Stuck in Trailer Driving Assist Mode

hogshooter

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited 4x4
I towed my utility trailer for the first time yesterday ,and had zero problems setting up the trailer. Last night, I disconnected the trailer, but the truck still thinks a trailer is attached has has disabled some safety sensors.

I've tried manually deselecting the trailer, and it's still in trailer mode. How do I get it out of that mode?

2024 Tacoma Stuck in Trailer Driving Assist Mode IMG_2247
2024 Tacoma Stuck in Trailer Driving Assist Mode IMG_2248
Sponsored

Sagebrush

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
Did you disconnect with the engine off? If so, you should have received a message asking if you'd disconnected, and of course, you need to select YES.

Rehitch and go through that sequence.

OP
OP

hogshooter

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited 4x4
Did you disconnect with the engine off? If so, you should have received a message asking if you'd disconnected, and of course, you need to select YES.

Rehitch and go through that sequence.
I originally disconnected with the truck running, and never got the disconnected question. I reconnected to the trailer, drive about 400 feet, and it finally asked if a trailer was connected. I answered NO and it went back to normal, even though a trailer was connected.

john877

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
I had this happen to me. What a pain in the ass. Definitely a software bug. I did what the above posts state and was finally able to get it out of the mode.

Both of my trailers don't have brakes (light duty boat and a utility trailer). From now on if it asks if a trailer was connected I'll answer "No". Then turn off the back up alert so brakes aren't applied while backing up.

OP
OP

hogshooter

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited 4x4
to update this thread, I'm stuck in trailer mode again. Tried everything, disconnecting the trailer while off, reconnecting it while on, driving with the trailer attached until the pop up appears (it hasn't appeared yet). I'm about ready to write an angry email to Toyota asking for a way to turn off trailer assist from the menu.

Sponsored

Hannzie

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
to update this thread, I'm stuck in trailer mode again. Tried everything, disconnecting the trailer while off, reconnecting it while on, driving with the trailer attached until the pop up appears (it hasn't appeared yet). I'm about ready to write an angry email to Toyota asking for a way to turn off trailer assist from the menu.
Today it happened to me as well. Can’t get it off. My main concern is the lack of sensors. Anyone have their dealer find a fix?

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
This is definitely a bug and I believe has to do with the 4 pin plug. So, this is what I do. I back up the trailer, unhook, and remove the ball. Then I drive away far enough for the camera to no longer see the trailer. Back up to the trailer (don't reconnec) , turn off the car, turn it on again and drive away. It takes a few minutes and turns and it will ask you if the trailer is disconnected. This has worked for me every time. As soon as I get some time I'm going to change it out for a 7 pin. Some have said this fixes the issue.

Flyfish007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
Ive towed my boat 5 times so far and I never have to do any of that. I just disconnect it and after about 50' it asks if the trailer is disconnected and I select yes.

OP
OP

hogshooter

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited 4x4
This is definitely a bug and I believe has to do with the 4 pin plug. So, this is what I do. I back up the trailer, unhook, and remove the ball. Then I drive away far enough for the camera to no longer see the trailer. Back up to the trailer (don't reconnec) , turn off the car, turn it on again and drive away. It takes a few minutes and turns and it will ask you if the trailer is disconnected. This has worked for me every time. As soon as I get some time I'm going to change it out for a 7 pin. Some have said this fixes the issue.
I've been using a 7 pin, and it still does it to me.
Sponsored