JakeJoeBob

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
I’m aware.

Im just saying torque isn’t limited to usefulness in 0-60s and the added torque from the motor isn’t being delivered as constantly on paper like non hybrids.

it eliminates turbo lag, allows easier towing (not more), is more powerful offroad due to the higher torque available quicker, and then there’s the marginal mpg increase. It simply drives better, not faster.

the hybrids 0-60 time is marginally better and not the purpose. I’d suggest you go test drive one. It’s a fun powertrain
I totally misunderstood your post lol, I appologize. I've test driven the non hybrid, I really liked it and honestly felt comprable to my V8 4Runner in terms of acceleration of the line, I didn't think the lag was too bad. Havent gotten the chance for the hybrid yet. Do you really think the Hybrid drives better/smoother? How was passing power? That was the only part of the powertrain that didn't replace the displament lol. My other main concern is towing, I'm trying to figure out if that 500lb difference would matter for my 19ft travel trailer. Like you stated, the hybird would pull harder but it pulls less? Unlike the Hybrid Tundra that pulls a little more. It just has me a bit confused. On a list to get an OR Hybrid and Possibly TH (#15🤞🏼) but I was kicking around the idea of just getting a non Hyrbid OR and saving the cash.
Sponsored

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
I totally misunderstood your post lol, I appologize. I've test driven the non hybrid, I really liked it and honestly felt comprable to my V8 4Runner in terms of acceleration of the line, I didn't think the lag was too bad. Havent gotten the chance for the hybrid yet. Do you really think the Hybrid drives better/smoother? How was passing power? That was the only part of the powertrain that didn't replace the displament lol. My other main concern is towing, I'm trying to figure out if that 500lb difference would matter for my 19ft travel trailer. Like you stated, the hybird would pull harder but it pulls less? Unlike the Hybrid Tundra that pulls a little more. It just has me a bit confused. On a list to get an OR Hybrid and Possibly TH (#15🤞🏼) but I was kicking around the idea of just getting a non Hyrbid OR and saving the cash.
I absolutely think it drives better/smoother. I don’t have mine yet, but I’ve test driven the hybrid twice now.

there are also many other reasons I want the hybrid outside of the drivability as the other user pointed out above.

I honestly think folk just need to test it and decide for themselves. It’s not as simple as comparing 0-60s unfortunately

JakeJoeBob

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
I absolutely think it drives better/smoother. I don’t have mine yet, but I’ve test driven the hybrid twice now.

there are also many other reasons I want the hybrid outside of the drivability as the other user pointed out above.

I honestly think folk just need to test it and decide for themselves. It’s not as simple as comparing 0-60s unfortunately
Thanks for the info! Still waiting for my dealer to get one in 😁

Taconatron

First Name
nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma
It’s not that we care who’s winning in a drag race. The hybrids will. It’s that we have a better visual representation of how much quicker the hybrid is.
It’s also fun to compare.

SnowmanJPS

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Subaru Outback XT (24 Pro on order)
There’s a buddy on here who owns a TRD pro and TRD offroad, he could get his son together for a bonding drag race for us 😂

Sponsored

Supertech1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD ORP
Lol…My son would love that😁 The hybrid is a smoother power delivery, better driving feel. My son says he wishes the TRD OR had the instant acceleration feel of the Pro.

Paul F

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rav4
it would be interesting to see both unloaded and loaded drag races. that would highlight the potential difference in performance.

...which begs the question... why are people wasting their time creating a soap opera about something so straight forward?

grizzlyoutlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TACOMA
Lol…My son would love that😁 The hybrid is a smoother power delivery, better driving feel. My son says he wishes the TRD OR had the instant acceleration feel of the Pro.
This is why I need to stay off the forums and avoid that buyers remorse for waiting two years and not an extra month for the Hybrid Pro. I did have a throttle sensitivity booster on order but they pushed back a month.

AlexT

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado ZR2
It's not the same thing but I recently had a Jeep wrangler 4xe for a week long rental. This model is a plug in hybrid but I was only using it in standard hybrid mode because I didn't have a way to charge it up. What was most noticeable for me was off the line acceleration was very quick and smooth and 0-40 acceleration would give many sports cars a run for its money. The extra hybrid weight was also well hidden by the electric torque. The Jeep also came with a 30A power breakout box that plugs into the charging port, I could see this being very handy when camping with it's ~20kwh battery. If I assume similar performance from the Tacoma hybrid system I can see why this would be a popular driveability upgrade with the bonus of the 2400w inverter. I'm not sure I would spend $4k more for it but maybe once dealers are well stocked and discounting there will only be a $2-3k delta. I will say that mashing the throttle on that Jeep put a smile on my face every time and still returned 21mpg "driving it like a rental".

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tacoma
I have a hybrid Offroad and have only test driven the non-hybrid engine. But, the hybrid power under 3000 RPM is awesome. The feel and power that separate it from the standard engine is all in the low RPM range. The engine almost never needs to go above 3000 even when you want to quickly pass someone. The problem with a 0-60 test is that is almost completely done above 3000RPM so you are taking away what makes the hybrid special. Another reason I chose the hybrid, is if you plan of going to larger tires the advantages of the hybrid will only increase. You really need to drive one and feel it, but it is definitely a significant difference. Torque curve:

2024 Tacoma I wanna see a drag race of Turbo vs Hybrid Tacomas 1720807574102-0

Last edited:

rchrds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Trailhunter
Ugh- just don't try to roll in a trailhunter. It's heavy, and I wouldn't categorize the acceleration as...quick. About the same as my 1st Gen V6.
Sponsored