Sponsored

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH

Is there any potential to tune the hybrid systems on these? I would love it if eco mode would actually do something.
Eco mode seems to be expressed through the computer’s adjustments in adaptive cruise is what I’ve learned. It is marginal. Truck reaches speed limit at the blink of an eye with a soft accelerator touch

Dawn patrol 5am, almost no traffic identical drives different modes they glean some differentiation. But not much (to-date with 1,000 mi on my odometer)
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
JustDSM

JustDSM

ELITE Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad
Justin, I have a couple questions for you.
I had the OTT Tune on my 2023 3rd Gen. During my ownership of it, the dealer had my Truck 2 times for service. One of those visits addressed a transmission issue. One of their steps was to validate the latest code. In my case, the Toyota dealership could not detect the OTT tune and they thought it was Toyota's latest.

Also, on my 3rd Gen, the “ECT Switch” was programmed for an additional tune. In my case, I had the default as the Mild tune. A flip of the “ECT Switch” and now the tune was Spicy.

Question 1
Can the Toyota dealership detect If a 4th Gen has been reprogrammed with OTT tune? Should I expect the same experience at the dealership as I did with my 3rd Gen?

Question 2
My 4th Gen is a limited model. The limited has 5 different drive modes from ECO, Comfort, Normal, Sport and Sport plus. Will OTT utilizes this “Drive Mode Switch” and program your tunes to these 5 switch positions?

Thanks - Mike
Mike,

Thanks for the support on the 3G! Our flashing method/protocols for the 4G will not trigger or report an RoB event, which we specifically wanted to validate. There is no "record" or stored data reporting that the ECU has been flashed, so nothing would indicate to a dealer technician that your truck has been flashed, just as it was the case with your 3G.

The drive modes are retained in our development calibration; however, they retain their original function at this time. We've focused our efforts on generating a meaningful increase in output safely as our first order of business.

How different drive modes will be remapped will have to be a conversation for a later date. I'm unable to share details on how they'll be mapped going forward. What I can say, though, is that you will certainly NOT lose their functionality. I hope that helps in the meantime!

OP
OP
JustDSM

JustDSM

ELITE Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad
The OTT tune on my Fj Cruiser made such a huge difference. Curious to hear what people think of these tunes. This applied to a hybrid will get over 500lb-ft of torque no doubt. Pretty nuts!

Is there any potential to tune the hybrid systems on these? I would love it if eco mode would actually do something.
Tyler,

Thanks so much for the support and kind words! I'm just as excited as anyone to get this out to the 4G community. I promise to keep everyone posted the moment we're ready to go live!

We still have a lot of R&D to do on the hybrid integration and controls. These are new-generation ECUs using much more complex code than the previous 3G Tacoma, so there are still a few "unknowns" at the moment. Many of those unknowns center around what exactly we'll be able to do with the hybrid system—unfortunately, more to come on this one.

Baltimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gen1.5 Highlander v6 AWD, gen4 Taco Ltd Max
@JustDSM

Can you post a chart showing OEM 87(r91) vs OEM 91 vs OTT 91? that'll help highlight the step change of each decision/adjustment
(Saw you posted OEM 91 over in TacomaWorld)

OP
OP
JustDSM

JustDSM

ELITE Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad
@JustDSM

Can you post a chart showing OEM 87(r91) vs OEM 91 vs OTT 91? that'll help highlight the step change of each decision/adjustment
(Saw you posted OEM 91 over in TacomaWorld)
Sure thing!

I'd like to clarify/provide some context here just to keep everyone on the same page and keep any future comparisons in perspective.

The "as delivered" run shown below (Red) was on 85 octane. Here in Utah that is "regular" grade fuel due to our elevation. Not 87 octane as most other states will use as their "regular" fuel grade.

The "premium" run (Blue) was on 91octane.

The "Beta" calibration (Green) was also on 91 Octane, with the same peak boost level as the OEM tune.

4g Reg VS Prem VS Prem Beta.jpg

A few additional details that might be worth pointing out:

At present, we're unable to effectively "gear lock" the transmission to get full RPM sweep curves showing the full extent of changes from 2,000RPM-Redline. This makes it impossible to effectively show any TRUE gains below 3,500RPM as going "WOT" at any RPM below this will command a downshift and completely ruin your run. This means any pulls with data below 3500 (at present) should be scrutinized, as it's challenging to be consistent with part throttle pedal application from run to run. It would be VERY easy to make something look like it's delivering much more "torque" than is present - you're simply seeing the operator using a greater percentage of the available torque by variance in pedal how much pedal was applied at that specific RPM, than a true representation of the actual output delta.

We've elected to present only data that shows true back-to-back gains where the operator consistently produces repeatable results (foot to the floor).

I'd also like to reiterate that our goal for this calibration is to retain the ability to safely run 85-94 octane fuels in all environments, including towing to the vehicle's maximum rated capacity. Be mindful of this when considering tuning options for your truck. You may find many require premium fuel, or they were never properly tested in all conditions or towing.

We are.

Testing 3700lb and 6000lb payloads:
366db6f5-7a9b-4a9f-868c-3046b61ab539.jpg
c415322b-f388-4d68-a57d-b68f6845d2e6.jpg

Putting the truck through the ringer:
Elevation profile.jpg

Some data analysis: - Seperate post on this to follow.
MountainTow3700Test1e.jpg

Last edited:

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
I'll be up for this as well. While you're flashing the ECU, you should add the option to change the tire size :)
Sponsored