Sponsored

Vehicle Alerts: Check Engine, Drive Start Control System, Advanced Ultrasonic Detecting and Ranging System

punkard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
Well, I was hoping to post a happier "yay I got my Taco" post and all is well, but alas..

Picked up a brand new Sport Premium from the dealer, drove it about 7km before the truck essentially lost drive and the errors in the title started flashing on the dash at me. Was able to limp it back to the dealer and am awaiting a cause. Wondering if it's related to this issue as the truck had only 5km on the odometer before I drove it off the lot.

I am frustrated that I don't have the truck, but not going to point fingers or get angry until the issue has been figured out, just needed a place to put my words down and hopefully give others some important info once it is resolved.

First edit:
Just got off the phone with the dealership. Looks like the transmission got stuck in 6th gear and overheated everything. Makes sense why I felt there was no drive as it was trying to start from park in 6th gear. Looking like they'll have to replace the transmission.

Second edit:
Dealer/Toyota will be replacing the transmission. ETA 3 weeks (ish)

Third edit:
Received the truck back on Aug 23 after a full transmission replacement. Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sagebrush

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
I doubt it’s the shutter issue. I think Toyota has addressed the issue.
But we shall see…

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
Well, I was hoping to post a happier "yay I got my Taco" post and all is well, but alas..

Picked up a brand new Sport Premium from the dealer, drove it about 7km before the truck essentially lost drive and the errors in the title started flashing on the dash at me. Was able to limp it back to the dealer and am awaiting a cause. Wondering if it's related to this issue as the truck had only 5km on the odometer before I drove it off the lot.

I am frustrated that I don't have the truck, but not going to point fingers or get angry until the issue has been figured out, just needed a place to put my words down and hopefully give others some important info once it is resolved.

First edit:
Just got off the phone with the dealership. Looks like the transmission got stuck in 6th gear and overheated everything. Makes sense why I felt there was no drive as it was trying to start from park in 6th gear. Looking like they'll have to replace the transmission.
A lot of transmission problems going around. Sorry to hear that brotha. Def a rough spot to be in

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Sorry to hear about your transmission. You might have a new record for failure at 7 km, but there have been more transmission failures than a lot of us find acceptable. I do think Toyota will take care of you, but having a brand new truck die sucks.

Good luck and keep us posted as things develop.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Tsb is out already addressing the Manuel transmission failures. A tsb will be coming for these automatics soon. Something isn’t right. To many are failing even though the number may be small it’s still to many

Sponsored

Burgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Taco
Does anyone know the actual cause of the transmission failures? It seems like they all have the same symptoms which appear to be rough shifts followed by the truck being stuck in 6th gear. People can shift between 6-8th gear but not below.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
When I first saw the failing transmissions I did some reading on the reliability to Aisin transmissions. Overall they are very good but there are obviously problems, as the 4th gen in proving.

A lot of failures are related to the oil pump and the valve body. Something about the pump can lead to valve body failures, and the valve body controls shifting. I also saw problems with solenoids, which can cause rough shifts, another issue people report in the 4th gen.

I also think there will have to be either a TSB or even a recall eventually to deal with this. I watched Hyundai DCT failures and at first they were dealt with on a case by case basis. Eventually Hyundai found the cause and did a recall on all of the vehicles that they thought were at risk. I kind of think that we are heading to the same place here, and since I finally having an allocation I am getting more concerned.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
When I first saw the failing transmissions I did some reading on the reliability to Aisin transmissions. Overall they are very good but there are obviously problems, as the 4th gen in proving.

A lot of failures are related to the oil pump and the valve body. Something about the pump can lead to valve body failures, and the valve body controls shifting. I also saw problems with solenoids, which can cause rough shifts, another issue people report in the 4th gen.

I also think there will have to be either a TSB or even a recall eventually to deal with this. I watched Hyundai DCT failures and at first they were dealt with on a case by case basis. Eventually Hyundai found the cause and did a recall on all of the vehicles that they thought were at risk. I kind of think that we are heading to the same place here, and since I finally having an allocation I am getting more concerned.
I wouldn’t get too nervous, you have a warranty just let Toyota fix it. They are great at working the kinks out of their vehicles

Sagebrush

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
I’m sure Toyota has a team on this and probably has the fix. It’s how they deal with new releases.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Totally agree @Gfenza89 and @Sagebrush. I am not nearly ready to bail and after owning many Toyota products I trust them to take care of any problems that I do have.

I still think there are more tranny failures than I ever expected and I will be interested to see how Toyota handles this.

Sponsored
OP
OP

punkard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
Tsb is out already addressing the Manuel transmission failures. A tsb will be coming for these automatics soon. Something isn’t right. To many are failing even though the number may be small it’s still to many
I'm new to Toyota land (coming from a very well used 02 XTerra (rip)) what does TSB stand for?

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Technical Service Bulletin. It is not a recall and they will not notify you about this, but if you come in with the problem there will already be plan to handle it all under warranty.

OP
OP

punkard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
Sorry to hear about your transmission. You might have a new record for failure at 7 km, but there have been more transmission failures than a lot of us find acceptable. I do think Toyota will take care of you, but having a brand new truck die sucks.

Good luck and keep us posted as things develop.
Honestly, I think it was dead almost immediately after driving off the lot. I thought I was battling some traffic sense feature I had to turn off at first since I was in stop and go traffic. The dealer have me in a rental for the time being, although I don't have a timeline yet as they're dealing with Toyota Canada to resolve this.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Honestly, I think it was dead almost immediately after driving off the lot. I thought I was battling some traffic sense feature I had to turn off at first since I was in stop and go traffic. The dealer have me in a rental for the time being, although I don't have a timeline yet as they're dealing with Toyota Canada to resolve this.
Are you positive it’s not in some safety driving mode? I thought my truck was dropping out of gear and that I had transmission failure and it ended up being some safety sense feature where the truck will apply the brakes and keep you safe distances in stop and go traffic. I turned it off then it was fine
Sponsored