Sponsored

2024 Toyota Tacoma engine noise reduction with premium fuel

SnowmanJPS

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Subaru Outback XT (24 Pro on order)
Hy bud you're supposed to running premium in Suby turbo'd engines. I have an STi and an Outback XT. Just being safe and hoping to help.
It’s not required on my 2022, I choose to run premium, especially on a turbo engine
Sponsored

hoodouken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2021 Subaru Outback, 2024 TRD OR Tacoma
It’s not required on my 2022, I choose to run premium, especially on a turbo engine
I get you - it says you don't have to on the Outback but it's the same engine in the WRX. Been friends with a Suby mechanic for almost 20 years and says if you plan on keeping it, run 91/93.
Cheers!

JustDSM

ELITE Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad
Hello Tacoma4G!

I almost made a new thread on this topic, but I thought we'd chime in with some data and observations we've made on our newly acquired 2024 Tacoma. When we picked up our truck from the dealer, they were kind enough to top it off with Utah's finest 85 Octane.

The vehicle's initial testing and evaluation took place with fuel provided, and the motor was quite audible. While conducting data for later analysis on a specific mountain route, we could see the ECU registering the knock events as we heard audible pinging.

To run the last 1/4 tank of 85 Octane fuel out of the truck, we scheduled some dyno time for baseline testing. Immediately following our dyno session, we filled the truck up with some quality 91 octane fuel, and the motor instantly became much quieter. It's still a noisy thing (IMO), but it's tolerable on 91 Octane. The long term knock learning trims were more favorable on the 91 Octane fuel too. Fast forward a week or so later, we strapped the truck back down for some further testing and development :wink: The results are quite shocking, to say the least. 85 Octane vs. 91 Octane on the stock calibration:

2024 Tacoma 2024 Toyota Tacoma engine noise reduction with premium fuel 4G Tacoma (85 Octane vs 91 Octane) Stock Calibration

Last edited:

CuriousTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD OR Base
Here I was being happy to finally not have a vehicle requiring premium fuel.. now I have to go try a tank of it for shits and giggles.

Sponsored

Rocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 trd w/upgrade
Hello Tacoma4G!

I almost made a new thread on this topic, but I thought we'd chime in with some data and observations we've made on our newly acquired 2024 Tacoma. When we picked up our truck from the dealer, they were kind enough to top it off with Utah's finest 85 Octane.

The vehicle's initial testing and evaluation took place with fuel provided, and the motor was quite audible. While conducting data for later analysis on a specific mountain route, we could see the ECU registering the knock events as we heard audible pinging.

To run the last 1/4 tank of 85 Octane fuel out of the truck, we scheduled some dyno time for baseline testing. Immediately following our dyno session, we filled the truck up with some quality 91 octane fuel, and the motor instantly became much quieter. It's still a noisy thing (IMO), but it's tolerable on 91 Octane. The long term knock learning trims were more favorable on the 91 Octane fuel too. Fast forward a week or so later, we strapped the truck back down for some further testing and development :wink: The results are quite shocking, to say the least. 85 Octane vs. 91 Octane on the stock calibration:

4G Tacoma (85 Octane vs 91 Octane) Stock Calibration.jpg
Omg, that is nuts. thanks guys for posting that for us.

Baltimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gen1.5 Highlander v6 AWD, gen4 Taco Ltd Max
Omg, that is nuts. thanks guys for posting that for us.
For those of us without as many gas options, and for clarity of the data; are these octnes on 10% ethanol blend? Or pure?

It's damn near impossible for me to find unblended in Maryland these days

Would love to see these tests - performance and sound/knock on 87 vs 91; 10% ethanol and pure. I'm suspecting no difference in mpg though for the ~75c/gal price difference

JustDSM

ELITE Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad
The above tests were done with pump gas from the same Shell station, which has the common "Fuel contains up to 10% Ethanol content" label. (y)
Sponsored