Sponsored

G-Note

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota Camry
I hope those fender flares are painted as opposed to gloss plastic. Scratch magnet if they are plastic

Snkrjeff020

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi RS3
I was there, and pretty disappointed that they didn't let you inside the Pro and they didn't have any of the other trims there either. A really big let down as this was the only reason I wanted to attend the show. Ford also only had the base 2024 Ranger there, no other higher trims. Just a complete waste if you ask me.

Sponsored

bt_okst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor
Was leaning towards underground, but think I could live with this if I can get the black trd pro interior. Don't want if it has the red interior.

StreeTaco

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Pro gets gloss fenders and grille.

jcwls3

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S
I may be the only guy here who likes the high-gloss black painted flares. I think they tie in with the gloss black roof really well.

Agreed they’ll highlight swirl marks and scratches. PPF would be a good option as mentioned earlier — that or regular application of black detail spray. Then again… it’s a truck, not an Aston Martin. Let the thing look like it lives outside the garage every once in a while. :)

Lando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K1500 Silverado, Honda Accord, VW Gti
This will likely be in the $75,000 range in Canada. Before taxes. New car prices are crazy high, but I suppose there is enough people with the money to buy them.

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
I'd wrap in PPF either way.
The thing about PPF, is its the cost of a paint job. I got quotes from a few places in Missouri (services like this are cheaper down there) and it was going to be around 7k for the whole vehicle. Id rather just pay for paint when the day comes to sell it.

Sponsored

RaskyR1

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ram 1500, '91 Toyota MR2 Turbo, '22 Ducati
The thing about PPF, is its the cost of a paint job. I got quotes from a few places in Missouri (services like this are cheaper down there) and it was going to be around 7k for the whole vehicle. Id rather just pay for paint when the day comes to sell it.
FWIW, I own and operate my own detailing/PPF shop and I do hear this from people occasionally. My father has also been doing body work and painting for over 50+ years. Sure, you can run down to Maaco and get a cheap paint job, but that's exactly what it will look like. A quality job at a reputable shop would be closer to $12-15k. That means properly disassembled with no tape lines, no over spray, and properly denibbed, wet sanded/polished to match OEM texture (or better). Heck, I've seen paint jobs at my fathers shop where just the cost of paint and clear (cost to the shop) were $6500! Keep in mind that a repaint can effect resale value and anytime a car goes into a body shop it always opens a can of worms IME. Now with modern PPF your paint should stay free of chips and with proper washing it should stay swirl free too and it's warrantied for 10-12 years. It also helps protect against door dings in that you may get a ding, but it won't chip the paint. I've seen PPF'd cars that were keyed and the paint remained untouched. The below pics are of my wife's car where a piece of metal hit her car on the highway. While it dented the hood, it didn't puncture the film and was repaired for $75 via PDR. A repaint on that hood would have been $1000+ and the pearl white color is a PITA to match perfectly. The unprotected glass roof didn't fair as well though. That had a tiny nick/chip in it they eventually cracked and had to be replaced at the cost of $5500!

PPF isn't for everyone, but I assure you it cost a fraction of what a proper repaint costs. :)

2024 Tacoma TRD Pro 2024 Tacoma (Terra) from San Diego Auto Show S550 hood.JPG

2024 Tacoma TRD Pro 2024 Tacoma (Terra) from San Diego Auto Show S550 hood2.JPG

2024 Tacoma TRD Pro 2024 Tacoma (Terra) from San Diego Auto Show S550 hood1.JPG

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
FWIW, I own and operate my own detailing/PPF shop and I do hear this from people occasionally. My father has also been doing body work and painting for over 50+ years. Sure, you can run down to Maaco and get a cheap paint job, but that's exactly what it will look like. A quality job at a reputable shop would be closer to $12-15k. That means properly disassembled with no tape lines, no over spray, and properly denibbed, wet sanded/polished to match OEM texture (or better). Heck, I've seen paint jobs at my fathers shop where just the cost of paint and clear (cost to the shop) were $6500! Keep in mind that a repaint can effect resale value and anytime a car goes into a body shop it always opens a can of worms IME. Now with modern PPF your paint should stay free of chips and with proper washing it should stay swirl free too and it's warrantied for 10-12 years. It also helps protect against door dings in that you may get a ding, but it won't chip the paint. I've seen PPF'd cars that were keyed and the paint remained untouched. The below pics are of my wife's car where a piece of metal hit her car on the highway. While it dented the hood, it didn't puncture the film and was repaired for $75 via PDR. A repaint on that hood would have been $1000+ and the pearl white color is a PITA to match perfectly. The unprotected glass roof didn't fair as well though. That had a tiny nick/chip in it they eventually cracked and had to be replaced at the cost of $5500!

PPF isn't for everyone, but I assure you it cost a fraction of what a proper repaint costs. :)

S550 hood.JPG

S550 hood2.JPG

S550 hood1.JPG
For someone like myself who regularly has branches scratching the side of my truck, but also lives in the brutal Colorado dry air and intense sunshine, how would this stuff hold up. And does it leave an impossible to remove residue like a typical wrap would?

RaskyR1

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ram 1500, '91 Toyota MR2 Turbo, '22 Ducati
For someone like myself who regularly has branches scratching the side of my truck, but also lives in the brutal Colorado dry air and intense sunshine, how would this stuff hold up. And does it leave an impossible to remove residue like a typical wrap would?
Yeah. Unfortunately, trail rash would likely leave some marks/scuffs in the film that won't self-heal. It should keep the paint protected though, especially if you went with a 10 mil film.

The newer quality films have 10-12 year warranties depending on brand and should cover against yellowing, cracking, blistering, and delaminating. Removal is easy as long as it's done properly and the film isn't already past it's life expectancy. The adhesive should come up with the film but you need to use heat (Steam, hot water, sun, heat gun, ect.) and it needs to be pulled in the correct direction. You will have some small adhesive spots here an there, usually around wrapped edges but it comes off easy enough.

PPF technology has come a long way over the years. I used to hate the stuff as a detailer but started coming around to it when the self-healing films came out. I've been installing it about 5yrs now.

Here is a good video showing just how much of a beating PPF can take.

StreeTaco

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro

S550 hood.JPG

S550 hood2.JPG

S550 hood1.JPG
Hey Rasky, may I ask where your shop is located? Any special deals for a fellow 24 Taco holder?
Sponsored