Sponsored

New automatic transmission tsb to now include hybrid.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I just ran the kissmygrits sheet and there are 345 hybrids sitting on the lots right now that are affected. Total of all trucks is 5080.
The part of this that I don't understand is why did Toyota continue to build trucks when they knew that the transmissions might fail? This problem came up and was diagnosed months ago and yet the are still stuffing them into trucks right into the fall. Obviously Toyota quality is no longer what it used to be.

They have essentially created reliability concerns for all of the 2024 Tacomas. I doubt that these trucks will have the huge retained value that my Tundra had when I traded it in.

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
The part of this that I don't understand is why did Toyota continue to build trucks when they knew that the transmissions might fail? This problem came up and was diagnosed months ago and yet the are still stuffing them into trucks right into the fall. Obviously Toyota quality is no longer what it used to be.

They have essentially created reliability concerns for all of the 2024 Tacomas. I doubt that these trucks will have the huge retained value that my Tundra had when I traded it in.
I think that they believe they will make more money in the long run if they fix this problem on the back end, if and when transmissions fail. Issue is that their reputation is taking a big fucking pop right now. And that will cost them more.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I think that they believe they will make more money in the long run if they fix this problem on the back end, if and when transmissions fail. Issue is that their reputation is taking a big fucking pop right now. And that will cost them more.
I agree. This is a cost saving way to get through their latest quality cluster fuck, but in the long run the damage to their reputation is going to cost them big time.

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Limited iForce Max

If you get rid of it within 3 to 5 years, the depreciation curve will likely flatten out after that. However, if Toyota comes up with a suitable solution to all of this, it probably won’t matter.

Sponsored

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
I still believe my truck will last a long time and even if the trans fails, toyota will fix it. Watch this video to listen to car care nut talk about recent quality issues at Toyota:

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
I agree. This is a cost saving way to get through their latest quality cluster fuck, but in the long run the damage to their reputation is going to cost them big time.
Just dropped mine off, service manager said they had 1 come in right off the truck wouldn’t move at all through the parking lot. He says it’s the only one they’ve seen so far. Wish me luck man I’m dreading the phone call tomorrow and if my history with Toyotas service departments goes the typical way I already know my answer but we shall see..,

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Just dropped mine off, service manager said they had 1 come in right off the truck wouldn’t move at all through the parking lot. He says it’s the only one they’ve seen so far. Wish me luck man I’m dreading the phone call tomorrow and if my history with Toyotas service departments goes the typical way I already know my answer but we shall see..,
Wow - a dead transmission before it even came off the truck - that must set a new record. I thought that 342 miles was bad.

Good luck tomorrow and I hope they can do something for you. It seems like your truck definitely has serious issues, but from reading the TSB it looks like one of the solenoids has get stuck before it throws a code, no matter how bad it shifts.

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Wow - a dead transmission before it even came off the truck - that must set a new record. I thought that 342 miles was bad.

Good luck tomorrow and I hope they can do something for you. It seems like your truck definitely has serious issues, but from reading the TSB it looks like one of the solenoids has get stuck before it throws a code, no matter how bad it shifts.
Yeah I know, that blew me away hearing that and yes he basically told me we’ll review the tsb, drive your truck and go from there. I requested the shop foreman who has worked there for 20 years and is a good tech

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I still believe my truck will last a long time and even if the trans fails, toyota will fix it. Watch this video to listen to car care nut talk about recent quality issues at Toyota:
First off, I'm not defending anyone, but people put too much credence in what this guy says. This video is strictly his opinion; he's keeps referring to "the way things were." I'm sure he's an excellent mechanic, but he's not an engineer or a marketer, and he clearly doesn't understand how the dealer franchise system works. Yes, it would be great to go back to simpler times, but that's not going to happen if you want to stay in business. Toyota and everyone else have to respond to market forces, government regulations, and consumer demands.

Do vehicles cost too much? Absolutely. Do people neglect their vehicles? Of course. Why is this? For one, labor rates are insane. Dealers are charging upwards of $200 per hour with no guarantees that the problem will be fixed. The independent chain I used to work for is up to $160. I ran the numbers: $1,100 for a four-wheel brake job, with their cost around $300, depending on the application. The same goes for tires. While the markup isn't as bad, the cost is still high, especially without paying for the lifetime warranty package, which adds even more to the price and is pure profit. Just another form of insurance.

It's a vicious circle. If you want to retain good people, you need to pay them well; otherwise, they'll find someone who will. To pay them, you have to charge for parts and labor at a rate that covers all the costs associated with running your business while still making a profit.

Why are we at this point? Well, I could go one but that's a discussion beyond the scope of this forum.

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I agree about his videos. If I believed everything he says I would never have bought a Pro. He has some good perspective to share, but often it is just his opinion. I find it hard to believe that a mechanic knows more about designing vehicles than the world's largest manufacturer. The gimmicks that he says are ruining Toyota are really just them keeping pace with everyone - both in features and in price.

He makes a good point about how Toyota stands behind their products. When my Tundra was almost 5 years old the bed floor rusted through. Toyota had tried sealing the areas where hangers and such were welded to the bed. That trapped water and caused rust through from below. They issued a TSB for that and they replaced and painted my bed at no charge to me. I think the invoice for the work was over $10k. All car/truck companies make mistakes, but Toyota stands behind their products to an unusual degree. That is why I am not in a panic about my transmission. I wish it was not at risk, but I know they will take care of the problem.

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree about his videos. If I believed everything he says I would never have bought a Pro. He has some good perspective to share, but often it is just his opinion. I find it hard to believe that a mechanic knows more about designing vehicles than the world's largest manufacturer. The gimmicks that he says are ruining Toyota are really just them keeping pace with everyone - both in features and in price.

He makes a good point about how Toyota stands behind their products. When my Tundra was almost 5 years old the bed floor rusted through. Toyota had tried sealing the areas where hangers and such were welded to the bed. That trapped water and caused rust through from below. They issued a TSB for that and they replaced and painted my bed at no charge to me. I think the invoice for the work was over $10k. All car/truck companies make mistakes, but Toyota stands behind their products to an unusual degree. That is why I am not in a panic about my transmission. I wish it was not at risk, but I know they will take care of the problem.
Same here; I've never considered not buying my Tacoma. I guess fate intervened, and I'm hoping that my 11/18/24 build won't be part of the TSB. What finally turned me off about him was his Pro review. The truck he reviewed was a pre-production version, which won't measure up to the final production model, yet he still commented on things like sloppy welds and other issues. Whatever—he's got the subscribers and will continue to do well regardless.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I guess fate intervened, and I'm hoping that my 11/18/24 build won't be part of the TSB.
I think you have a good shot at avoiding the transmission mess with a mid November build. If that is the case it might have been worth the wait.

Do you know if your truck will be a 2025?

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you have a good shot at avoiding the transmission mess with a mid November build. If that is the case it might have been worth the wait.

Do you know if your truck will be a 2025?
2024 and I hope it stays that way. If I register it in 2025, as it's looking, it'll save me a ton on taxes.

Rick97

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep compass Trailhawk, Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk V6
I will have My TRDoff road hybride first week of décember ( I live in Canada) I hope it was built after those VIN. When did they stop building Tacoma with transmission issue?
Sponsored