Sponsored

Protecting your turbo - turning off the motor

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
Turbos might be new to you but they certainly aren’t new to the automotive industry. Stop worrying about it.

If you’re driving 100mph for hours then immediately stop and turn off the engine then yeah, that’s probably not amazing for the truck. Generally speaking, people don’t just immediately come to a stop though. They get off an exit ramp, come to a stop or at least a yield, and pull into a parking lot, etc. During all that time off the highway your turbo is cooling down, there’s no need to come to a stop and sit in your truck for a minute before you turn it off.
eh, no one is worrying about it, boss. But OP has a valid question. engine break-in has rules too, there's do's & don'ts to extend part & engine longevity. Reading a manual might be new to you but many of us own these trucks and don't lease. So we give a shit about details
Sponsored

OP
OP
tacorancher

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
eh, no one is worrying about it, boss. But OP has a valid question. engine break-in has rules too, there's do's & don'ts to extend part & engine longevity. Reading a manual might be new to you but many of us own these trucks and don't lease. So we give a shit about details

Right. Not worried at all. I just enjoy understanding and properly caring for my vehicles. It’s part of the experience for me.

OP
OP
tacorancher

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
This diagram is accurate for a liquid cooled intercooler. Are you stating that the Tacoma utilizes a liquid cooled intercooler?
I’m ignorant on how turbo systems are typically cooled (both the compressed air being routed to the engine and the turbo itself). Is this setup typical? Inter cooler plus separate radiator? Pros/ cons to it?

Unrelated- is the trans fluid cooled by the engine’s radiator?
Sponsored