairs that it could prevent. I'm happy "self-insuring" and assuming any potential risk on this one.

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
My 2013 Tundra made it through 10 Maine winters, but it showed. Mechanically, it was sound; however, the bolt heads and nuts would disintegrate, and I’d spend 75% of the time working on just one or two bolts. The truck was great, and a friend is now enjoying it, but without a lift, it became too much to manage.

I bought a Fluid Film bundle from Amazon—six cans and a wand—and I'll apply it as soon as I get another truck. I'm also keeping the lower spoiler installed since it will add a bit more protection.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Scooby

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
I got quoted $650 for the wax based stuff that will last the life of the truck. Seems like a good deal if it does last that long. I also got quoted $2000 for something similar from a different business.

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
I live in upstate NY. Get it done. 100

nyydynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR5
Sounds like its a mixed review. Some say yes, some say no. So basically, just do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Personally, I've lived in NY my entire life and never got any car or truck undercoated nor did anyone I know. No one, including myself, has ever had any issues so I'll continue to skip it. That being said, getting it done doesn't sound like a bad idea. Better to be safe because salt is a mofo.
Sponsored