Sponsored

Pretty sure my transmission is on its way out.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
I’m at 1800 miles my truck with a 3/24 build date. I’m been gradually noticing the trans getting worse. Today it did some hard shifts and some really clunky downshifts. After work it also got caught up between 1-2 gear and really clunked hard kinda jolting the truck . That was just driving out of the parking lot going less then mph. No check engine light or codes yet but I’m preparing myself for it shortly. Sucks but at least I’ll eventually get a new transmission I’m sure. Only disappointing part is having to drive it until it fails. For the guys that got new transmissions how much better was it after? Super smooth with zero clunks or hard shifts?
Sponsored

Plumbers 1st Taco

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 double cab
My journey to a new trans started around that same mileage. Similar symptoms, also repeatedly getting stuck in 6th gear. Unfortunately you are going to have to drive it until it codes, drives progressively worse or fails. Nature of the beast. New transmission shits as designed and operates like when I got the truck new. Around 3400 miles when replaced last week. 3/21 build.

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
My journey to a new trans started around that same mileage. Similar symptoms, also repeatedly getting stuck in 6th gear. Unfortunately you are going to have to drive it until it codes, drives progressively worse or fails. Nature of the beast. New transmission shits as designed and operates like when I got the truck new. Around 3400 miles when replaced last week. 3/21 build.
Yeah I figured lol, without a doubt failing . Really sucks. Every day it’s getting worse

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Did yours shudder during low speeds? That’s another symptom I’m having

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
What’s odd is mine shifts perfectly but it does “shudder” slightly sometimes when coming to a stop. Kind of like a mini lurch forward. I don’t know if that means it will eventually fail. 1700 miles - not worse or better just the same. 8/6 build.

Sponsored

Plumbers 1st Taco

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 double cab
Driving around town was horrible. It would cluck on downshifts. Shudder at low speeds. Hang between gear shifts.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@Gfenza89 It sounds like you are on your way to getting some codes. It seems odd that you don't have any yet with those shifting problems. You are in the strange place of waiting for it to get bad enough to get a new transmission and it sounds like you are getting close. Good luck.

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Driving around town was horrible. It would cluck on downshifts. Shudder at low speeds. Hang between gear shifts.
Exactly what mines doing! Driving slowly through a parking lot especially when cold is basically torture it feels AWFUL , clunks, shifts hard, doesn’t shift, shudders and vibrates enough to shake the truck

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
What’s odd is mine shifts perfectly but it does “shudder” slightly sometimes when coming to a stop. Kind of like a mini lurch forward. I don’t know if that means it will eventually fail. 1700 miles - not worse or better just the same. 8/6 build.
With that late build you should be in the clear

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
@Gfenza89 It sounds like you are on your way to getting some codes. It seems odd that you don't have any yet with those shifting problems. You are in the strange place of waiting for it to get bad enough to get a new transmission and it sounds like you are getting close. Good luck.
Toyota sent me a survey and I filled it out and explained my transmission issues . The more people that speak up maybe the closer to a recall. I’m just dreading the fact of breaking down on the side of the road but I’ve come to expect it at this point. It’s coming. You can barely drive my truck through a parking lot in low gear especially if it’s been sitting for a while .

Sponsored

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Mine had a weird shift today, both times cold. Kinda jerked a little more than normal when shifting to drive from reverse both times. Also got a little hard downshift when moving slowly to a rolling stop. I'm at 7500 with no real prior issues.

I know I'm in the affected range of VINs, so it's definitely a weird spot to be in.

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Mine had a weird shift today, both times cold. Kinda jerked a little more than normal when shifting to drive from reverse both times. Also got a little hard downshift when moving slowly to a rolling stop. I'm at 7500 with no real prior issues.

I know I'm in the affected range of VINs, so it's definitely a weird spot to be in.
Yup… Toyota really needs to open up about this crap.

JWestie

First Name
Rand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma OR
Typical Toyota BS that you have to drive these until the transmissions fail. Imagine getting ready to pull the boat a thousand miles or some other long adventure. Not sure I would even attempt it with a 4th gen under the TSB.

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Typical Toyota BS that you have to drive these until the transmissions fail. Imagine getting ready to pull the boat a thousand miles or some other long adventure. Not sure I would even attempt it with a 4th gen under the TSB.
Pretty concerning