Sponsored

2024 TRD Off-Road Gas Tank Capacity When Filling Up?

Chatanuga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD
Hello everyone,
So I've had my 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road for about 2 months now and I can't seem to figure out why my truck fills up at 15 gallons when I assume it's supposed to be 18 gallon capacity. I'm only getting 260 miles when filling up. Shouldn't it be filling up with 18 gallons instead of 15? Are the other 3 reserve? Has anyone looked into this or have similar problem?
Sponsored

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Hello everyone,
So I've had my 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road for about 2 months now and I can't seem to figure out why my truck fills up at 15 gallons when I assume it's supposed to be 18 gallon capacity. I'm only getting 260 miles when filling up. Shouldn't it be filling up with 18 gallons instead of 15? Are the other 3 reserve? Has anyone looked into this or have similar problem?
Empty light usually comes on with about 2.7 gallons left I believe (according to the manual)

Taco Azul

First Name
MP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Trailhunter LB, Tesla Model X, Polestar 2, Toyota GR86
So when it says I have 0 miles left I still have 2.7 gallons left?
Far as I know, it’s not just a Tacoma thing, every Toyota does this. It’s dumb. But I have to train my brain to think the number displayed is not range, but it’s the miles remaining before Toyota’s ultra conservative “Refuel now” warning appears.

Sponsored

2TR-FE

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tacoma SR5
yup; it’s a Tacoma thing. Even on my 3rd gen; gas light comes on when I have close to 3 gallons left. Really hope that would have been addressed this gen but as long as you know that; no biggie. Its better on our Fuel pumps not to run past empty often

john877

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
It takes getting used to, I now routinely run mine down to less than 10 miles before I fill up. Even then I have over 3 gallons left in the tank.

soupy1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR Long Bed
Hello everyone,
What does the fuel gauge show (the bar gauge below the miles to empty number)?
And, do you really want to run it down to actual empty before fueling?

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000
And, do you really want to run it down to actual empty before fueling?
No - but i prefer instrumentation to be accurate so i can make sound decisions.

A low warning light is great - but don't tell me its empty if it not.

Sponsored

soupy1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR Long Bed
So far on mine the actual gauge has been accurate when I fill up (half-tank takes ~9 gal, 3/4 takes ~14).
I look at the "miles to empty" as comic relief. I'd like to just turn it off.
Never have run it low enough for the warning to come on.

Lando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K1500 Silverado, Honda Accord, VW Gti
Are you guys getting 312 miles on a tank in mostly city driving? (This is about 500 km, a benchmark I use to rate vehicles).

AnotherRandomWhiteGuy

First Name
Another
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 2001
No - but i prefer instrumentation to be accurate so i can make sound decisions.

A low warning light is great - but don't tell me its empty if it not.
They are being conservative with the low gas warning for average Non-Car enthusiast people. For the average person, this is a good margin of safety so they aren't stranded. If my mom or my fiance borrowed my vehicle and it had conservative warnings like this I would be glad. Vehicles are built for the masses. They're not built for car nerds.

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
Our Sienna traded for the Tacoma was similarly quick to give you the impression of an empty tank, and I never knew or pursued the actual reserve like I found here. It had a much bigger range and I'd fill it up to satisfy the fear of running out with the family but do remember a nervous time when it ran longer than expected.

This tank capacity might be one of the honestly annoying aspects of the vehicle along with wireless firmware but overall we like it getting to two months and putting on the miles faster than expected.

A high octane trial for one trip seems to have gained a small amount of range but not worth the $0.50 premium. Making same to cabin site with building materials trip also had all the power needed with regular fuel so I don't think I'll use high octane fuel often.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Every Toyota I have owned has been this way.

Once while far away from gas stations my Tundra's low fuel light came on and I ignored it. By the time I could refuel, the gauge was pegged at the bottom, sitting below the empty mark. It has a 26.4 gallon tank and I was still only able to add 22 gallons of gas. That is the most I have ever filled it up with.

It would be helpful if Toyota was not so conservative in this, but I guess they really, really, don't ever want you to run out of gas.
Sponsored