2024 Tacoma TRD Pro Full Transmission Replacement After 342 Miles

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Out of curiosity... if you purchase a brand new vehicle such as the OP here and the entire transmission is replaced with a brand new one, what happens to the value of your brand new truck? One of the major selling points of Toyotas, especially Tacomas and 4Runners, is their resale value. Wouldn't something like a transmission replacement, or any serious mechanical repair (even if it's still a very low mileage vehicle), significantly reduce that vehicle's resale value, or am I wrong to assume this? I've never experienced something like this (knock on wood). I'm loving mine so far, and I tell myself that I plan on keeping it for a long time, but I also know myself pretty well lol. I can definitely envision myself looking for a '26 or '27 TRD Pro down the road, and I'd be pretty, pretty bummed out if an issue like this was to hurt my trade-in value or even turn away potential buyers in the private market. The Pro looks so damn good! I just wish it had a manual transmission... maybe in a few years? I read somewhere that Toyota was working on developing a MT for their hybrid powertrains, but now I'm off on a tangent.
My 2023 sr5 was in the shop about 8 times with various complaints from me about vibrations, rough idling, other things all documented by Toyota I offed that truck for my 4th gen couldn’t be happier! It didn’t affect my resale value at all, in fact I only took a 2k hit on trade. Sales department didn’t even look at my services history or care. So i would say no it doesn’t affect resale value at all. Another thing that makes carfax a joke is all the service visits that come up say those visits were for maintence and it leads the consumer to believe the truck was at the dealer for maintence back to back and registers this as a good thing, when in reality it was for problems that weren’t ever resolved. One of the many reasons I will never buy a preowned(new) vehicle
Sponsored

guterz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Just got word from my dealer today that my 24 Tacoma SR5 4x4 Long Bed will need its transmission replaced. It had 1200 miles and I lost gears 1-5 when driving. After I parked I turned off the truck, turned it back on, and every gear worked. After an analysis they saw some metal shavings in the transmission fluid and the computer noted that it had an issue with the solenoid. What’s interesting is that no check engine light or anything popped up when it happened. The dealer has no ETA on when they’ll get the new transmission but they put me up in a Tundra rental.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Just got word from my dealer today that my 24 Tacoma SR5 4x4 Long Bed will need its transmission replaced. It had 1200 miles and I lost gears 1-5 when driving. After I parked I turned off the truck, turned it back on, and every gear worked. After an analysis they saw some metal shavings in the transmission fluid and the computer noted that it had an issue with the solenoid. What’s interesting is that no check engine light or anything popped up when it happened. The dealer has no ETA on when they’ll get the new transmission but they put me up in a Tundra rental.
Jeez this is getting sad honestly, tundra now tacoma

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
Out of curiosity... if you purchase a brand new vehicle such as the OP here and the entire transmission is replaced with a brand new one, what happens to the value of your brand new truck? One of the major selling points of Toyotas, especially Tacomas and 4Runners, is their resale value. Wouldn't something like a transmission replacement, or any serious mechanical repair (even if it's still a very low mileage vehicle), significantly reduce that vehicle's resale value, or am I wrong to assume this? I've never experienced something like this (knock on wood). I'm loving mine so far, and I tell myself that I plan on keeping it for a long time, but I also know myself pretty well lol. I can definitely envision myself looking for a '26 or '27 TRD Pro down the road, and I'd be pretty, pretty bummed out if an issue like this was to hurt my trade-in value or even turn away potential buyers in the private market. The Pro looks so damn good! I just wish it had a manual transmission... maybe in a few years? I read somewhere that Toyota was working on developing a MT for their hybrid powertrains, but now I'm off on a tangent.
That did not hurt the value of my 4Runner that had the transmission dropped and major parts replaced 3x in a combo of what became a recall or TSB and dealer incompetence. Our Sienna had the doors and brakes recalls plus a minor body repair. What people wanted to and did pay or it was kind of nuts.

There's always risks with vehicle ownership and resale. If you think you can't afford what might be a 5% to maybe even 20% hit to value, maybe you shouldn't be buying a novelty and niche vehicle in the first place. Almost always top/niche/luxury models lose more value. If Toyota brings out a Maverick competitor it would likely eat a lot of the Tacoma sales because the short bed models are not as efficient and practical as other vehicles.

Kdbradley85

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR MT
There's always risks with vehicle ownership and resale. If you think you can't afford what might be a 5% to maybe even 20% hit to value, maybe you shouldn't be buying a novelty and niche vehicle in the first place. Almost always top/niche/luxury models lose more value. If Toyota brings out a Maverick competitor it would likely eat a lot of the Tacoma sales because the short bed models are not as efficient and practical as other vehicles.
I didn’t realize Tacomas were “niche” or luxury vehicles 😂. Maybe don’t assume it’s not about what others can afford and more about what’s right. Customers shouldn’t have to “afford” unexpected losses from malfunctioning parts and should be compensated for such losses, no? What about the payments you are making on a vehicle that you don’t possess while waiting for parts that are on back order? I’m confident that Toyota will take care of their customers, but at the same time, passing it off as a risk we take when buying a new vehicle is a bit idiotic, no offense intended. The manufacturer should be the one who holds the risk for selling faulty merchandise. Customers should be fairly compensated by the manufacturer unless it can be shown that the customer caused the failure and not a defect or oversight in the manufacturing process. Not only is a customer left without the car that they purchased while waiting for repairs necessary because of a defect, but a less than factory installed replacement (not that it couldn’t be perfectly fine) part, especially something like a major drivetrain component, is going to hurt the value of your vehicle, even if only slightly. I would hesitate to purchase such a vehicle, and I know I’m not alone in that sentiment. I own a 2024 Tacoma, so I have a vested interest in seeing these new trucks succeed in every way. Stories like these are a little troubling.

Sponsored

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
I didn’t realize Tacomas were “niche” or luxury vehicles 😂. Maybe don’t assume it’s not about what others can afford and more about what’s right. Customers shouldn’t have to “afford” unexpected losses from malfunctioning parts and should be compensated for such losses, no? What about the payments you are making on a vehicle that you don’t possess while waiting for parts that are on back order? I’m confident that Toyota will take care of their customers, but at the same time, passing it off as a risk we take when buying a new vehicle is a bit idiotic, no offense intended. The manufacturer should be the one who holds the risk for selling faulty merchandise. Customers should be fairly compensated by the manufacturer unless it can be shown that the customer caused the failure and not a defect or oversight in the manufacturing process. Not only is a customer left without the car that they purchased while waiting for repairs necessary because of a defect, but a less than factory installed replacement (not that it couldn’t be perfectly fine) part, especially something like a major drivetrain component, is going to hurt the value of your vehicle, even if only slightly. I would hesitate to purchase such a vehicle, and I know I’m not alone in that sentiment. I own a 2024 Tacoma, so I have a vested interest in seeing these new trucks succeed in every way. Stories like these are a little troubling.
I replied to a comment on the to TRD Pro that by a few measures is a halo/top/niche/luxury type vehicle. Also with knowing those types often retain less value than other vehicles. My advice for someone worried about retaining value with a Tacoma would be consider a long bed with mid to nicer level build but not all out halo type model.

Out of service from parts availability is a broad problem. I assumed this risk from experience as long as a decade ago. Our other vehicles two in and two out of warranty have all had up to 6 month waits for parts including after the pandemic. If my new Tacoma has a problem and can't gets parts in a timely manner I'll be unhappy, reasonably poke at them, but know I took that risk.

When my 4Runner had repeat clutch problems that became a TSB or recall under warranty the Internet was sure they would be doomed. It didn't work that way. When I sold it people were bidding up a vehicle that had the transmission dropped 3x, two throwout bearings and a new clutch. It would have been once if the dealer would have read TSBs.

Jcisco951

First Name
Jozie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma trd sport
Update : I had 5000 miles and my auto trans went out. Truck has been at dealer for 3 weeks waiting for trans and torque convert. They just came in today. They gave me a loaner 2022 tacoma access cab. Even tho I ask for crew cab. I have 2 car seats so the past 3 weeks have been a hassle. Toyota service tech where my truck is at said should be a couple days to get trans in and get a few cycles on the trans. My fingers are crossed this new trans is and torgue converter are the fix. I will be asking Toyota corporate for a report on what happened to the original trans. Can’t wait to have my truck back.

Wutangz_Taco

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro Tacoma
Update : I had 5000 miles and my auto trans went out. Truck has been at dealer for 3 weeks waiting for trans and torque convert. They just came in today. They gave me a loaner 2022 tacoma access cab. Even tho I ask for crew cab. I have 2 car seats so the past 3 weeks have been a hassle. Toyota service tech where my truck is at said should be a couple days to get trans in and get a few cycles on the trans. My fingers are crossed this new trans is and torgue converter are the fix. I will be asking Toyota corporate for a report on what happened to the original trans. Can’t wait to have my truck back.
Oh, man. I really hope these fixes are now being included in the new builds. Mine just got built a week ago. Thanks for going through this and reporting back on what’s happening. Sorry it’s happened though.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
When did you start noticing the issues(miles) what happened ??

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
When did you start noticing the issues(miles) what happened ??
I also would be interested if these automatic transmission failures are all from a single issue, and if so- I wonder what is failing? I crawled under my truck tonight and looked at the driver’s side, next to the transfer case- looks like I can put a big Tran’s oil cooler with an electric fan. I know there is a OE heat exchanger, but I would certainly prefer to have a large trans cooler with a temp sensor and fan, set up to protect the trans fluid from heating up. I replace the stock exhaust with a magnaflow cat back system. The weight difference is huge. The stock exhaust is fantastic but weighs a lot. I wanted to hear the exhaust… now I hear fart pipe/angry bumble bee sound, ugh.. but I have never put exhaust on a four banger. I am curious to know what it sounds like under WOT, but I only have 400 miles on the truck and I am breaking it in gently.

Sponsored

Jcisco951

First Name
Jozie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma trd sport
Oh, man. I really hope these fixes are now being included in the new builds. Mine just got built a week ago. Thanks for going through this and reporting back on what’s happening. Sorry it’s happened though.
I really hope they did fix the problem. It was heartbreaking when the trans went out. Some ppl reported trans failures at 300 miles and some later like me at 5000. So I guess there is no “I’m in the clear” mark.

Jcisco951

First Name
Jozie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma trd sport
I also would be interested if these automatic transmission failures are all from a single issue, and if so- I wonder what is failing? I crawled under my truck tonight and looked at the driver’s side, next to the transfer case- looks like I can put a big Tran’s oil cooler with an electric fan. I know there is a OE heat exchanger, but I would certainly prefer to have a large trans cooler with a temp sensor and fan, set up to protect the trans fluid from heating up. I replace the stock exhaust with a magnaflow cat back system. The weight difference is huge. The stock exhaust is fantastic but weighs a lot. I wanted to hear the exhaust… now I hear fart pipe/angry bumble bee sound, ugh.. but I have never put exhaust on a four banger. I am curious to know what it sounds like under WOT, but I only have 400 miles on the truck and I am breaking it in gently.
the service tech where my truck is at couldn’t look at the trans. They have to send it to Toyota so engineers can look and see the cause. But I seen post where dealer techs did look and trans and report low oil from factory, or debris in trans. I would ask dealer to do a drain and fill before leaving the dealer. I should have done that.

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
the service tech where my truck is at couldn’t look at the trans. They have to send it to Toyota so engineers can look and see the cause. But I seen post where dealer techs did look and trans and report low oil from factory, or debris in trans. I would ask dealer to do a drain and fill before leaving the dealer. I should have done that.
Thank you. I have a funnel and two quarts of atf, stashed in my truck.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
It’s pathetic honestly this is how the tundra engine issues started . Just started to be one after the other dropping like flies, COME ON TOYOTA! Give us some answers , most of us are loyal buyers/owners, we deserve to know soon.
Sponsored