Sponsored

2024 Tacoma TRD Pro Full Transmission Replacement After 342 Miles

CrispyTacoLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma and 4Runner Off-road
Definitely. Luckily she's been great so far so let's hope that trend continues. I'll keep this updated with any changes!
I guess that changed overnight. The buyback quote you got from her sucks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
fostuhh

fostuhh

First Name
Foster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 TRD Pro Tacoma
I guess that changed overnight. The buyback quote you got from her sucks.
Yeah, buyback quote is obviously from the legal end of things, not her specifically. I am not too concerned as I never wanted the buyback quote to begin with. Another rep in a different department submitted it when it shouldn't have been.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Just a heads up - not trying to scare anyone, but...

I have been in a conversation with someone on another forum who drove 8 hours to Oregon to buy his TRD Pro. At 800 miles he got the dreaded "Hybrid System Malfunction" warning. Yep -another dead Tacoma transmission before 1k miles.

Still planning on buying my truck, but for the first time ever with questions about Toyota reliability.

Wutangz_Taco

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro Tacoma
Just a heads up - not trying to scare anyone, but...

I have been in a conversation with someone on another forum who drove 8 hours to Oregon to buy his TRD Pro. At 800 miles he got the dreaded "Hybrid System Malfunction" warning. Yep -another dead Tacoma transmission before 1k miles.

Still planning on buying my truck, but for the first time ever with questions about Toyota reliability.
Interesting. We just picked up our new LC250 last week and drove 600 miles home with no problems so far. Have around 800 miles on it to this point with no hard shifting. One of the first 500 made. I am, perhaps incorrectly, under the impression that the transmission manufacturer on these two drivetrains is the same. Not sure though.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I am, perhaps incorrectly, under the impression that the transmission manufacturer on these two drivetrains is the same. Not sure though.
Yes - the LC250 transmissions, like pretty much all Toyota transmissions, would be from Aisin. A well regarded manufacturer with normally high reliability.

Congrat on the LC - love those trucks! I should get my TRD Pro next week but If I were getting something else it would most likely be a LC. I think that a lot of buyers will be holding their breath until they get more miles on and more confidence in this new platform.

Sponsored

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Interesting. We just picked up our new LC250 last week and drove 600 miles home with no problems so far. Have around 800 miles on it to this point with no hard shifting. One of the first 500 made. I am, perhaps incorrectly, under the impression that the transmission manufacturer on these two drivetrains is the same. Not sure though.
Not only is it the same manufacturer but I believe an identical transmission.

Aisin has been making trannys for Toyota for a long time.

Given the sporadic nature of these failures, along with the TSB for debris, I wonder if this is a redux of the V35A engine failures, transmission edition.

I guess the only consolation here is that it's just way easier and less intrusive to replace a transmission than a long block.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I think that you are right that we are maybe heading toward a recall situation like Toyota has with the Tundra. Strangely it seems to have the same root cause in both cases. Sloppy manufacturing in the form of improperly cleaning out casting debris.

The Tundra's due to their Alabama plant - the same plant that makes the 4th gen engine BTW. The Taco problem comes to us by way of Aisin, a proven transmission maker. Casting drivetrain components is not new, we have been doing that for a very long time. To me that says the problem is cost cutting, cutting corners and sloppy production methods. I never thought I would say that about Toyota, but there it is.

I will still be buying my truck, but if Toyota does not do something to give me confidence in it I will not be keeping it for too long. That had been my intention but once the warranty is over I would not be comfortable owning it unless Toyota can prove to me that I can trust it.

OP
OP
fostuhh

fostuhh

First Name
Foster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 TRD Pro Tacoma
**UPDATE***

Some wonderful news. The truck was repaired on Wednesday and arrived at my house yesterday morning. Couldn't be happier right now, it is driving amazing and no issues transmission wise thus far. So, here's to thousands or worry free miles. Appreciate you all for your interest and following along.

As far as compensation is concerned. It was sent to me on their dime, the 10 year warranty and covering the payments from then until now, as well as rental reimbursement. The selling dealer apparently has some goodies that they are sending over as well, I will let you all know what that ends up being. But for now, enjoy these photos of her being home.

Image.jpeg
Image-1.jpeg
Image-2.jpeg

Hingie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport
It sucks for those who have to deal with these issues but if there were 100 trucks that had these transmission issues, it would still be an insignificant percentage of the vehicles sold so far. Social media exaggerates this stuff so much. Every person that has an issue immediately jumps on FB, a forum, Twitter, whatever to complain. Not saying that's wrong, but in the past we'd never even know about these issues unless there were hundreds or thousands of vehicles with the same issue.
I totally agree with you.

It's a truck, not something to be worshiped. I do not do social media for this reason but to each his own.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Glad to hear that Toyota stepped up to the plate. I would have been 100% satisfied if I were in your predicament.

You purchased your Pro in the best color combo!!!
Sponsored

Last edited: