TRD Off-Road automatic lost gears 1-5

Kjc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR
I'm glad they're taking care of you and your truck... It is definitely scary... Yours with 6k miles and one in it's first month... Mines at 2.5k now... Hopefully this is your only issues with your truck... Keep us posted....

Sidenote* Is this new 8 speed transmission in any other vehicles?... They will be using it in the new 4 runner too right?

OP
OP
SonoranSurvivalist

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' RAV4 Hybrid Limited, '24 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
I'm glad they're taking care of you and your truck... It is definitely scary... Yours with 6k miles and one in it's first month... Mines at 2.5k now... Hopefully this is your only issues with your truck... Keep us posted....

Sidenote* Is this new 8 speed transmission in any other vehicles?... They will be using it in the new 4 runner too right?
I believe you're right that this transmission is only in the upcoming 4runner, unless you can find it in some Lexus.

As far as current other problems, there aren't any. I was having a blast with the truck up until the failure.

Reactions: Kjc
OP
OP
SonoranSurvivalist

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
The 2.4L engine is used in a bunch of other Toyota/Lexus products, but I think this might be the first use of that transmission. The other vehicles are all front wheel/all wheel drive, so the transmission would have to be different AFAIK.

And several posts hit the heart of the problem, because how do you know if the problem won't be there in any of our trucks in the future. I guess if Toyota figures this out and talks about what happened, otherwise it will be a guessing game. My truck will be my travel machine since my wife bought an electric suv, and I am definitely a bit worried.

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
Disappointing as it may be that these issues are happening, it's not affecting my purchasing decision. As a matter of fact, the status of my truck just got updated today to an estimated delivery date of 7/22-8/05. Toyota came through as most of us expected them to. If the 2024 models turn out to be a model year to avoid, so be it; but I'm confident I will have this vehicle for a long time.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
When I had to have transmission replaced in that Yamaha actually everyone did it was a factory recall I was so mad at Yamaha then I was one of the very few owners that had a bad experience with the replacement. As as said I ended up having to lemon law but I still own that bike and it’s perfect. I have also purchased three more yamaha since that lemon. I got over my anger at Yamaha and am a proud owner. I would do the same with Toyota. Would I be angry frustrated and ready to jump ship yah for a lil while but in the end the Tacoma is the best truck in its segment. Teething issues are common on first model years usually very quietly parts are updated and only if you look at part numbers you can see the change. I will be sticking with Toyota and have full confidence in there products.

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronze Oxide TRD OR
This thread made me curious, I put my OR into "manual" shift mode and noticed that when I put it into "manual" it will always say S 3 when engaged while stopped. I can down shift into 1 and then drive as usual. Oddly, starting in S3 drives like normal as well. I didn't spend much time messing with it. Wondering if others have the same experience.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
The 2.4L engine is used in a bunch of other Toyota/Lexus products, but I think this might be the first use of that transmission. The other vehicles are all front wheel/all wheel drive, so the transmission would have to be different AFAIK.
I saw a blurb somewhere that the transmission was a Jatco-manufactured 8-speed, but dont have much more info beyond that in my own research that I was able to find. More on the T24A-FTS, and basically nil for the tranny.

Update: I was able to find from my previous search history the following:

8-Speed Automatic Transmissions are AL80E (2WD), AL80F (4WD Non-Hybrid), and L580F (4WD Hybrid) (New transmissions)

As you suggested, the AL80 series are specific to the Tacaoma.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_A_transmission#AL80F

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@LincolnSixAlpha The Wikipedia article says that the 'A' starting the transmission number indicates Aisin is the maker. Another search showed that Toyota uses Jatco for their CVTs, but Aisin for their automatics. Toyota is a majority owner of Aisin, who makes transmissions for a lot of other car makers as well.

That lines up with what I have read on other forums, but that info can always be wrong. I am no expert but just reporting what I had found earlier. I saw a YouTube video (I know!) from someone familiar with transmission reliability and he said his RAM had an Aisin tranny and that the 4th gen uses them as well.

The hybrid transmission beginning with an 'L" is still a mystery to me.

guitarist alec

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport 4X4 Longbed Premium
Picking up a TRD Sport Premium in Colorado and bring it home to NorCal in a couple of weeks - fingers crossed 🤞 the whole drive home, I guess 👀

@SonoranSurvivalist - glad they are taking care of you !

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Here is the video I mentioned above. A more rational look at the Tacoma transmission problems, without any click bait craziness.

Of course we are now seeing real failures reported by real owners, so the problem is not just click bait mania. But I still think it is hard to say at this point just how widespread this problem is.

OP
OP
SonoranSurvivalist

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This thread made me curious, I put my OR into "manual" shift mode and noticed that when I put it into "manual" it will always say S 3 when engaged while stopped. I can down shift into 1 and then drive as usual. Oddly, starting in S3 drives like normal as well. I didn't spend much time messing with it. Wondering if others have the same experience.
So the first time I even tried using the manual mode I was in 4L and I slapped it into manual to try and have better control on my downhill decent. It was in S3 like you said, but it wouldn't go into 2 or 1. This was while I was still in NC, about a week ago. Figured maybe at the time it was just a 4L thing and forgot about it. Maybe it was a precursor to the failure, not being able to get into gears 1 or 2.
Sponsored