Sponsored

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Keep in mind that you are compromising frontal crash safety by removing the OEM crash pads. They are designed to deflect the heavy wheel/tire out of the cabin in a frontal collision.

2024 Tacoma *UPDATE* - 285/17/R18 BF Goodrich KO3 tires on stock Trailhunter - before & after photos 1729901535057-y5

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
Keep in mind that you are compromising frontal crash safety by removing the OEM crash pads. They are designed to deflect the heavy wheel/tire out of the cabin in a frontal collision.

1729901535057-y5.jpg
That’s why I’m doing 285/70/18 and calling it a day, even if there’s a tiny bit of rub. I’m not comfortable removing the crash pads.

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
10/25 - UPDATE:

So after driving in multiple roadway conditions, I have some findings to report. When turning full lock on a hill (up or down) I notice that there is a tiny bit of rubbing, but it sounds like it's hitting felt and not plastic. Also, I noticed that when in reverse, at full turn, there is some kind of vibration, but I need to investigate further with the help of an additional person. I will report my findings next week. I still don't plan on trimming anything, as I'd like to go a few hundred more miles so the location of the slight rubbing is more apparent b/c right now, everything still looks clean.

Another user brought up a good point, if I would want to add snow chains, I would definitely need more clearance. So in the future, I think I will look into an additional lift to provide that.

Lastly, these tires effect mpg greatly in a hilly city environment. I work in downtown Seattle and almost every street is on a hill. The MPG tanked down to 13 mpg when driving in the city, but once I was able to hit highway speeds, it went back up to it's normal range. I noticed that the additional weight makes the truck slow down quite a bit faster. Prior to the KO3 install, on flat ground, I was able to go 60 mph and stay off the gas for a few before giving it extra juice. AFTER the new tires, I noticed that speeds decrease IMMEDIATLY once you let off the gas. This could be due to the fact that they're new and they still need to break in, but I will report back in a few hundred miles if there is any change.

Thanks! Stay tuned!

*Original Post*

Figured I'd update ya'll on fitting 285's on stock Trailhunter wheels. Chris and TJ @Discount Tire in Seattle really took care of this install. No rubbing so far, might remove the crash pad after I take it out on some rough terrain to test any contact. I forsee having to get some aftermarket mud flaps....the OEM ones don't offer much coverage.

BFGoodrich
All Terrain T/A KO3
LT285 /70 R18 127S E1 RWL

BEFORE:

Image20241024091533.jpg

AFTER:

Image20241024091542.jpg

Image20241024091545.jpg
Image20241024091547.jpg

I was about to ask for an update! Thanks. A little bummed by the drop in MPG. Makes me wonder why more tire companies don’t have more C load options!
Sponsored