All it took was 600 mi to get the check engine light on

Madmez

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav
The shutter issue may be an easy fix you could possibly solve yourself. Remove any debris/mud/lodged pebble from the shutter assembly and that particular code should clear itself.

I recently had this same issue and simply washed my truck focusing on the front and never did take it in to the dealer. The check engine light cleared itself and hasn't appeared again since.

I plan on waiting for the hybrid TRD Off-road and hopefully these issues will be resolved by then 🤞
Hopefully it clears, I did find someone on reddit with the same issue. When he got it back from the dealer, they told him the sensor was already corroded and had to be replaced.
Sponsored

kweevuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 6MT OR
Was your truck ever on QC hold? That’s apparently the reason why some are stuck, and would be interesting data if it was or not.

jspirate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 5MT Tacoma
I plan on waiting for the hybrid TRD Off-road and hopefully these issues will be resolved by then 🤞
OP, this is terrible news, but thanks for sharing it. This and the other threads have convinced me to pick up a low mileage used 2023. Hopefully the used car market doesn't tank and next year I will take another look at the 2024 or 2025. Maybe by then Toyota will have the bugs ironed out...

Disappointed.

Blue Crush Taco

First Name
Dare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport
600 mi and the check engine light came on, really not pleased. I'll be going to the dealership Monday I'll give enough date as to what they tell me
20240309_142044.jpg
20240309_142042.jpg
20240309_142040.jpg
20240309_142038.jpg
20240309_142028.jpg
20240309_142022.jpg
Looks like this shutter system going to give problems.........hopefully it's just a loose connection again. Hate to see this though with only 600 miles.... looks like us early adopters are the real world testers for sure!

GL Rockwell

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 tacoma OR
My buddy's 23 Gladiator had sensor malfunctions after crawling and hitting some trails. It not being a beta year for the Gladiator means you should NEVER buy the 4th gen tacoma and forever stick with the 3rd gen.

Stay safe out there, there's a lot of risks !

Sponsored

beninbeta

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
This is rumored to be the big QC hold on units at the ports. Something was up with the harnesses and they are all corroded so they are getting replaced.
Mine came in yesterday and it was a QC hold truck. I pick it up next week so we'll see....
Initial test drive was sweet though. It'll be great to be back in a truck again.

OP
OP

ableduhbest

First Name
Able
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OFF-ROAD
Was your truck ever on QC hold? That’s apparently the reason why some are stuck, and would be interesting data if it was or not.
The day it was delivered was the day I picked it up, as far as I'm aware it was never on hold

Independence Overland

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
Mine came in yesterday and it was a QC hold truck. I pick it up next week so we'll see....
Initial test drive was sweet though. It'll be great to be back in a truck again.
Good deal, I imagine the harness got swapped then. Congrats! At this rate, my Trailhunter will be October!

beninbeta

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson

Sponsored

Type2Diabetes

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR - Silver
This is rumored to be the big QC hold on units at the ports. Something was up with the harnesses and they are all corroded so they are getting replaced.
Ya I heard this rumor as well. I bought my OR premium on Feb 10th. I have had it in whiteout snow for close to 200 miles, torrential down pours for 150 miles and 80 miles of off road in Monongahela National Forest. Over 2k miles and it’s been flawless. With that said I don’t do automatic car washes. I just hose it off and hand wash at home.

I’m really hoping I’m going to avoid this issue as I’ve have so far, but pretty scary cause I go off the grid quite a lot. Hopefully a recall will happen soon if the harness is truly the case.

CATOY

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium and 2007 Sequioa LTD
Curious as to why they are making you wait to pick yours up, do you think your dealer will perform the harness swap instead of them doing it

beninbeta

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
Curious as to why they are making you wait to pick yours up, do you think your dealer will perform the harness swap instead of them doing it
It came in late yesterday, so it wasn't ready to pick up. No issues, that I'm aware of. We also have to get a few things in order on our end too.

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Ya I heard this rumor as well. I bought my OR premium on Feb 10th. I have had it in whiteout snow for close to 200 miles, torrential down pours for 150 miles and 80 miles of off road in Monongahela National Forest. Over 2k miles and it’s been flawless. With that said I don’t do automatic car washes. I just hose it off and hand wash at home.

I’m really hoping I’m going to avoid this issue as I’ve have so far, but pretty scary cause I go off the grid quite a lot. Hopefully a recall will happen soon if the harness is truly the case.
I got mine last week. I have driven it in the rain since but nothing like your ventures. So far so good. Do you think ours got through before the hold or were part of the hold but got fixed and released early in the harness change? My door jam says 1/24 build date.

First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-road
600 mi and the check engine light came on, really not pleased. I'll be going to the dealership Monday I'll give enough date as to what they tell me
20240309_142044.jpg
20240309_142042.jpg
20240309_142040.jpg
20240309_142038.jpg
20240309_142028.jpg
20240309_142022.jpg
I had the same issue, after about 150 miles. The dealer told me the grill shutter connection was wet, implying that it was not properly connected when manufactured. He also speculated that this may be a wider problem with the way they are sealing these connections. He dried the connection, then sealed with marine sealant and the codes cleared. I have driven another couple hundred miles and so far so good.
Sponsored