Paint chip repair for hood of TRD PRO

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Does it overlap with the factory ppf below?
On my truck they removed the existing PPF on the sides, which was great but far too small for everywhere those tires can throw rocks. I drove it in the mud and it sprayed mud down the entire side, up to the windows, which is why I cover all of that. A bit insane, I know, but I feel better knowing that my paint is protected.
Sponsored

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
On my truck they removed the existing PPF on the sides, which was great but far too small for everywhere those tires can throw rocks. I drove it in the mud and it sprayed mud down the entire side, up to the windows, which is why I cover all of that. A bit insane, I know, but I feel better knowing that my paint is protected.
Ok I see the factory ppf at the every bottom which has me confused how this was applied

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Ok I see the factory ppf at the every bottom which has me confused how this was applied
Yep - that is something Toyota has done for a long time. But it should be larger for our trucks IMO..

The detailer didn't think it was worth keeping that and removed it so he could get a clean sheet of PPF on the entire fender.

Last edited:

SilverSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
This is just a fail, imo, that you all are paying an extra 3k or more to make up for the fact that Toyota paint is $h!t on a 65k+ trim. Toyota should ship it with full ppf for that price.

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
Yep - that is something Toyota has done for a long time. But it should be larger for our trucks IMO..

The detailer didn't think it was worth keeping that and removed it so he could get a clean sheet of PPF on the entire fender.

Sorry I’m not being super clear - I’m confused because I see the new ppf at the top and the old ppf at the bottom .. how are they in the same picture at the same time

Sponsored

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
This is just a fail, imo, that you all are paying an extra 3k or more to make up for the fact that Toyota paint is $h!t on a 65k+ trim. Toyota should ship it with full ppf for that price.
It’s not the paint. The bed and fenders just stick out a lot. Don’t troll, my man. None of us have any patience for it here. Head to Tacomaworld if you want to do that. We’re trying to keep it positive.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I'm not sure what you base that on. I don't know of any car or truck that comes with full PPF from the factory. There was an $150k Porsche 718 GT4 RS getting full PPF when I picked up my truck.

Every vehicle I have ever owned eventually got stone chips and I don't find Toyota paint to be worse than other brands. Maybe you should have bought something else.

A lot people online are whining about the price of new Toyotas and at the same time complaining that they don't have every possible option included.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Sorry I’m not being super clear - I’m confused because I see the new ppf at the top and the old ppf at the bottom .. how are they in the same picture at the same time
I think that @Desertrunner applied some additional PPF himself to increase the protection. On my truck the factory PPF was removed and the whole rear fender was covered.

I usually keep my trucks for a long time (almost 14 years on my Tundra) and I don't want to deal with chips if possible. The PPF means that particular headache is behind me. Now if there was a fix for the transmissions I would be set.

SilverSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
One man’s opinion, it’s all good. Did not mean to ruffle your feathers. there’s a few brands out there that offer factory ppf. Not sure why or how you equate my opinion on paint as an indicator I’m unhappy with options or the truck overall, but whatever, it’s the internets. All good.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
One man’s opinion, it’s all good. Did not mean to ruffle your feathers. there’s a few brands out there that offer factory ppf. Not sure why or how you equate my opinion on paint as an indicator I’m unhappy with options or the truck overall, but whatever, it’s the internets. All good.
Yes - there are factory packages for PPF for various body parts, but they are additional charges in my experience. They are precut and don't cover the entire panel like a good detailed will, so they are usually cheaper. My focus is getting the best result, not saving a nickel on an expensive truck.

Not trying to start an argument but I moderate another 4th gen forum and it I see over reactions all the time. Someone joins and posts about a single complaint and then says all Toyota trucks are junk and they hate theirs. When I ask for more details they often admit that it is just the one issue they are upset about and that they actually like their trucks.

A good forum lets us address individual problems and help each other solve issues. Tacoma World is full of people who live just to dis Toyota products and I never read it. If people think Toyota trucks are trash they should shop elsewhere IMO.

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
I think that @Desertrunner applied some additional PPF himself to increase the protection. On my truck the factory PPF was removed and the whole rear fender was covered.

I usually keep my trucks for a long time (almost 14 years on my Tundra) and I don't want to deal with chips if possible. The PPF means that particular headache is behind me. Now if there was a fix for the transmissions I would be set.
I mixed you up with @Desertrunner

My ppf guy took off the factory ppf but just didn’t go up high enough (miscommunication maybe) — I’ll be back so he can add another piece above it
Sponsored