Sponsored

Question for GFC and Lonepeak owners

jaslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Trailhunter Long Bed
I've been going back and forth between the 2 options and thought I'd ask current owners in this community to share some real world experiences, your considerations when you made your decision, and maybe help with some questions.

My use case:
  • TH long bed
  • Truck is my daily driver and also need it to still be able to do the occasional truck things
  • Just me and the wife, maybe a kid in the future
  • Weekend camper primarily, usually last minute spontaneous
  • Maybe longer (1-2 week) trips once or twice a year
  • Dreaming of a proverbial "screw you" to my corporate job for a year to go explore, so scalability is a factor
  • Came from gen 2 DCLB with a Snugtop shell that we camped in regularly, occasionally switching to ground tents when we had friends along or just wanted more space to stretch out

Main considerations (somewhat in order of importance) and a question:
  • Weight - the GFC is "significantly" lighter which means I can probably get away with stock springs for awhile with added benefits of less impact to fuel efficiency and payload.
  • Fold down cab window - I really liked the fold down windows in my Snugtop to pass through things to/from the cab, and helped when carrying longer loads like lumber. I haven't found any good solutions for the GFC in my research and it's an option on the LP. I know some folks mentioned the potential for another water intrusion or just general failure point, but the benefits outweigh the risk for me.
  • Factory options/scalability - LP hands down has more options like vent fan, prewire solar connections, diesel heater port, etc. which will help. Not unsolvable in a GFC, just requires a lot more DIY in the future.
  • Height - LP seems taller than the GFC in side by side picture comparison (I couldn't find actual specs). The TH is already tall, giving me concerns over clearance for certain situations like parking garages, especially a problem in the Bay Area where I'm located.
  • Length - LP has more space and doesn't require gymnastics or a round of Tetris to go up and down, but overhangs the cab more. We're both 5'8" and didn't have too much issue with 2 adults + 2 small dogs in just the 6' bed previously, so not sure GFC would be that much of a problem.
  • Lead time - both seem to be around the Jan/Feb timeframe at this point, but it seems LP experiences delays (not sure that's still true) vs GFC have it down to a science
  • Cost - LP starts cheaper, but by the time all the options I'm interested in are added they're about the same
  • Question - how'much noise and drag do you get from the extra overhang? Would one be better or worse than the other?
  • Any other considerations I haven't thought of?

At the end of the day I know I'll have to balance the tradeoffs, decide based on my use case, and I'm probably overthinking it. Really appreciate any insight folks can provide - can't replace real experience...
Sponsored

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
I've been going back and forth between the 2 options and thought I'd ask current owners in this community to share some real world experiences, your considerations when you made your decision, and maybe help with some questions.

My use case:
  • TH long bed
  • Truck is my daily driver and also need it to still be able to do the occasional truck things
  • Just me and the wife, maybe a kid in the future
  • Weekend camper primarily, usually last minute spontaneous
  • Maybe longer (1-2 week) trips once or twice a year
  • Dreaming of a proverbial "screw you" to my corporate job for a year to go explore, so scalability is a factor
  • Came from gen 2 DCLB with a Snugtop shell that we camped in regularly, occasionally switching to ground tents when we had friends along or just wanted more space to stretch out

Main considerations (somewhat in order of importance) and a question:
  • Weight - the GFC is "significantly" lighter which means I can probably get away with stock springs for awhile with added benefits of less impact to fuel efficiency and payload.
  • Fold down cab window - I really liked the fold down windows in my Snugtop to pass through things to/from the cab, and helped when carrying longer loads like lumber. I haven't found any good solutions for the GFC in my research and it's an option on the LP. I know some folks mentioned the potential for another water intrusion or just general failure point, but the benefits outweigh the risk for me.
  • Factory options/scalability - LP hands down has more options like vent fan, prewire solar connections, diesel heater port, etc. which will help. Not unsolvable in a GFC, just requires a lot more DIY in the future.
  • Height - LP seems taller than the GFC in side by side picture comparison (I couldn't find actual specs). The TH is already tall, giving me concerns over clearance for certain situations like parking garages, especially a problem in the Bay Area where I'm located.
  • Length - LP has more space and doesn't require gymnastics or a round of Tetris to go up and down, but overhangs the cab more. We're both 5'8" and didn't have too much issue with 2 adults + 2 small dogs in just the 6' bed previously, so not sure GFC would be that much of a problem.
  • Lead time - both seem to be around the Jan/Feb timeframe at this point, but it seems LP experiences delays (not sure that's still true) vs GFC have it down to a science
  • Cost - LP starts cheaper, but by the time all the options I'm interested in are added they're about the same
  • Question - how'much noise and drag do you get from the extra overhang? Would one be better or worse than the other?
  • Any other considerations I haven't thought of?

At the end of the day I know I'll have to balance the tradeoffs, decide based on my use case, and I'm probably overthinking it. Really appreciate any insight folks can provide - can't replace real experience...
I remain undecided on the tent/wedge toppers but am getting to 4000 miles with diverse use now. Even using my pickup a TRD OR off road fairly often I would not want larger or less road friendly wheels and tires setup so you mentioning daily driver stands out. I'm not meaning this as Trail Hunter as a poor choice but that very large A/T tires will not be great for most of your use.

The other matter for my still undecided about which tent topper and if at all is the weight and a gen 4 with coil springs. I've done enough driving with sizable payload to think I'd be looking at rear spring modifications if I always or mostly had 400 - 500+ pounds in back.

You also brought up wind noise. Noise in general is one where I mentioned the tire situation, and from past toppers and carry I know that can be an issue tool. Someone I've met locally with a GFC and bigger A/T tires is overall happy but said it all compromises his pickup as a daily driver but in his case the pickup doesn't have to be a daily driver. He's a truly high earner and just uses his setup for off road sport or days he does shopping and errands to throw stuff in back.

Whatever you decide, I'll look forward to knowing more about the results. As I delay gratification and think about this I'll point out I've been very happy with a Fas-Top in the meanwhile, and part of my delay is about winter and ski travel where waking up in a hotel room is nice when all around you is frozen. FWIW, Harker EXO with optional top is in my list too.

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
I canā€™t speak to all of your questions as I donā€™t have all the elements yet (since I havenā€™t taken delivery yet etc) but I will say this ~ if youā€™re going to use it as a daily driver think about your tires too. I wouldnā€™t go above a 33ā€ esp if you want E load tires. Iā€™m basically in the same boat as you: TH long bed + a wedge of some flavor. I went with lone peak largely due to their customer service being amazing + single hand operation for the side doors since the primary function for me will be locking dry storage for work gak + I genuinely think they have a better product than GFC. You canā€™t store bedding in a GFC. You can in a LP. Blackout fabric in an LP vs not in a GFC. Pass through space in the LP vs floor Tetris in an GFC. Etc.

the lone peak is 8ā€ tall above your shark fin if that helps. I think the TH is 75.5ā€ stock height? Maybe 76ā€? You should be able to just eke out 7ā€™ if you donā€™t do something like a roof fan or change your springs or tires etc. i think the GFC is a smidge shorter but at the expense of storing bedding etc.

I live in a major city too and Iā€™ve just accepted Iā€™m only going in garages 7ā€™6ā€ or higher lol. I dunno. For me thatā€™s a fine trade off but everyone has different requirements.

OP
OP

jaslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Trailhunter Long Bed
Thank you both for thoughtful responses. I do recognize the TH and 32"+ A/T tires aren't the greatest daily driver choice. Coming from a gen 2 with off-road tires less all the gen 4 improvements, and a Chevy Express conversion van before that, this combination is still a significant improvement and acceptable in my definition of daily driver though. I also don't intend to mod my wheels/tires - pretty happy with stock.

My daily driver consideration is really I want to minimize excessive "permanent" mods to the point of being a broverlander 24/7/365 (no offense to people who choose to) and not be able to use the truck for anything other than going outdoors. That said - I do have motorcycles and wife's sedan as backup.

Wind/Road Noise - I'm really impressed by the acoustic glass and active noise cancellation in cab with the gen 4. Don't have a problem with noise now. I however have a mental image that the wedge overhang will act like a massive scoop and just catch a ton of wind, so curious how true that is.

@bitflogger I considered the stepping stone solution of FasTop, some RTT, some hardshell camper shell (again), but know my target is a wedge camper so keen to skip the hassle of 2 steps which Dave's both time and money.

@JustAnotherDingus have you looked at the new GFC V2 Pro enhancements? Valid points that LP has more features, but really comes at cost of more weight which I value over some of those features which I can work around. I think GFC comes in around 275 lbs and LP around 400 lbs.

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
Thank you both for thoughtful responses. I do recognize the TH and 32"+ A/T tires aren't the greatest daily driver choice. Coming from a gen 2 with off-road tires less all the gen 4 improvements, and a Chevy Express conversion van before that, this combination is still a significant improvement and acceptable in my definition of daily driver though. I also don't intend to mod my wheels/tires - pretty happy with stock.

My daily driver consideration is really I want to minimize excessive "permanent" mods to the point of being a broverlander 24/7/365 (no offense to people who choose to) and not be able to use the truck for anything other than going outdoors. That said - I do have motorcycles and wife's sedan as backup.

Wind/Road Noise - I'm really impressed by the acoustic glass and active noise cancellation in cab with the gen 4. Don't have a problem with noise now. I however have a mental image that the wedge overhang will act like a massive scoop and just catch a ton of wind, so curious how true that is.

@bitflogger I considered the stepping stone solution of FasTop, some RTT, some hardshell camper shell (again), but know my target is a wedge camper so keen to skip the hassle of 2 steps which Dave's both time and money.

@JustAnotherDingus have you looked at the new GFC V2 Pro enhancements? Valid points that LP has more features, but really comes at cost of more weight which I value over some of those features which I can work around. I think GFC comes in around 275 lbs and LP around 400 lbs.
Your post made me smile a little - I did not know the "broverlander" term. When I first got my pickup some guys at trailhead could not believe I was throwing tools in brand new pickup and on a rough trail access. I've pulled out of trail system to trailhead and a guy with a gen 3 all decked out and shiny couldn't believe how I was trashing it.

In all honesty I think it is neat there are products for that stuff but I also know how truly capable lesser stuff is because I've been a guide, trail builder and ski area crew over 30+ years and we did that with lesser stuff.

I'll stand firm though that the OEM Trail T/A on a lot of 2024s can be 3PMSF and has surpassed my expectations for use I'm sure most Tacomas don't get and being quite civil for road travel.

I'll keep watching posts like thus until I decide for sure there will be no tent topper.

Sponsored

gumbo

First Name
erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road 6MT
I have a short bed off road and went with the loan peak primarily because of cost and internal space/ access to bed with my daughter sleeping below. I got none of the add ons lone peak offers so I am at the lowest weight camper they sell (which I believe is more like 350 but I didnā€™t weigh before and after so I canā€™t be positive on this). Cost of the gfc alone with no add ons except a tent door was almost twice what I paid for my bare bones LP that included cab windows and all around tent doors/windows.

The parking garage thing is going to be a problem with either one. Mineā€™s sitting at 7ā€™10ā€ with no additional weight in the back, but I do have cali raised sliders and front molle panel so thatā€™s around 150 extra pounds too. My vehicle use sounds pretty similar to yours.

As for noise, I only notice a very slight wind noise when freeway driving. I bought some of the channel covers but havenā€™t even slid em in yet since itā€™s been so negligible. The weight is noticeable and if you drive with a lead foot up hills all the time your mileage will tank. I have had to learn not to gas it at every green light living in hilly Seattle and have gone from an 18.7 mpg avg daily driving to 17.5.

I am 5ā€™11ā€ and my toes were touching the roof at the end of the bed with the LP but I just learned today that you can slide the bed base back a little and stop this, I would have been screwed with a gfc.

I ordered mine with the standard acrylic window (they were free when I placed my order in February) but LP called when they were building it and hooked up the drop down/ pass through window for free because they said it works better with the 4th gen Tacomas. I donā€™t even have a pass through window on my truck but the size and quality of the glass LP window is much nicer than the rear acrylic window.

Some buyers have had issues with loosening bolts and other parts, along with the water in some of the extrusions as you mentioned, so this is something to watch while gfc has a lot more experience in the game and has done a lot more r&d just by being an older company. Your location and whether or not you have to pay for shipping and install may also impact your decision if youā€™re on a budget like I was. Oh, and you should probably expect to upgrade the rear springs at some point too. Mineā€™s a little bouncier and will hit the bump stops with a big speed bump.

All this said, the lone peak is awesome and is a total game changer for last minute camping trips! I am super happy with my decision and my family has loved our trips in it so far.

2024 Tacoma Question for GFC and Lonepeak owners IMG_6135

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
@jaslim hey there! Yeah I did look closely at the v2 pro and I still ordered a lone peak. The weight savings are fantastic with the GFC, but I really did want single hand operation for the side doors as silly as it sounds. Plus pop lock makes actuators for that style of paddle lock so it shouldnā€™t be too difficult to wire that into the trucks 12v system (in theory) if I diy a little bracket for the actuator to sit on. That alone would make my life so much easier. Iā€™m in and out of my vehicle all day going from vendor to vendor and backing into loading docks etc and Iā€™m always in a hurry because my job expects me to zoom along at ten million miles an hour even though no oneā€™s life is on the line lol. Might seem silly but the lock thing matters a lot for my use case! I also opted for the roof fan since I have a dog and sometimes during lunch I power nap in the back and plan to do so without deploying the tent once I get this installed (which should be possible given the lone peaks pass through space. I figured that would be a nice creature comfort since it gets damn hot here in the summer. Iā€™ve debated bolting an awning with some sort of quick release bracket on there too for lunch breaks at any distant location especially if I have to go into the desert at all. Other than the fan and some wire ports and a rear window, my Lone peak spec sheet is pretty barebones - which made the price point even more appealing!

I looked at the super pacific too but it was out of my price range ~ those things are super solid though. Iā€™ve seen a few in person.

I might end up looking like an inadvertent broverlander when all is said and done though whoops šŸ˜‚ ah well

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
Your post made me smile a little - I did not know the "broverlander" term. When I first got my pickup some guys at trailhead could not believe I was throwing tools in brand new pickup and on a rough trail access. I've pulled out of trail system to trailhead and a guy with a gen 3 all decked out and shiny couldn't believe how I was trashing it.

In all honesty I think it is neat there are products for that stuff but I also know how truly capable lesser stuff is because I've been a guide, trail builder and ski area crew over 30+ years and we did that with lesser stuff.

I'll stand firm though that the OEM Trail T/A on a lot of 2024s can be 3PMSF and has surpassed my expectations for use I'm sure most Tacomas don't get and being quite civil for road travel.

I'll keep watching posts like thus until I decide for sure there will be no tent topper.
I thought the oem tires didnā€™t come with the three peak rating? Am I mis-remembering that?

gofastdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Tacoma OR, '08 Mazda MX-5, '20 Volvo V60
As I type (swipe?) this I'm sitting in dispersed camping in the national forest just outside Lassen National Park in northern California on week three of a three week trip. I was the first 4th Gen Tacoma to take delivery of a Lone Peak (a matter of pride although a silly one). I'd post a picture of my current camp but I doubt it would ever load.

I looked at all the options and eventually pre-ordered a Lone Peak in November of '22. You'll never get that deal again but even if I hadn't gotten so many discounts and were ordering it today I'd still buy it.

The GFC is less weight but we're talking a difference of maybe 75lbs. In the long run that's not consequential. Regardless which option you go with I can almost guarantee you'll end up looking for heavier springs no matter what camper you buy. I installed Dobinsons springs designed for the LC and they're great.i have a thread somewhere here if you search for it. I really don't notice the weight in daily use.

That said, fuel economy sucks. I probably am carrying over 1,200lbs and on this trip I'm averaging maybe 15 or 16 mpg. Just suck it up. It's the price we pay and it's worth it. I've driven just over 3,000 miles on this trip and spent $900 on gas.

Wind noise doesn't bother me. There was an annoying whistle until I installed the filler strips in the front channel and that took care of that. Is it louder than having no camper? Sure, but I normally listen to the stereo anyway and never notice the additional noise. It will be there no matter what option you go with.

I have the roof vent and although I think it's worth it, it does make the camper taller. I also have the load bars and recovery boards mounted on top of that so it's even taller. Lone Peak has two options for the load bars and I got the taller ones so things could clear the vent but my advice is to go with the shorter bars. Carrying recovery boards and whatnot are always going to mount on one side or the other of the vent and not touch it so it really doesn't matter unless you're intent on putting something on top that covers the whole roof. I can't think what that might be. I have 8 foot garage doors though and I can drive my truck in the garage IF I take the recovery boards off. Again, I think this will be an issue no matter what camper you go with.

I do have water in the extrusion channels and I've pinged Keesha about it but honestly I'm not concerned. The only problem would be if water froze in there and split the extrusion. I think that's a possibility but if that happens I expect LP to cover it.

Regarding time to delivery, yes, LP was REALLY late compared to their initial estimate but that's what allowed me to change my truck (I had a 2016 GMC Canyon when I initially placed my order). At this point they're fully in production and I think your odds of getting it on a promised date are pretty good. Just be prepared to extend a little grace.

So, all in all I'm very happy with LP. Keesha and Kyle are great people and I'm happy to support them. I've looked at the GFC and think the LP is a much better deal. If I had unlimited funds I'd probably go with Super Pacific or Alu-Cab, but money is a factor and LP is close enough in quality that I'm happy to save the money. They are new and they're still learning but frankly for the price I'm happy to be a beta tester for them and trust they'll make it right if I run into a showstopper.
Sponsored