Sponsored

Protecting your turbo - turning off the motor

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
There is a less than 0% chance Toyota did not account for this in the design.

I dont know the source of this but would assume thats accurate.

Electric pump circulates coolant; hybrids run the engine fans near constantly when the engine is not running, likely to account for turbo and engine cooling with the start-stops.

Since there is nothing (that I’ve seen so far) in the hybrid owner’s manual, this is likely your answer in the previous responses. Cheers!

(Older diesel engines, especiallly heavier trucks and equipment, certainly needed this cool down period for the turbo, eg: a semi or a dozer. But this is generally accounted for or protected against by automatic systems in modern passenger cars.)
https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/threads/t24a-fts-engine-detailed-tech-specs.6749/

ChrisWhaaaat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Trailhunter, 2018 4runner limited/turned off-road, 1977 FJ45
It never ceases to amaze me how some people can be so bold and asshole-like on social media.
The question is about hybrid engines turning off and whether the turbo still cools In that scenario With the engine having shut itself off. There is no ‘idle for a minute when you get off the highway’. The computer is deciding when the engine does or does not run, even during a drive cycle. Nothing about warming up. You’re the one who came in with “it’s a simple thing“ implying stupidity of the question yet you didn’t understand the truck shutting off. You’re the asshole.
All I said was you didn’t read the thread, and ‘nice’ because you implied it was simple. But way to get upset. You caused that.

ChrisWhaaaat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Trailhunter, 2018 4runner limited/turned off-road, 1977 FJ45

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
I have read that you should idle for a minute before turning off your motor, especially after heavy load, to let the oil in the turbo drain out fully so it doesn’t cook inside the turbo. When it cooks in there and cannot drain, the oil loses life and the turbo can get clogged over time by coked oil. This all leads to a shorter life for the turbo. Is this true? If it is, how does this work exactly? Because when I idle my engine is already shut off automatically by the ECU as I drive a hybrid. Car care nut says to do this so it must be true, but I want to understand the idling part.
so…yea the iForceMax will shut the engine down and run fans etc automatically in the background but you can technically shut down all power to the truck and kill those fans and pumps that are cooling those systems.
I guess you could call it ‘sit in the truck for a minute before killing power.’

I don’t recall a scenario where I killed power to the truck and heard fans and pumps running (although I have heard a few weird motor noises several minutes after killing power). Kinda odd, but maybe there are critical involuntary systems at play to cool the turbo if you kill power in the hybrids.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dalingrin

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trailhunter
Turbos might be new to you but they certainly aren’t new to the automotive industry. Stop worrying about it.

If you’re driving 100mph for hours then immediately stop and turn off the engine then yeah, that’s probably not amazing for the truck. Generally speaking, people don’t just immediately come to a stop though. They get off an exit ramp, come to a stop or at least a yield, and pull into a parking lot, etc. During all that time off the highway your turbo is cooling down, there’s no need to come to a stop and sit in your truck for a minute before you turn it off.

crepr12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
hmmmn...I got over 122K in turbo cars in the last 10 years various makes...I think its a non issue even with the hybrid systems shutting down the engine....

OP
OP
tacorancher

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
so…yea the iForceMax will shut the engine down and run fans etc automatically in the background but you can technically shut down all power to the truck and kill those fans and pumps that are cooling those systems.
I guess you could call it ‘sit in the truck for a minute before killing power.’

I don’t recall a scenario where I killed power to the truck and heard fans and pumps running (although I have heard a few weird motor noises several minutes after killing power). Kinda odd, but maybe there are critical involuntary systems at play to cool the turbo if you kill power in the hybrids.

Makes sense wand will test
Sponsored