Sponsored

Pretty sure my transmission is on its way out.

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
Maybe so.. but it’s the only symptom.

Should I ask the dealer to flush the transmission?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5

I don’t know but that’s how it starts… I thought the same thing. Who the hell knows what the answer is at this point

-Strike-

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2024 Nissan Z

Most people are saying the best course of action right now is to not even mention the TSB or anything, just to go in and let them know you're experiencing some strange transmission behavior, and have them "look at it" or try and replicate the issue. It'll be logged/recorded, and the more issues that are logged might expedite more action.

It sucks having to potentially drive it until it fails but that's where we're at right now unfortunately

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
Most people are saying the best course of action right now is to not even mention the TSB or anything, just to go in and let them know you're experiencing some strange transmission behavior, and have them "look at it" or try and replicate the issue. It'll be logged/recorded, and the more issues that are logged might expedite more action
I’ll do that when I change the oil for break-in at around 2,000 miles. That way I’ll have a record of it on file. I won’t push it too hard and let it play out. I’ve got the extra care warranty out to 125K miles.

-Strike-

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2024 Nissan Z
I’ll do that when I change the oil for break-in at around 2,000 miles. That way I’ll have a record of it on file. I won’t push it too hard and let it play out. I’ve got the extra care warranty out to 125K miles.
I think we'll all be taken care of in the long run, it sucks its showing it's ugly face at random, the issue I believe is still in quite it's infancy stage and I bet they're still trying to sort everything out that's why for right now the TSB basically says no f'ing around just replace any that fail.

A transmission flush could help but if there's already debris circulation through the system it's only a matter of time before something ultimately gets jammed up lol

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@tacorancher is your truck in the VIN range for the TSB? If it isn't, there are trucks not covered by the TSB with transmission issues. That would be bad news for owners and for Toyota.

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
I think we'll all be taken care of in the long run, it sucks its showing it's ugly face at random, the issue I believe is still in quite it's infancy stage and I bet they're still trying to sort everything out that's why for right now the TSB basically says no f'ing around just replace any that fail.

A transmission flush could help but if there's already debris circulation through the system it's only a matter of time before something ultimately gets jammed up lol
Right and I would rather it fail and get a new one.

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
@tacorancher is your truck in the VIN range for the TSB? If it isn't, there are trucks not covered by the TSB with transmission issues. That would be bad news for owners and for Toyota.
Correct. And that’s well known. I’ve got a trailhunter which isn’t covered (no hybrids are covered). Some pros have had issues too. I’m not convinced yet that mine has a problem but we shall see.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro

Good points and although this worries a lot of owners, I agree that Toyota will take care of us in the long run.

Here is something that has not been discussed a lot. In one transmission replacement the dealer also replaced the radiator. Their service manager said that if debris is in the transmission it is in the oil cooler, which makes sense.

But the TSB only calls for replacing the torque converter and the transmission and I know of one case where the second transmission also failed. It makes you wonder if that will be the case for more replacement transmissions.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Correct. And that’s well known. I’ve got a trailhunter which isn’t covered (no hybrids are covered). Some pros have had issues too. I’m not convinced yet that mine has a problem but we shall see.
OK - more bad news. I didn't know that there weren't any hybrids included in the TSB and there have been multiple transmission failures in Pros, one at 342 freaking miles. My Pro is fine but it is almost new, so I am starting to wonder when it might fail.

I am thinking that Toyota needs to be sorting this out and doing a recall like they had to do with the Tundra engines. They obviously have not yet figured out which trucks will fail.

Sponsored

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
Good points and although this worries a lot of owners, I agree that Toyota will take care of us in the long run.

Here is something that has not been discussed a lot. In one transmission replacement the dealer also replaced the radiator. Their service manager said that if debris is in the transmission it is in the oil cooler, which makes sense.

But the TSB only calls for replacing the torque converter and the transmission and I know of one case where the second transmission also failed. It makes you wonder if that will be the case for more replacement transmissions.

More reason to take it slow (for me) so they know exactly how to fix it.

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
OK - more bad news. I didn't know that there weren't any hybrids included in the TSB and there have been multiple transmission failures in Pros, one at 342 freaking miles. My Pro is fine but it is almost new, so I am starting to wonder when it might fail.

I am thinking that Toyota needs to be sorting this out and doing a recall like they had to do with the Tundra engines. They obviously have not yet figured out what trucks will fail.
I spent a fortune on a halo model too. But I’m going to be patient so that I get a proper fix if I need a fix.

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
A kinda the reason I’m hesitant on taking mine in right now, I’m hoping it holds out until Toyota completely figures out what’s going on and there is a official beyond doubt fix