Sponsored

Question for GFC and Lonepeak owners

jaslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Trailhunter Long Bed
I've been going back and forth between the 2 options and thought I'd ask current owners in this community to share some real world experiences, your considerations when you made your decision, and maybe help with some questions.

My use case:
  • TH long bed
  • Truck is my daily driver and also need it to still be able to do the occasional truck things
  • Just me and the wife, maybe a kid in the future
  • Weekend camper primarily, usually last minute spontaneous
  • Maybe longer (1-2 week) trips once or twice a year
  • Dreaming of a proverbial "screw you" to my corporate job for a year to go explore, so scalability is a factor
  • Came from gen 2 DCLB with a Snugtop shell that we camped in regularly, occasionally switching to ground tents when we had friends along or just wanted more space to stretch out

Main considerations (somewhat in order of importance) and a question:
  • Weight - the GFC is "significantly" lighter which means I can probably get away with stock springs for awhile with added benefits of less impact to fuel efficiency and payload.
  • Fold down cab window - I really liked the fold down windows in my Snugtop to pass through things to/from the cab, and helped when carrying longer loads like lumber. I haven't found any good solutions for the GFC in my research and it's an option on the LP. I know some folks mentioned the potential for another water intrusion or just general failure point, but the benefits outweigh the risk for me.
  • Factory options/scalability - LP hands down has more options like vent fan, prewire solar connections, diesel heater port, etc. which will help. Not unsolvable in a GFC, just requires a lot more DIY in the future.
  • Height - LP seems taller than the GFC in side by side picture comparison (I couldn't find actual specs). The TH is already tall, giving me concerns over clearance for certain situations like parking garages, especially a problem in the Bay Area where I'm located.
  • Length - LP has more space and doesn't require gymnastics or a round of Tetris to go up and down, but overhangs the cab more. We're both 5'8" and didn't have too much issue with 2 adults + 2 small dogs in just the 6' bed previously, so not sure GFC would be that much of a problem.
  • Lead time - both seem to be around the Jan/Feb timeframe at this point, but it seems LP experiences delays (not sure that's still true) vs GFC have it down to a science
  • Cost - LP starts cheaper, but by the time all the options I'm interested in are added they're about the same
  • Question - how'much noise and drag do you get from the extra overhang? Would one be better or worse than the other?
  • Any other considerations I haven't thought of?

At the end of the day I know I'll have to balance the tradeoffs, decide based on my use case, and I'm probably overthinking it. Really appreciate any insight folks can provide - can't replace real experience...
Sponsored

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
I've been going back and forth between the 2 options and thought I'd ask current owners in this community to share some real world experiences, your considerations when you made your decision, and maybe help with some questions.

My use case:
  • TH long bed
  • Truck is my daily driver and also need it to still be able to do the occasional truck things
  • Just me and the wife, maybe a kid in the future
  • Weekend camper primarily, usually last minute spontaneous
  • Maybe longer (1-2 week) trips once or twice a year
  • Dreaming of a proverbial "screw you" to my corporate job for a year to go explore, so scalability is a factor
  • Came from gen 2 DCLB with a Snugtop shell that we camped in regularly, occasionally switching to ground tents when we had friends along or just wanted more space to stretch out

Main considerations (somewhat in order of importance) and a question:
  • Weight - the GFC is "significantly" lighter which means I can probably get away with stock springs for awhile with added benefits of less impact to fuel efficiency and payload.
  • Fold down cab window - I really liked the fold down windows in my Snugtop to pass through things to/from the cab, and helped when carrying longer loads like lumber. I haven't found any good solutions for the GFC in my research and it's an option on the LP. I know some folks mentioned the potential for another water intrusion or just general failure point, but the benefits outweigh the risk for me.
  • Factory options/scalability - LP hands down has more options like vent fan, prewire solar connections, diesel heater port, etc. which will help. Not unsolvable in a GFC, just requires a lot more DIY in the future.
  • Height - LP seems taller than the GFC in side by side picture comparison (I couldn't find actual specs). The TH is already tall, giving me concerns over clearance for certain situations like parking garages, especially a problem in the Bay Area where I'm located.
  • Length - LP has more space and doesn't require gymnastics or a round of Tetris to go up and down, but overhangs the cab more. We're both 5'8" and didn't have too much issue with 2 adults + 2 small dogs in just the 6' bed previously, so not sure GFC would be that much of a problem.
  • Lead time - both seem to be around the Jan/Feb timeframe at this point, but it seems LP experiences delays (not sure that's still true) vs GFC have it down to a science
  • Cost - LP starts cheaper, but by the time all the options I'm interested in are added they're about the same
  • Question - how'much noise and drag do you get from the extra overhang? Would one be better or worse than the other?
  • Any other considerations I haven't thought of?

At the end of the day I know I'll have to balance the tradeoffs, decide based on my use case, and I'm probably overthinking it. Really appreciate any insight folks can provide - can't replace real experience...
I remain undecided on the tent/wedge toppers but am getting to 4000 miles with diverse use now. Even using my pickup a TRD OR off road fairly often I would not want larger or less road friendly wheels and tires setup so you mentioning daily driver stands out. I'm not meaning this as Trail Hunter as a poor choice but that very large A/T tires will not be great for most of your use.

The other matter for my still undecided about which tent topper and if at all is the weight and a gen 4 with coil springs. I've done enough driving with sizable payload to think I'd be looking at rear spring modifications if I always or mostly had 400 - 500+ pounds in back.

You also brought up wind noise. Noise in general is one where I mentioned the tire situation, and from past toppers and carry I know that can be an issue tool. Someone I've met locally with a GFC and bigger A/T tires is overall happy but said it all compromises his pickup as a daily driver but in his case the pickup doesn't have to be a daily driver. He's a truly high earner and just uses his setup for off road sport or days he does shopping and errands to throw stuff in back.

Whatever you decide, I'll look forward to knowing more about the results. As I delay gratification and think about this I'll point out I've been very happy with a Fas-Top in the meanwhile, and part of my delay is about winter and ski travel where waking up in a hotel room is nice when all around you is frozen. FWIW, Harker EXO with optional top is in my list too.

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
I can’t speak to all of your questions as I don’t have all the elements yet (since I haven’t taken delivery yet etc) but I will say this ~ if you’re going to use it as a daily driver think about your tires too. I wouldn’t go above a 33” esp if you want E load tires. I’m basically in the same boat as you: TH long bed + a wedge of some flavor. I went with lone peak largely due to their customer service being amazing + single hand operation for the side doors since the primary function for me will be locking dry storage for work gak + I genuinely think they have a better product than GFC. You can’t store bedding in a GFC. You can in a LP. Blackout fabric in an LP vs not in a GFC. Pass through space in the LP vs floor Tetris in an GFC. Etc.

the lone peak is 8” tall above your shark fin if that helps. I think the TH is 75.5” stock height? Maybe 76”? You should be able to just eke out 7’ if you don’t do something like a roof fan or change your springs or tires etc. i think the GFC is a smidge shorter but at the expense of storing bedding etc.

I live in a major city too and I’ve just accepted I’m only going in garages 7’6” or higher lol. I dunno. For me that’s a fine trade off but everyone has different requirements.
Sponsored