Paint imperfections- orange peel finish

CrispyTacoLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma and 4Runner Off-road
Yes it can with a good detailer.
It would be great to be wrong.

But I would not have purchased the truck in that condition to start with. Sure as hell wouldn’t be spending 2-3k to fix a bad factory paint job.
Sponsored

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
It would be great to be wrong.

But I would not have purchased the truck in that condition to start with. Sure as hell wouldn’t be spending 2-3k to fix a bad factory paint job.
While Toyota paint is basically as low budget as it gets most paint has some level of orange peel. We have bought two Porsche’s and they have orange peel. Yes it is frustrating but if you are expecting a good paint job, Toyota or any other budget auto maker is probably not for you.

CrispyTacoLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma and 4Runner Off-road
While Toyota paint is basically as low budget as it gets most paint has some level of orange peel. We have bought two Porsche’s and they have orange peel. Yes it is frustrating but if you are expecting a good paint job, Toyota or any other budget auto maker is probably not for you.
I’ve been driving Toyota’s all my life going back to a 1977 Celica GT Liftback. I think I know a little about their shitty paint.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
It is really hard to judge orange peel from pictures, so I believe @Fireguy67, but I would love to see his truck up close.

Every car/truck forum that I have used has at some point gotten into an orange peel discussion. I don't find Toyota's paint to be any worse than other mainstream makers, and all automotive paint has been really thin since everyone went with water base paint, not just Toyota.

How much you see orange peel varies by the color and the light source/direction. I had water spotting on a black car that jumped out at me in my garage under fluorescent lighting. I tried to show it to a friend out in the sun, and neither of us could ever see it.

If the orange peel is in the base coat it can't be buffed out unless you first remove all of the clear coat, and I think that would be a really bad idea.

A Corvette forum I belong to got into a real battle about orange peel on C7 Vettes. Someone said that pretty much all cars have some and he posted a picture of the paint on his Bentley, which had visible orange peel. At least at that time Bentley was the only mainstream car maker that hand, wet-sanded every car's base coat before shooting the clear coat. Even after that, there was still some visible orange peel.

I never obsess about that because from my POV orange peel is just part of the modern paint process, although some manufacturers and some colors have less of it than others..

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Update on my last post. Just watched TRD Jon's likes/dislikes on his truck. He said pretty much the same thing about his Underground OR. Lots of chips, lots of swirls and he had a paint correction done from the get go. I will be getting ppf on the front and probably ceramic and now I am wondering if I will need paint correction right out of the box.

That is pretty lame IMO and I wonder if that is with most of the colors or just the Underground?

Sponsored

Tire fryer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Ford F250 7.3 4x4
Pretty much any manufacturer aside from ultra premium brands will have orange peel on the refinish. Yes, even Porsche. The only way to permanently remove orange peel is to color sand and buff. As a side effect, this process does remove some amount of paint. If done right, it will remove a small amount, done wrong and it will burn the paint right through. Rather have the factory orange peel than a repainted panel.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
My ice cap white sr5 is flawless not one dirt nib or imperfection . I do auto body work for a living so I really know what I’m looking for. I guess it’s hit or miss . I’d get the truck buffed and polished then ceramic coated see if that makes a difference. Mine is a march 2024 build date

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Good to hear from a pro @Gfenza89 - that is the kind of info that helps us all out.

Yeah - it seems hit or miss and I see more complaints on Underground than other colors. I also saw some streaking and uneven color on a Celestial Silver Metallic truck.

@Fireguy67 Something else I saw on the TRD Jon video was that he knows of some people who have had a paint correction on Underground trucks and were able to make the dealer pay for that. Maybe that is something you can look into.

Powhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 TRD OR 6MT DCSB Underground
I have some orange peel on my Underground OR. You can only notice it if it’s clean and you look really close. It’s not a show truck, I use it, and only wash my truck a couple times a month or after going on the trail. It still looks great walking up to it, even dirty. I’m going to use it, take as good of care of it as I reasonably can and enjoy the heck out of it.

OP
OP
Fireguy67

Fireguy67

First Name
Klaus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyta Tacoma Sport Premium 6’ bed
Good to hear from a pro @Gfenza89 - that is the kind of info that helps us all out.

Yeah - it seems hit or miss and I see more complaints on Underground than other colors. I also saw some streaking and uneven color on a Celestial Silver Metallic truck.

@Fireguy67 Something else I saw on the TRD Jon video was that he knows of some people who have had a paint correction on Underground trucks and were able to make the dealer pay for that. Maybe that is something you can look into.
Thanks for this Tacofreak!!

Sponsored

Bluznvice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR LB Bronze Oxide
I didn't find any paint defects on my ORP BO, but had paint correction done anyway before PPF and ceramic coat. Pretty much perfect.

TrustButVerify

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Update on my last post. Just watched TRD Jon's likes/dislikes on his truck. He said pretty much the same thing about his Underground OR. Lots of chips, lots of swirls and he had a paint correction done from the get go. I will be getting ppf on the front and probably ceramic and now I am wondering if I will need paint correction right out of the box.

That is pretty lame IMO and I wonder if that is with most of the colors or just the Underground?
I have an underground truck as well. The finish on the paint is really bad. It's embarrassing how bad it is. The problem is you don't notice it until you really have a long time to look at it. And you have to have perfect lighting. It's not going to be at the dealership. There's almost no way you can look at this unless you're in a garage under lights and have some time.

So the problem is you don't know that you got the fifth grade intern doing your truck until you get the new Tacoma home.

I've looked at other Tacomas. The underground is by far the worst color to get as far as paint problems.

There's a lot of people on that YT post that talked about having paint problems, over on Tacoma world, same thing. The 4runner forum same thing. Underground is just a shit color

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crossover
Where is the orange peel located? If it's along the bottom portion of the vehicle then, I believe, this is normal.
Yeah I have it mostly on the bottom of the truck on my TRD Pro. It's not really too noticeable but I was wondering if it was an effect of the paint pooling up at that location during painting. Or intentional?

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Yeah I have it mostly on the bottom of the truck on my TRD Pro. It's not really too noticeable but I was wondering if it was an effect of the paint pooling up at that location during painting. Or intentional?
It might be intentional. If it is on the bottom few inches of the body that is not orange peel, but a material Toyota puts on before it is painted to reduce chipping down low. My very first Supra even had that and it did work.

Maybe post some pictures of what you are seeing?

av8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many
It might be intentional. If it is on the bottom few inches of the body that is not orange peel, but a material Toyota puts on before it is painted to reduce chipping down low. My very first Supra even had that and it did work.

Maybe post some pictures of what you are seeing?
That dampened foam underlayer is used on rockers, but people are posting images of upper fenders, doors, etc. All factory paint on the average vehicle today is very poorly finished. Most people don't care, so they keep figuring ways to make them cheaper and faster.
Sponsored