Sponsored

Odd Engine Noise (2024 Manual TRD)

jdr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
2024 Manual Taco TRD Off-Road, about 550mi on it. Do any of your Tacos make this engine noise? (attached, bottom)

As far as I can remember the engine makes this noise since I took my Taco out of the dealer. It just took me a second to recognize it stood out and another second to figure out how to reliably reproduce it. It seems to be associated to a specific throttle position. It won't make the noise if I go too hard or too soft on the pedal. Here I'm parked in neutral but it will make the noise for longer, while driving in gear, if I keep the throttle at this specific "mid" position... roughly feels like 1/8 deep of the throttle travel. Hear it more in the lower gears, 1st and 2nd. Vaguely if at all in 3rd, and never really at full speed. Overall the car feels great. It doesn't feel like it lacks any power at all. I've been babying the engine ever since I got it, slowly breaking it in.

If I were to describe it verbally, it sounds like monkeys playing low key steel drums moving their hands at 1.5Khz...
It sounds like fluid flowing rapidly through a pipe when the volume doesn't fill the entire pipe...
It reminds me of my old car's idle air valve when I turned it on... but, I'm not sure this sounds electronic...

In the video, you can hear the slight knocking several times. It's there when it starts and sounds real clear between 00:01 - 00:02.

Do any of your Tacos make this noise?

Looking for some feedback before going back to the dealer to ask them to take a look.

Sponsored

26wx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Doesn't sound internal to the engine itself, but that's only guessing from the video. But I don't think that's a knock or anything.

I don't know enough about how the D4S system works, but could it be the throttle position you're passing is triggering the switch from the port injectors to the direct injectors? That bank of injectors sits right on top, I believe, so those sounds may just be more noticeable for this engine.

Hope someone smarter than me about this stuff chimes in.

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Yes same . For me its if i am driving in 1st or second gear with light throttle . . And once i press little throttle its stops . Also i noticed that in 1-2 nd gear i can actually hear gears shifting and clutch engaging

Reactions: jdr
OP
OP
jdr

jdr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Thanks for the couple of replies so far. If I wind up going to the dealer I'll update this post with their feedback.

Also i noticed that in 1-2 nd gear i can actually hear gears shifting and clutch engaging
I too can hear the gears shifting, in particular from 1st to 2nd. I usually drive with my windows down except the dead of winter... In general this transmission is pretty noisy if you listen to it closely while driving. But none of the particular transmission knocks or bumps I'm hearing sound concerning because, I've heard them in other cars before (manual ones at least). Years ago my dad owned a manual Mazda B3000 and the manual transmission made the same manner of noises as it operated.

This throttle rattle though, I think it's the 1st time I hear something like it in a car. Hopefully with a bit of time we'll learn what's normal with these new Tacos.

Readyalready

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Sr5 4x4
Could be the throw out bearing? I had a wrx that did that. Iā€™m coming terms with Toyota basically being Subaru quality ā˜¹

Sponsored

Kdbradley85

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR MT
I have basically the same truck as yours and maybe a couple hundred more miles on it, but I saw your post and went to check and to listen for a similar type of noise. It's hard to tell if mine sounds the same as what I'm hearing in your video, but I have noticed that this motor and transmission are just noisy in general (not in a bad way, just that it seems like you can hear every moving component within the motor and transmission). Sorry, I know that's not super helpful! Shifts on my third gen were loud too, but this one feels even about bit louder. With all the negativity cycling on the internet surrounding Toyota right now, I've been feeling a little anxious. I did a break-in oil change on Saturday with no issues (I saw someone commenting about metal debris in their oil), and I made sure to "baby" it for the first 5-600 miles... I still haven't even floored it in this thing! I've been reading on these forums about issues that others are having with their trucks and probably making myself even more paranoid! Keep us posted if you ever do find out what the issue is, if there is one!

Tacoflvrd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD sport
I have basically the same truck as yours and maybe a couple hundred more miles on it, but I saw your post and went to check and to listen for a similar type of noise. It's hard to tell if mine sounds the same as what I'm hearing in your video, but I have noticed that this motor and transmission are just noisy in general (not in a bad way, just that it seems like you can hear every moving component within the motor and transmission). Sorry, I know that's not super helpful! Shifts on my third gen were loud too, but this one feels even about bit louder. With all the negativity cycling on the internet surrounding Toyota right now, I've been feeling a little anxious. I did a break-in oil change on Saturday with no issues (I saw someone commenting about metal debris in their oil), and I made sure to "baby" it for the first 5-600 miles... I still haven't even floored it in this thing! I've been reading on these forums about issues that others are having with their trucks and probably making myself even more paranoid! Keep us posted if you ever do find out what the issue is, if there is one!
I havenā€™t heard any concerning noises yet, Iā€™m at 5150 miles or so. Just had it at the dealer for a service and they said everything looks good. No issues so far.

26wx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
A couple things here.

For years, Toyota has made noisy, clattery trucks. I've been in and out of Toyotas, and I think the moral of the story is don't worry about it unless it actually breaks. I get it that it's unnerving in such a big purchase. But Toyotas don't exactly leave people stranded on the side of the road very often.

Second, it seems like this whole "Toyota quality has gone down" thing is way overblown, like someone started the internet rumor and it just took off like wildfire. I like Toyota, and I'm not trying to be a fan boy, but the number of actual serious vehicle issues doesn't ever appear to be all that high. Go to the Colorado fan page, and there are rear main seals leaking all over the place, it took a significant upgrade to get the 8A transmission to work properly after a couple years of issues, some engine blocks were cracked (maybe from the factory?), CELs, etc. Again, I'm not a Tacoma fanboy. I like the 4th gen Tacoma a lot, but I'm having trouble deciding between a 6MT TRD OR and an AT4X. That AT4X was purely awesome when I test drove it.

Vehicles aren't perfect, and manufacturers have been forced to engineer things they probably didn't want to engineer due to changes in regulations and such.

I'm not trying to come across as mean or anything like that, but just go enjoy your truck and maybe don't read the forums so much lol. Life's too short!

Kdbradley85

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR MT
A couple things here.

For years, Toyota has made noisy, clattery trucks. I've been in and out of Toyotas, and I think the moral of the story is don't worry about it unless it actually breaks. I get it that it's unnerving in such a big purchase. But Toyotas don't exactly leave people stranded on the side of the road very often.

Second, it seems like this whole "Toyota quality has gone down" thing is way overblown, like someone started the internet rumor and it just took off like wildfire. I like Toyota, and I'm not trying to be a fan boy, but the number of actual serious vehicle issues doesn't ever appear to be all that high. Go to the Colorado fan page, and there are rear main seals leaking all over the place, it took a significant upgrade to get the 8A transmission to work properly after a couple years of issues, some engine blocks were cracked (maybe from the factory?), CELs, etc. Again, I'm not a Tacoma fanboy. I like the 4th gen Tacoma a lot, but I'm having trouble deciding between a 6MT TRD OR and an AT4X. That AT4X was purely awesome when I test drove it.

Vehicles aren't perfect, and manufacturers have been forced to engineer things they probably didn't want to engineer due to changes in regulations and such.

I'm not trying to come across as mean or anything like that, but just go enjoy your truck and maybe don't read the forums so much lol. Life's too short!
I didnā€™t take it as mean at all! Thanks for the response. I generally trust that a Toyota product will be reliable, and I also believe a lot of the negativity is overblown or just plain people being haters. The latest news about the Tundra certainly doesnā€™t help in that department thoughā€¦
I can also tell you that the MT is pretty good in the new Taco (better than the 3rd gen, and nicer in traffic with the ā€œnewā€ iMT feature), and Iā€™d definitely recommend giving one a test drive if you havenā€™t had the chance to yet. I picked the Taco years ago specifically because it came with a manual gear box and I always felt the only other option (the Gladiator) was too ugly to enjoy, and Iā€™m not against Jeep (Iā€™ve owned a couple grand cherokees and loved them). The AT4X is a sharp looking truck 100%! Itā€™ll definitely come with more features at a similar price as the Taco, but mine is pretty basic and Iā€™m actually happy with the features it came with (a nice touch screen that works, wireless Apple CarPlay finally, heated seats). Thatā€™s a tough choice! Either way, Iā€™m sure youā€™ll enjoy whichever you pick. For now, Iā€™m trying not to dwell on the negativity thatā€™s out there and focus on enjoying the truck. Still curious as to what the OP comes back with from a diagnosis standpoint.

Sponsored

26wx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
I didnā€™t take it as mean at all! Thanks for the response. I generally trust that a Toyota product will be reliable, and I also believe a lot of the negativity is overblown or just plain people being haters. The latest news about the Tundra certainly doesnā€™t help in that department thoughā€¦
I can also tell you that the MT is pretty good in the new Taco (better than the 3rd gen, and nicer in traffic with the ā€œnewā€ iMT feature), and Iā€™d definitely recommend giving one a test drive if you havenā€™t had the chance to yet. I picked the Taco years ago specifically because it came with a manual gear box and I always felt the only other option (the Gladiator) was too ugly to enjoy, and Iā€™m not against Jeep (Iā€™ve owned a couple grand cherokees and loved them). The AT4X is a sharp looking truck 100%! Itā€™ll definitely come with more features at a similar price as the Taco, but mine is pretty basic and Iā€™m actually happy with the features it came with (a nice touch screen that works, wireless Apple CarPlay finally, heated seats). Thatā€™s a tough choice! Either way, Iā€™m sure youā€™ll enjoy whichever you pick. For now, Iā€™m trying not to dwell on the negativity thatā€™s out there and focus on enjoying the truck. Still curious as to what the OP comes back with from a diagnosis standpoint.
Right, and don't get me wrong, I'm watching these threads as well. I'm not as worried about sporadic problems as I am common problems where multiple people start to chime in with the same issue.

I did test drive the 6MT. Loved it. It's a hard choice. I've even made a list of pros and cons of both, but it's not helping.

OP
OP
jdr

jdr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Thx for all the feedback. I too am of the camp that generally trusts the engineering that goes behind designing these trucks. Nothing can 100% guarantee it, that's just life.

Still curious as to what the OP comes back with from a diagnosis standpoint.
I'm thinking Weds or Thurs I'll likely have some time to swing by the dealer to gauge what they can diagnose for me.

It's a hard choice. I've even made a list of pros and cons of both
@26wx, maybe for your pros and cons list, an item to consider for each truck is aftermarket customizability. For the life of the truck how willing are you to mod and tune it? If you're looking to keep the truck as purchased for the most part, then you might be better served by the option with more features & power out the lot. But if down the road you're willing to mod and tune it... power, suspension, etc. are things that can be tweaked down the road. I know I myself would miss the manual tranny so much if I didn't have it - it was almost _the_ deciding factor. And I know there is a lot of potential to discover down the road on this new Taco platform. Not an easy choice indeed. Good luck!

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Doesn't sound internal to the engine itself, but that's only guessing from the video. But I don't think that's a knock or anything.

I don't know enough about how the D4S system works, but could it be the throttle position you're passing is triggering the switch from the port injectors to the direct injectors? That bank of injectors sits right on top, I believe, so those sounds may just be more noticeable for this engine.

Hope someone smarter than me about this stuff chimes in.
Thanks for the couple of replies so far. If I wind up going to the dealer I'll update this post with their feedback.

I too can hear the gears shifting, in particular from 1st to 2nd. I usually drive with my windows down except the dead of winter... In general this transmission is pretty noisy if you listen to it closely while driving. But none of the particular transmission knocks or bumps I'm hearing sound concerning because, I've heard them in other cars before (manual ones at least). Years ago my dad owned a manual Mazda B3000 and the manual transmission made the same manner of noises as it operated.

This throttle rattle though, I think it's the 1st time I hear something like it in a car. Hopefully with a bit of time we'll learn what's normal with these new Tacos.
yes this transmission is bit weird but i can say one thing for sure is that its solid . My frnd had hilux turbo with manual When i lived in new zealand . That truck and this tacoma have same transmission . It is RC60F toyota transmission . He had almost 20000 miles on it with no problem . Back home in india toyota sells fortuner SUV with almost same transmission RC60 . Its kind of bullet proof .

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
One thing i love about this manual transmission is that its different everyday . Everyday it will behave different .

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester Wilderness
2024 Manual Taco TRD Off-Road, about 550mi on it. Do any of your Tacos make this engine noise? (attached, bottom)

As far as I can remember the engine makes this noise since I took my Taco out of the dealer. It just took me a second to recognize it stood out and another second to figure out how to reliably reproduce it. It seems to be associated to a specific throttle position. It won't make the noise if I go too hard or too soft on the pedal. Here I'm parked in neutral but it will make the noise for longer, while driving in gear, if I keep the throttle at this specific "mid" position... roughly feels like 1/8 deep of the throttle travel. Hear it more in the lower gears, 1st and 2nd. Vaguely if at all in 3rd, and never really at full speed. Overall the car feels great. It doesn't feel like it lacks any power at all. I've been babying the engine ever since I got it, slowly breaking it in.

If I were to describe it verbally, it sounds like monkeys playing low key steel drums moving their hands at 1.5Khz...
It sounds like fluid flowing rapidly through a pipe when the volume doesn't fill the entire pipe...

Do any of your Tacos make this noise?
Yes.
Picked up our TRD OR 6MT yesterday afternoon.
From first movement I heard a racquet of odd noises to my ears (1st time Tacoma owner so no real experience w previous gens) I thought to myself interesting, this sounds like a bag of marbles in a clothes dryer.
But, like you I quickly noticed with different pedal applications I can avoid said noises nearly 100%.
My very limited time behind the wheel 100km or so this 6MT is different than the other manuals I've had over the years but I'm happy with it and surprised by how little clutch depression is required for smooth gear rowing.

Back to the sewing machine sounds..I really don't know the cause. To my ear it sounds like it's caused by vibration.
The why what how of it though, I wish I knew. Might improve with break-in?

I wonder if the Hilux owners out there have similar audible observations as some of our transmission components in 6MT come from the Hilux.
Sponsored