Grill shutter malfunction issue

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
This post is copy paste . Saw someone posted on facebook about grill shutter malfunction

Radiator grill shutter sensor has been causing a check engine warning light with some 24 Tacoma owner trucks. It seems the connection allows moisture to enter causing the issue. Here are images of the Grill Shutter Sensor as seen from front of lower grill just in front of the shutters.

IMG_0035.png

IMG_0036.png
Sponsored

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
Yup, issue is not new. Has been popping up since about 2 weeks after they hit the lots. Lack of proper seal or dielectric grease. Many suspect that is what the QC hold was for back in February.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
Just a guess, I do not think it is the sensor. I think it is the actuator that opens and closes the active shutter grill Look down the center of the shutter about 6 inches down you will see the connector. You will see the top of connector is like a cup and will retain water if water gets to it. You can clearly see the connector wires as well. Rain etc will probably not do it but high pressure water will and can collect in the connector cause corrosion. Poor design. I got a long q tip and filled the connector with dielectric grease. I hand wash my truck (always have) and do not use high pressure on the grill. A Toyota mechanic told me they have had issues with just about every vehicle that toyota uses the active grill shutter on. I asked him why don't they redesign the connector and he said they just fix them, they don't design them.

2024Tacoconnector.PNG

Last edited:

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
Well, the questions remains as to what is the possible fix. Hopefully a running change to the line or more likely a TSB to seal or add dielectric grease to the connector.

Sponsored

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
Toyota…. Get your shit together! Many models with these are problem free shouldn’t be a difficult fix!!

BOBC61

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD SPORT 4X4 DBL CAB BRONZE OXIDE PREMIUM
It must be a big problem again, I had a bronze oxide premium sport that was built on 5/21 it left Baja to san Diego without a QC hold and left on the rail freight on the 29th and then on 6/7 a 30 day QC hold was put on it

BOBC61

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD SPORT 4X4 DBL CAB BRONZE OXIDE PREMIUM

Sponsored

907Yota

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Toyota Xtracab 4WD
This issue is making me nervous. I hope they tested this system in extreme cold and snow. I can see snow dust/freezing causing issues with a grille shutter. It’s not uncommon for me to be driving in -20f to -30f temps.

When the gen 3 was in development, Toyota brought one to Alaska and drove it to the north slope. (That’s a serious test)

Visa_Declined

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off Road
I knew I would end up getting the grill shutter malfunction, so I wasn't surprised at all when it happened. I believe that everyone will get it.

Mine hit at 2,800 miles, and my truck sat at the dealership for 3 weeks because parts were unavailable.

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
I knew I would end up getting the grill shutter malfunction, so I wasn't surprised at all when it happened. I believe that everyone will get it.

Mine hit at 2,800 miles, and my truck sat at the dealership for 3 weeks because parts were unavailable.
I agree. I think at least for the early builds anyway. I have to think that they are doing something with the replacements to prevent a reoccurrence. That being said I don't baby mine. It gets the "full treatment" at the car wash. I have a touchless automatic unlimited membership and I wear it out! After my initial replacement I haven't had any problems...yet.

Visa_Declined

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off Road
I have to think that they are doing something with the replacements to prevent a reoccurrence. .
I asked specifically if the replacement shutter mechanism I received was an improved part, or if the mechanic did anything preventative during its install to keep this malfunction from happening again, and was told no. So I expect another malfunction to appear before too long.

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
I asked specifically if the replacement shutter mechanism I received was an improved part, or if the mechanic did anything preventative during its install to keep this malfunction from happening again, and was told no. So I expect another malfunction to appear before too long.
It’s interesting that mine failed after less than a week of ownership with zero exposure to water while in my possession and my replacement has gone a few months now with weekly, sometimes daily exposure to high pressure water. I guess time will tell.
Sponsored