Sponsored

Aftermarket subwoofer upgrade for 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road -- Update: added amp (Kicker key500.1) to power factory subwoofer

Jarvis14

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
Before I even took delivery of my tacoma, I had plans on installing a 8" shallow mount subwoofer. In the previous 3rd gen tacoma, it looked like it was fairly easy to install a shallow subwoofer behind the rear passenger seat.

Unfortunately, that's not the case with the 4th gen. The bottle jack mount is welded to the seat mount and doesn't have much room for a shallow mount 8" box.

I'm disappointed with the factory JBL subwoofer enclosure. The enclosure has basically no volume to it. Looks like i'll have to find a shop to make me a custom enclosure to replace the factory JBL 10" subwoofer. Any other thoughts/recommendations?

IMG_2820.JPG
IMG_2822.JPG
IMG_2821.JPG
Do you happen to know where the factory amp location is?
Sponsored

OP
OP

jci

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Do you happen to know where the factory amp location is?
I believe it’s under the drivers seat. But i haven’t actually looked for it.

ramble22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid
I forgot to mention, I used techstream to disable active noise cancellation. In order to get the kicker key amp to do it's auto DSP programming, it says active noise cancellation must be turned off. I already had the mini vci cable from owning toyotas in the past. I believe you can find the mini vci cable online for around $30-40. You might also be able to get your local dealership to disable the ANC.
Were you able to use Techstream software locally installed to a PC, or did you have to use the new browser based Global Techstream? My understanding was the former does not support the 2024 Tacoma, but it would be great if that's not true.

OP
OP

jci

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Were you able to use Techstream software locally installed to a PC, or did you have to use the new browser based Global Techstream? My understanding was the former does not support the 2024 Tacoma, but it would be great if that's not true.
i used the one installed to my pc. it doesn’t show 2024 tacoma as an option, but i was still able to communicate with the ecms.