Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
In a previous thread around 1900 miles stated truck was stuck in 6th gear, would barely move. Then returned to being able to drive but shifting rough. I guessing will just need to wait till we get stranded on the side of the road. Hopefully everyone gets fixed up if needed.
I think the TSB puts you in a much better position.

You have multiple shift anomalies, plus codes, rough shifting and being stuck in one gear. Your transmission is clearly not working correctly and this TSB pretty much guarantees that Toyota will fix it.

Take it to the dealer and it will be their problem now, and not yours. I have had Toyotas with issues covered by a TSB and no shortcuts were taken, all the work was done right, and it did not cost me a penny.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Yeah I subscribe to the TSB emails and I saw this come across the other day. But it was vague in the email and I didn't feel like paying the $25 just to read it. I'm glad someone did because it is actually really interesting.
Yeah I have an account with Toyota because I work in a collision repair shop have access to all their info. I can’t believe the way this tsb took off

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@Gfenza89 It is huge news man.

People in the TSB have a clear path to getting their trucks fixed and the ones outside of it can feel more confident in their trucks. It lifts a cloud that Toyota had created over their head.

Thanks for sharing. :cool:

Mark_Tacoma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport
Hi. Brand new here, and I just purchased yesterday a 2024 Tacoma 4x4 Sport , and I am indeed in the VIN range (3TYLB5JN ... ... 34815). Mine has a 6 foot bed, which I think is a little more rare.

So, I'm trying to enjoy my new purchase with the new-truck smell, but then I see this transmission TSB. Ugg. I'm trying to not overreact. Could anyone put a reasonable probability that any one Tacoma (in this VIN range) will have the problem?

Are we talking about a very low probability?

Sponsored

frosty4x4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
Bro how does posting a picture of the other TSB have anything to do with the one in this thread? There are clearly manual transmission VINs on it and either that’s wrong (unlikely) or the description is a typo (likely). We’ve seen a few MTs on here fail and they’re definitely related to this TSB. You’re not out of the woods but keep thinking that…

Rocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 trd w/upgrade
I think the TSB puts you in a much better position.

You have multiple shift anomalies, plus codes, rough shifting and being stuck in one gear. Your transmission is clearly not working correctly and this TSB pretty much guarantees that Toyota will fix it.

Take it to the dealer and it will be their problem now, and not yours. I have had Toyotas with issues covered by a TSB and no shortcuts were taken, all the work was done right, and it did not cost me a penny.
Yup, this is Toyota doing the right thing. Would it be an inconvenience to have the tranny replaced? Sure. But there is now no question that it will be taken care of. And it does seem to be very rare anyways. There was probably one shitty employee whose only job was to make sure that the trannys were clean, and he sucked at his job. They figured out who it was, fired him, and now he builds F-150's for Ford.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma OR
Hi. Brand new here, and I just purchased yesterday a 2024 Tacoma 4x4 Sport , and I am indeed in the VIN range (3TYLB5JN ... ... 34815). Mine has a 6 foot bed, which I think is a little more rare.

So, I'm trying to enjoy my new purchase with the new-truck smell, but then I see this transmission TSB. Ugg. I'm trying to not overreact. Could anyone put a reasonable probability that any one Tacoma (in this VIN range) will have the problem?

Are we talking about a very low probability?
I know how you feel. It's all a guess at this point but if youtuber's are to be believed, they mentioned 300 on backorder with Toyota as info from a dealer. Add 100 from NHTSA and forums and other folks who don't post about it. 400ish down with 100k sold is like .5% of total sales as a failure number. Doesn't sound like a lot but this the same way the Tundra engine issues started and that % continued to grow until the recall was issued. If this were betting, I'd put my money on no issues for you or me but just the idea of it happening isn't comforting. If it helps you at all, this trans is super easy and non invasive to replace, the issue lies in breaking down somewhere and the wait time for parts.

Mark_Tacoma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport
I know how you feel. It's all a guess at this point but if youtuber's are to be believed, they mentioned 300 on backorder with Toyota as info from a dealer. Add 100 from NHTSA and forums and other folks who don't post about it. 400ish down with 100k sold is like .5% of total sales as a failure number. Doesn't sound like a lot but this the same way the Tundra engine issues started and that % continued to grow until the recall was issued. If this were betting, I'd put my money on no issues for you or me but just the idea of it happening isn't comforting. If it helps you at all, this trans is super easy and non invasive to replace, the issue lies in breaking down somewhere and the wait time for parts.
Thank you. What you say makes sense, and it does ease my mind to know that the replacement process is easy / non invasive. So, while it would be super annoying to be one of the unlucky owners with this problem, and to have to wait for parts and everything ... ultimately the truck would be repaired. I'll try not to worry about this too much. Thanks again.

Sponsored

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Don’t be that dramatic dude, it’s still highly unlikely to have a bad trans. On top of that the Manuel transmissions has their own tsb from Toyota which requires replacing the entire trans
What's messing up within the transmission that both a manual transmission and automatic transmission is causing failure? Either way I've pounded the hell out of my MT with 23,000kms on her, I have a feeling im in the safe. I was never worried and wasn't being "dramatic" 🤣 I was just rilling all ya'll up.

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
My Sport is shifting smoothly. I'm in the TSB range. If there is a recall, I just hope they provide a loaner vehicle. Don't care what it is, as long as it gets me from A to B.
Not sure where you're located or how the dealers operate in your area but any dealer I've ever bought from got the more than one day policy. If the warranty work is more than a day's work, you're provided a loner, if they can't provide a loner they provide a rental.

Srt10

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tocoma
I’m confused is mine one that is included thanks
IMG_0669.jpeg